Football shirt sales – winners and losers

rooster59

Football shirt sales – winners and losers

David Buckley

cropped-arsenal-3.jpg

Arsenal lead the way in London but their home strip is second in the UK shirt table

Figures have been released to show how the shirts of football teams have fared in terms of sales in recent weeks and months.

The home strips of two London teams – Arsenal and Chelsea – feature in the top five but the balance (it may come as no surprise) are from the north-west of England.

Arsenal’s home shirt is placed second on the list and their blue and banana yellow strip is top of the away kits. Indeed, sales of the away top would feature eighth overall for sales. Demand for it has increased 105% year-on-year. This is the first season with new shirt sponsor Adidas, the three stripes brand.

Chelsea’s blue home kit is fifth. To make it distinctive (and maybe to try to screw up the people producing fake kits illegally) the design on the Nike shirt depicts elements of the beams and supports to be found in the stands at Stamford Bridge.

In No 1 spot is Liverpool. No surprises there. The holders of the Champions League title have seen demand nearly double compared with last season.

Full story: https://londoninspire.co.uk/football-shirt-sales-winners-and-losers/

1RHcVpx.jpg

-- © Copyright London Inspire in Thailand

Follow London Inspire on Facebook

I think Wigan dropped a clanger when they played in florescent lemon a few seasons back. Who wants to walk around Wigan town with all the rugby boys pointing and laughing at them; calling them lemon-tops? Sold less than 100 shirts all season. Hope all the unsold find their way to Thailand; 99 Baht a pop.

8 hours ago, champers said:

Leicester played in a pink away kit at Chelsea. Wonder how that sells.

Didn't the Scottish team play in pink at the world cup finals in South America a while back? I can recall their world cup get together song. One line said; "Rink a dink a dink. Support the boys in pink." Dear, dear dear. And the next line went; "And it's easy, easy."

For me it not so much the colour than the sponsorship that spoils a shirt.

Here’s a prime example of bad taste from Huddersfield Town, still riding high from a spectacular season .

IMG_2655.JPG

How could things get this bad, how could this be allowed I hear you say ??

Don’t dismay, turns out the Terriers were pulling a prank to highlight that shirt sponsorship has got out of hand and their actual kit this season is sponsorship free.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/business/huddersfield-towns-fake-shirt-stunt-16639706

A surprisingly high number of sales for the tacky shirt though and a bit of a win win situation:
The fans who bought them got a “ cult “ status shirt.
Paddypower got some good advertising.
Huddersfield may have started a welcome trend, sponsorship free football kits.

Maybe that’s a win , win , win situation ??

On 9/2/2019 at 8:28 AM, Andrew Dwyer said:

A surprisingly high number of sales for the tacky shirt though and a bit of a win win situation:
The fans who bought them got a “ cult “ status shirt.
Paddypower got some good advertising.
Huddersfield may have started a welcome trend, sponsorship free football kits.

Maybe that’s a win , win , win situation ??

I think football could take note of what happens on the seedier side of the internet. A low quality vid' of an interesting incident is free but if the voyeur/watcher wants to see more, or  insists on better quality, then he/she is required to pay.

How much does it cost to get a shirt into the club's shop? A couple of quid? Make two shirts. A cheapo that is given to all supporters at the club, and a quality one for sale at 50 squids, for the hoity-toitees. Surely the idea is to get thousands of people walking about with the shirt sporting the sponsor's logo!?

Can't expect people, who depend on food banks, to fork out exorbitant amounts of dosh for a shirt

I think football could take note of what happens on the seedier side of the internet. A low quality vid' of an interesting incident is free but if the voyeur/watcher wants to see more, or  insists on better quality, then he/she is required to pay.

How much does it cost to get a shirt into the club's shop? A couple of quid? Make two shirts. A cheapo that is given to all supporters at the club, and a quality one for sale at 50 squids, for the hoity-toitees. Surely the idea is to get thousands of people walking about with the shirt sporting the sponsor's logo!?

Can't expect people, who depend on food banks, to fork out exorbitant amounts of dosh for a shirt

Back in 2014 I was working in Brazil ( Brasilia ) with a colleague while the World Cup was in progress ( went to Switzerland v Ecuador ).
The atmosphere in the city was electric, with huge screens set up in various venues showing all the matches.

My colleague convinced me we had to buy an official England shirt for when “ we “ were playing at around £55 .
( my Yorkshire extravagance immune system took a big hit that day ).
Bought a Brazil shirt from a guy in the street for a quid ( immune system restored ) and although there was a huge difference between the prices of the shirts it was the wearing of them at the different matches which made the cost insignificant.

The Brazil shirt survived about 3 washes and the England shirt is still going strong .

This obviously was an extreme anecdote and I don’t pay that high or low anymore.

Would have bought a Thailand national team shirt the other day in Big C, looked great in black !!, on sale for 299 baht but the biggest size was XL and was a bit tight ( just like me !! ) [emoji51]

9 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Saw a young thai man in the gym the other night wearing a Spurs shirt. I mention it as he's the first thai I've ever seen wearing one.

Yup, kinda strange that what with the "face" thing they have going on !!

He probably only wears it in the gym !!

Archived