BANGKOK
robsamui

What they don't tell you about clearing off to Vietnam

Regarding to obtain a multiple tourist visa for 3 months,

does this require to get out of the country every month? or just some process by the immigration? 

and where the best option to go for extension from there? cambodia? or laos? another issue not much empty pages left in the passport, if there is a local stamp by the immigration will be a better option, or just stay 1 time long for 3 months,

regards, 

To those of you who are thinking of relocating to Vietnam try Vung Tau.

I worked on rotation for a few years. It has been developed for offshore workers, a little more expensive but seems more secure.

I didn't have any issues. 

• Like 1

On 9/1/2019 at 5:19 PM, Yinn said:

I go to Hanoi, in the north. War museum. 

They remember.

They also don’t like the French people. Very cruel.

They not have good experience with farang.

Brilliant, less French, bonus! 🙂

• Like 2

i found the price of cooking utensils significantly less than in thailand and they have virtually the same stuff.  lottemart , big c and mega

On 9/6/2019 at 9:02 PM, IraqRon said:

yeez where is all the trash and traffic and etc. etc. the Viet bashers talked about?  I see a clean street, trees, and no stray dogs or trash, not to mention street walkers hanging out.

Well,

You aren't going to see stray dogs in Vietnam, are you?..................🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Thanks for all of the good info. Of course, everyone has an opinion and they are entitled to it. I am heading to Vietnam in December after many years in Thailand. My last time in Vietnam, people were seriously trying to kill me.

I will be better informed after spending some time there but my initial thoughts are that Vietnam in ascending while my beloved Thailand is descending. It is too bad too. But, if I don't like it, I can always come back here. On the international front,  Thailand wants to build a high speed invasion train from China while Vietnam is allied with the US against China. Most people don't appreciate that Vietnam and China were fighting for 1000 years before the first white man arrived. They were allied against a common enemy during the Vietnam was ( the USA) but now US Navy ships are making ports calls in Vietnam to bolster their defenses against the aggressive Chinese. 

My Vietnam adventure awaits on 14 December I my posting will be better informed afterward.

1 hour ago, robsamui said:

You have to go in person to Hanoi or HCMC only (?), and to extend a 3 month visa for another 3 months

My friends in Vietnam tell me they uses agents.  No need to appear in person for visa extensions. 

I posted this link recently that says you can do it yourself, or go through a local agency.

https://www.myvietnamvisa.com/vietnam-visa-extension.html

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1

I have a question. I have been in Thailand for many years and have a few (very few) farang freimds who have successful long term relationships with Thai ladies. Generally, love in Thailand is bought and paid for. How hard is it to find a meaningful relationship in Vierman?

On 9/1/2019 at 5:19 PM, Yinn said:

I go to Hanoi, in the north. War museum. 

They remember.

They also don’t like the French people. Very cruel.

They not have good experience with farang.

I went to Hanoi and had an opposite experience as you. I like Saigon better but as an older American found no one in north or south Vietnam that was rude or hostile to me. I went to the war museum also and all I heard was how nice they were to the USA “prisoners of war” which I just smiled and let them talk. Vietnam today is nothing like Vietnam of 1970s and most Vietnamese never mentioned the war.  I am sure there are a few in every country that hold grudges as my grandfather did against the Japanese. But most people on the planet now in Asia were not involved in the Asia wars. 

Having been there a few times for business I have no intention of living there, but enjoyed reading the information. Thank you.

The grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence I see

• Like 1

1 minute ago, natway09 said:

Having been there a few times for business I have no intention of living there, but enjoyed reading the information. Thank you.

The grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence I see

Don't you mean, the grass is not greener on the other side of the fence for you?  It very well may be greener for others.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2019 at 6:38 PM, gunderhill said:

Very informative thanks.

+1

On 9/2/2019 at 10:48 AM, CHiangMaiMuu said:

I served in the war in Vietnam, in 1969-1970, and I lived there for about 4 months altogether this year.

And I have to say YOU ARE A GODDAMN LIAR.

First place, people in Vietnam never did believe that trash that the communists said about the Americans in Vietnam; the common people had to go through the years of hell when the Viet Cong came in the night to their villages and took their rice and raped their daughters and took their sons to train to be savage killers. In some parts of the country, in Quang Nam province, many of the local people were refugees from North Vietnam who had left their homes to get away from the communists. They looked to "us" - Marines in the C.U.P.P.  units along side the South Vietnamese Regional Forces - to protect them from the guerillas. I used to go through the village with the Navy Corpsman (like a nurse) to translate for him, since I had gone to the 3-month Vietnamese language course in the States. The Corpsman treated the villagers illnesses as best he could. The Vietcong raped them and beat their children.

Second place,  even if you don't believe that, you are 100% wrong in what you say about the Vietnamese people's attitude to farangs. The people that I asked in the spring of this year in Vietnam said that the communists lied about the Americans. My young Vietnamese friend in Quy Nhon, whom I hired as a language teacher and guide, told me her mother told her the Americans were good to her. She worked on an Army base back then and, even after the brain-washing they did on her she still says - quietly - that the communists lied. My friend's older brother down in Saigon also said the same thing about the Viet Cong. He is making it as businessman, in spite of the oppression by the communists some people are making it because they are naturally entrepreneurs, resourceful and courageous. And they have to remain quiet or they die. And they want American advisors and tourists and investor.

People like you - you remind of the American Air Force veteran - who sat out the war in England and also thinks the Americans "lost" in Vietnam - you think that by not being there and by listening to propaganda 

put out by cowards who sent young people out to murder other people you are experts on the issue. Even the facts that they took out 60,000 of our boys and we killed over a million of them does not impinge on your mind.

The people in South Vietnam do not hate us. The people who work for the government is Vietnam have a more positive attitude to us that the Thai government. Clearly that is shown by the fact that the government makes it easier for farangs to move to Vietnam and move around in Vietnam without nonsensical restrictions. 

And they are able to write the English language better than you.

Only one comment, what are the nonsensical restrictions on traveling around Thailand?

I have ever found or experienced any and we have and continue to travel around Thailand by road an air.

• Confused 1