Government hospitals price increase up to almost 400% from 30. 9. 2019

Trollmann

It seems like really bad news coming for retirees and those married to thai wife. All on O visa and Tourists now have to pay double prices (adding to the general price increases in effect 30.9) in govenment hospitals in thailand from 30 september 2019

So planning to go to the hospital soon, then do it as soon as you can before the price shock gets info effect.

Expamples from the new price list shows almost 400% price increase from TODAYS prices.

image.png.bbed58bfc8ad4f928465964862130b34.png

sources:

กระทรวงสาธารณสุข ประกาศอัตราค่าบริการ บัญชี1สำหรับชาวไทย บัญชี2สำหรับต่างชาติ 
มีค่าบริการเภสัชกรรม ค่าจ่ายยาผู้ป่วยนอก/ผู้ป่วยใน/TPN/Cytotoxic
https://www.matichon.co.th/news-monitor/news_1649256

ประกาศกระทรวงสาธารณสุข เรื่อง อัตราค่าบริการสาธารณสุขของหน่วยบริการในสังกัดกระทรวงสาธารณสุข พ.ศ. 2562 (244หน้า2.7MB) 
http://www.ratchakitcha.soc.go.th/DATA/PDF/2562/E/218/T_0004.PDF

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

When I went to school, double was not 400%.

Still a lot cheaper than rip off private hospitals.

The prices increases up to almost 400% from TODAYS prices. There is general price increases from 30 september too so from the new general prices the price foreigners have to pay is doubled. Todays prices are marked with green background in the picture. The percent increase calulated from today prices is printed with red letters. Got it now?

17 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

When I went to school, double was not 400%.

Still a lot cheaper than rip off private hospitals.

Actually now the root canal treatment will be cheaper to do in Norway than in Thailand government hospitals and the prices in private dental clinics in thailand for the root canal treatment are currently lower than the new prices that will go into effect 30.9.2019.

9 minutes ago, Trollmann said:

and the prices in private dental clinics in thailand for the root canal treatment are currently lower than the new prices

Don't worry, they will swiftly apply the same % increases to their current prices.

Goodbye to yet one more reason to visit Thailand.

1 minute ago, donnacha said:

Don't worry, they will swiftly apply the same % increases to their current prices.

Goodbye to yet one more reason to visit Thailand.

If you're just a visitor, then get dental work done at home where it's cheaper. No need to come to Thailand to see a dentist.

22 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

If you're just a visitor, then get dental work done at home where it's cheaper. No need to come to Thailand to see a dentist.

You somehow managed to misunderstand a very simple sentence.

Some people, when planning their vacation, welcome the opportunity to get dental work done for cheaper than they would pay at home. If a particular destination offers that, it counts as an additional reason to choose that destination, as opposed to some other destination that does not. Often, the savings help them to justify getting a more expensive air ticket to Thailand rather than, say, Spain.

If Thailand are massively increasing those prices, it eliminates that particular advantage. Precisely as I said: "Goodbye to yet one more reason to visit Thailand".

At no point did I say that getting dental work done was the sole reason why a particular individual would visit Thailand but it would, of course, be a factor in their decision.

I hope this expanded explanation assisted you in grasping the simple concepts conveyed in that sentence. I wish you the best of luck in your reading journey.

1 hour ago, Trollmann said:

All on O visa and Tourists now have to pay double prices (adding to the general price increases in effect 30.9)

So, if I understand this correctly, they are really smacking into retirees, those married to Thais, and those with children here, while giving a slight discount to those here on education and work visas.

I can't help feeling that the first group, all of whom are likely to live in Thailand for a longer time, or who are financially supporting Thai citizens, should be getting treated more like Thais, not less.

2 hours ago, Trollmann said:

Actually now the root canal treatment will be cheaper to do in Norway than in Thailand government hospitals and the prices in private dental clinics in thailand for the root canal treatment are currently lower than the new prices that will go into effect 30.9.2019.

Does that include the flight, hotel and food costs?

2 hours ago, donnacha said:

You somehow managed to misunderstand a very simple sentence.

Some people, when planning their vacation, welcome the opportunity to get dental work done for cheaper than they would pay at home. If a particular destination offers that, it counts as an additional reason to choose that destination, as opposed to some other destination that does not. Often, the savings help them to justify getting a more expensive air ticket to Thailand rather than, say, Spain.

If Thailand are massively increasing those prices, it eliminates that particular advantage. Precisely as I said: "Goodbye to yet one more reason to visit Thailand".

At no point did I say that getting dental work done was the sole reason why a particular individual would visit Thailand but it would, of course, be a factor in their decision.

I hope this expanded explanation assisted you in grasping the simple concepts conveyed in that sentence. I wish you the best of luck in your reading journey.

the dental work in gov hospitals are so bad that your cheap Chinese resin filling fall out before you reach home. 

Looking at the pdf, the rates listed for foreigners is much less than has actually been charged in govt hospitals to date, at least for all the operations etc that I checked. In fact less than was being charged a decade ago i nthe case of heart surgery.

So I don't really know what to make of this list....but the rates shown are nto high compared to actual, in fact much the opposite.

I

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Looking at the pdf, the rates listed for foreigners is much less than has actually been charged in govt hospitals to date, at least for all the operations etc that I checked. In fact less than was being charged a decade ago i nthe case of heart surgery.

So I don't really know what to make of this list....but the rates shown are nto high compared to actual, in fact much the opposite.

making a comment like this without any detailed examples makes it difficult for other People to verify that you actually have done Your homework correct. Please give further details of exaclywhat has decreased in price with old and New price. Did you compare with the prices from the green book published by the MOPH in 2017? 

8 hours ago, Trollmann said:

making a comment like this without any detailed examples makes it difficult for other People to verify that you actually have done Your homework correct. Please give further details of exaclywhat has decreased in price with old and New price. Did you compare with the prices from the green book published by the MOPH in 2017? 

I am not comparing to any books but to what people, in my experience, actually pay.

I have been assisting people in using govt hospitals for 2 decades now.

For example -- to cite just two :

mitral valve replacement in govt hospital 15 years ago was a little over 100,000 baht. The attachment pegs it at only 56,250.

appendectomy in government hospital last year 20,000; the attachment lists only 10,000.

cataract surgery in govt hospital, less than a year ago, 18,000 (not included pre and post op care); the attachment lists 8,500

same true of over a dozen procedures/operations I checked

Either actual charges have never followed official lists, or these lists are giving prices that are not all inclusive but rather a surgical fee with separate charges for medications, tests, doctor visits, surgeon fees, room etc etc in which case it tells you very  little about total cost of anything. Or a mixture of the two. I suspect the latter.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Either actual charges have never followed official lists, or these lists are giving prices that are not all inclusive but rather a surgical fee with separate charges for medications, tests, doctor visits, surgeon fees, room etc etc in which case it tells you very  little about total cost of anything.

I believe that is the case as also found costs to be well below what I was quoted (for operation they never performed).  Doctor fees are normally very low in government facilities. 

6 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I am not comparing to any books but to what people, in my experience, actually pay.

I have been assisting people in using govt hospitals for 2 decades now.

For example -- to cite just two :

mitral valve replacement in govt hospital 15 years ago was a little over 100,000 baht. The attachment pegs it at only 56,250.

appendectomy in government hospital last year 20,000; the attachment lists only 10,000.

cataract surgery in govt hospital, less than a year ago, 18,000 (not included pre and post op care); the attachment lists 8,500

same true of over a dozen procedures/operations I checked

Either actual charges have never followed official lists, or these lists are giving prices that are not all inclusive but rather a surgical fee with separate charges for medications, tests, doctor visits, surgeon fees, room etc etc in which case it tells you very  little about total cost of anything. Or a mixture of the two. I suspect the latter.

I did the comparision for you and it shows that for catract the prices will not increase in this year pricelist, but foreginers now have to pay double price. In the previous pricelist there was only one price for all people. Well, somtimes hospitals charged higher prices from foreigners and that is another story and those who was victim for that and complained was offered a refund from the hospital.

Price comparision Cataract.png

No, the prices I referred to were same Thai and foreign and occured in hospitals that seldom see a foreign patient and do not have dual pricing.

I can also vetify that Thais paying out of picket routinely pay more than what is shown in this attachment.

It would appear that prices in MOPH lists do not match actual hospital prices.

I never even know such a list or book existed.

In my experience hospitals have their own price lists. And since they are already higher than the official sanctioned increase it may not have any effect other than to slightly narrow the gap between MOPH listed cost and actual cost.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

41 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

No, the prices I referred to were same Thai and foreign and occured in hospitals that seldom see a foreign patient and do not have dual pricing.

I can also vetify that Thais paying out of picket routinely pay more than what is shown in this attachment.

It would appear that prices in MOPH lists do not match actual hospital prices.

I never even know such a list or book existed.

In my experience hospitals have their own price lists. And since they are already higher than the official sanctioned increase it may not have any effect other than to slightly narrow the gap between MOPH listed cost and actual cost.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The prices from the MOPH are mentioned as the CEILING PRICE in the price list document.

Here you can download the may 2017 green book from MOPH in one complete file 84 MB. It can aslo be downloaded several places on the internet but other places the book is split into 3 parts probably because of the download size

MOPH Green book searchable in English .pdf

On 9/1/2019 at 5:35 AM, ratcatcher said:

Probably the most ludicrous post I have ever seen on Thaivisa in 14 years.

My veneers would in the uk have cost £5600 (at the time)

My Veneers in Thailand cost £1180 (at the time)

They are as immaculate 6 years on from the day they were done

What the hell?! Why are they making differences for Thais and non-Thais with different types of visa. That's another step backwards. I am Thai, but this is a real shame! So my wife would need to pay more than me and more than someone with a ED/B visa?

That's <deleted> really, let the stupid foreigner pay....

Archived