What they don't tell you about clearing off to Vietnam

robsamui

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/1/2019 at 4:05 AM, robsamui said:

Actually - it's not! The info above relates to the pitfalls of people coming to live here, and if that isn't you, then you'll find it boring.

I'm in Nha Trang, which has a climate the same as Koh Samui. The central part of the city is crammed full of different nationalities, with little Viet cafes side-by-side with nightclubs and Aussie pubs and market stalls, the streets are tree-lined and hung with fairy lights, a Grab motorbike costs 50 baht to go 6 Km across town, there are events and displays happening frequently . . . the only thing I miss are bars on the beach. Apart from that it's fun - and it's permanently affordable!

My wife has a long-lost sister who she finally found after about 40 years apart.  She lives in Nha Trang.  Her sister has visited Thailand a couple times and my wife visited Vietnam once.  The sister learned enough Thai to converse a bit.  She and I had an online video chat once.  A farang from USA and a Vietnamese conversing in Thai. Awkward... because she spoke better than me.

I look forward to visiting there, hopefully sooner rather than later.  It'll be like opening a second branch office in my quest for global domination.  Yinn mentioned Ethiopia, and I was going to try that before Thailand 40+ years ago when I joined the Peace Corps.  But they had a war on at the time, so I ended up in Loei province.  Very cheap, but boring. 

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Why do you call yourself 'farang', do you call your sister-in-law 'charlie'?

I am a farang.  I call my sis-in-in-law by her name, Bak Bi.  However, I do refer to my wife as Dragon Lady or Blackhead on occasion.  Or E Gaa.  I live dangerously. 

On 9/1/2019 at 5:19 PM, Yinn said:

I go to Hanoi, in the north. War museum. 

They remember.

They also don’t like the French people. Very cruel.

They not have good experience with farang.

They not have a good experience with many asian countries too, including Thailand (they certainly are not too keen on Thailand). Have a look at all the wars vietnam has been involved in  since 1945

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_involving_Vietnam

Having worked for several years recently in southern vietnam not once did i feel any aggression towards my white skin from a local, and talking with younger vietnamese colleagues none of them seemed too interested in the subject. I was aware that some of my older work colleagues would have been affected by tge American War as they call it.

On 9/1/2019 at 4:12 PM, Yinn said:

So now your life have many problems. But is cheaper. 

Maybe you can find the cheaper worse country and be more happy. Ethiopia is very cheap.

Good luck Rob.

The other thred talk about all the farang in Thailand will leave to go live in Vietnam. 

How many really go?

i think they not like the farang? Because you killed there grandfather, rape the grandmother and bomb there house. Burn the village.

i go there before. Is interesting. 

But....

the people spit INSIDE the restaurant, bar, etc. Yuk.

And not smile. Not “ow jai”

Please. You are displaying bad taste to the OP and embarrassing yourself and your country.

You gripe about farang coming to Thailand and you gripe about them leaving.

Get a hobby dude.

Archived