importing seeds to thailand

• 2 weeks later...

I've purchased dozens of seeds on many different occassions from a site in the UK. All arrived safe and sound. You might want to tell the seller to write "garden supplies" or something similar on the package. 

Regarding the previous comment on certificates and declarations: I've only encountered this when trying to import live plants - never for seeds. 

• 3 weeks later...

I imported seeds before through Thailand Post. I had to go down to the customs offices near the Hua Lampong train station. I had to wait for them to find the package, then take it to a special office for plants, where they opened the box. They then asked me questions about what the seeds were to verify they were not dangerous or prohibited. A phytosanitary certificate was required. (This was before GMO was a concern.) Once I had answered their questions, they opened the box in front of me and took a sample which they put in a sealed specimen container. After that I simply had to go pay the fees and they allowed me to leave with the seeds.

It took about 4 hours due to waiting in all the queues, but the process itself wasn't unreasonable. In my case, the seeds were simple moringa seeds, so nothing exotic. Do make sure to have a Thai speaker with you, as none of the people you are dealing with will be able to speak English. I assume there are other customs offices with the same capability if you are not near Bangkok. Note that not every customs facility has the ability to deal with plants and seeds, and the package will be held at one that does.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived