IKEA Kitchens - any experience?

mapleleafrag

Building a house up in Chiang Mai, need a kitchen. Been to a few local places, Boonthavan(?), Global, HomePro, Sukkaphan etc. not much choice, Boonthavon have some nice stuff but quite pricey, 4/500,000k 

Was wondering whether anyone has experience buying an IKEA kitchen? They look alright, need to install yourself or pay for installation it seems, but from what I've read online the quality is surprisingly good.

Would have to go down to BKK and check them out, get delivery and whatnot, but just wondering if anyone has experience with them at all here?

Cheers.

I think IKEA is kind of cheap stuff.

Although not huge, we recently put in a new kitchen in CM.

We went to Homikitch. They have plenty of examples at their facility.

They did everything.  Took out the old kitchen, hauled everything away, worked with us to make a plan for the new kitchen design. You can pick the counter tops, cabinets, etc. Came when promised completed everything in about 2 days.  Cost was less then 100 k all new appliances, etc.  Good English speakers.

Check the website for location.

Is there an Index mall in CM? I bought an L-shaped, modular kitchen unit from Index in Udon about 14 years ago and 90% of it is still good. I think it was all about 60,000 baht installed and included wall units. The double-wide sink unit badly needs replacing but that's more due to a bad plumbing job underneath and sloppy buggers dumping water all over the place when doing the dishes. Particle board shouldn't be used where there's going to be water or plumbing IMHO. I'll be building a replacement unit using marine plywood but can use the original doors and drawers as they aren't damaged.

I have IKEA kitchen and it's neat, after 2 years at least still looks like new. Their installation and delivery crews are paid extra in percentage of cost, but affordable and they did a very good job.

Their Electrolux handyman to install hood was terrible so I'd never buy any more electrical appliances that require installation from them. Kitchen installed is Metod and was custom designed at their shop after providing the dimensions... though I already knew up-front what I wanted so it was a very quick affair (other than some stuff out of stock and unable to order).

SB Design has some (not all) neat stuff but it's quite pricey. Although delivery and installation is included. Same for Chic Republic. Didn't try others, although a friend bought Index... for the first and last time. Didn't even last a year before whole thing started falling apart.

Did one. It only makes sense if you install it yourself financially in my opinion. Going back down to Bangkok for that missing part would likely turn me off the solution for you though. 

The big big benefit of IKEA over many other brands is that the organization components are better/smarter/flexible.  Everything is just thought through as a system. 

4 hours ago, tjo o tjim said:

Did one. It only makes sense if you install it yourself financially in my opinion. Going back down to Bangkok for that missing part would likely turn me off the solution for you though. 

The big big benefit of IKEA over many other brands is that the organization components are better/smarter/flexible.  Everything is just thought through as a system. 

You do realise that Ikea can deliver don't you?

Cheers guys, had a look in Homikitch, had a few in there but not much tbh. The one or two they did have that were nice were pricey like Boonthavan, 400,000k+

Madness the price of the wooden islands and stuff, like 150k for two or three lengths making a simple |_| table, just wood. Granted it's imported oak or whatever fancy stuff, but still.. painful for the wallet. Couldn't help thinking I could get some local guy to whack the same together for half the price.

On 9/1/2019 at 2:34 PM, mapleleafrag said:

Thanks guys I'll check Homikitch out tomorrow, missed that one. 

Re: IKEA, would they do installation in CM also or only BKK area?

I think that s only available for BKK, but of course that would always be a question of how much you are willing to pay. However, they will use a Thai company for the installation, som you will be same good and cheaper by contracting a local carpenter or likewise. ???? 

we have had a new ikea kitchen installed, more than 4 years ago, we do live in the very north. the quality of the kitchen is in my opinion very good. btw with local carpenters we had only problems! 

a specially trained ikea team (the team leader was trained in sweden) installed the kitchen in 2 full working days. the delivery and installation of the kitchens has doubled the kitchen price! but it was so worthwhile for us, at this time we had enough others things to organizing ...

Archived