Is it better to retire in Bangkok rather than Chiang Mai?

EricTh

Cheaper living in Bangkok?  No way.  I lived in CM for 5 years and now BKK.  

You won’t find a restaurant like the Dukes for the same price.  Sushi is 2-3x the price of Tsunami.  

Condos are cheaper if you want to live in the exurbs...such as Bang Khae.

Why CM or BKK and not any other areas? I have lived in both. BKK will suck your pocket book faster but actually is really more fun than CM on the nightlife comparison. No comparison anyway you look at it. So if you don't worry about money, then it depends on your interests of fun. I do like and have the best of both worlds as visit Bangkok at least one time per month when rounded out from all the continual travel..  

13 minutes ago, olfu said:

Bangkok is polluted and I start coughing there after 2 days.

Chiang Mai is far more dangerous overall if your stay includes any of the first four months of the year. I still prefer Chiang Mai as a place to live, but it is no longer feasible as a year-round residence.

8 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Why CM or BKK and not any other areas? I have lived in both. BKK will suck your pocket book faster but actually is really more fun than CM on the nightlife comparison. No comparison anyway you look at it. So if you don't worry about money, then it depends on your interests of fun. I do like and have the best of both worlds as visit Bangkok at least one time per month when rounded out from all the continual travel..  

Did you watch the video posted above? That guy said certain parts of Bangkok is better.

He's living in Banghae or Bangkhae..

3 hours ago, MJKT2014 said:

Possibly true but the subject isn't "Is it better to retire in Bangkok rather than next door to Dukes in Chiang Mai?"

I’m just commenting on one aspect of the video.  Claiming that Bangkok is cheaper than Chiang Mai (for food and rent) just isn’t true.  

4 hours ago, EricTh said:

Did you watch the video posted above? That guy said certain parts of Bangkok is better.

He's living in Banghae or Bangkhae..

I have lived in Bangkok and have family there on the outside. I go there regularly and there are some good things, the nightlife in Bangkok is superior. But I prefer to live in CM.

Chiang Mai used to be better, but since they ruined the nightlife, the Chinese invasion, the garbage and air problems, I am glad I live on the edge of BKK.  Immigration is way better, and so is transit.  Things change, often for the worse, but there are so many things to discover here.  CM continues to be a magnet for visa runners, feminazis, and negative net worth individuals, who have drank too much Koolaid, coming through a revolving door.  Seems to be the epicenter of the teaching con game, ironically being just about the worst place to work in the country.  

I did like living by CMU, liked the track, trails, and farm, but the municipal management only got worse.  Traces of blood in my nose was just about the clincher..and the stench of garbage from the fourth floor.

i will vote no for cm.

just revisited to see my old dentist after living here several years previous.

local thais seem <deleted> off for no real reason. lots of new modern malls going up all over. if thats your scene might as well do bkk. if not, try chiang rai.

On 8/31/2019 at 10:53 AM, NCC1701A said:

I am glad every person on the internet is exactly the same so when a question is posed, one single answer will suffice.

Not every person on the internet is the same, which is the problem!

Lucky for them, I am here to tell them why they are wrong not to be the same as me.????

No need to thank me, I do what I can.

My opinion is based on living in CM for 6 months and 3 nights in Bangkok so quite unbalanced.

Good-Chaing Mai is cheaper. Not so humid. A lot smaller so easier to get around.  Bad-Pollution from burning was awful and no way would I visit Feb-April again. Curfew is annoying if you don't want to visit a night club then sitting in a bar with the shutters down slowly choking to death on cigarette smoke is your only option. 

Archived