Is Combination of Income Method Still OK At Chiang Mai Immigration (600,000 Baht Monthly and 200,000 Baht Savings)?

CM Rick

Is The Combination of Income Method Still OK At Chiang Mai Immigration for a Retirement Visa, O-A Non-Immigrant 1 Year Extension (600,000 Baht Monthly and 200,000 Baht Savings) Without a U.S. Consulate Affidavit?  Thanks in advance.

I think that this has been discussed ad-nauseam in other threads.

Short answer is not possible without Consulate letter.

It's so easy to transfer or recycle money from friends nowadays with today's technology.....They want further proof. 

I take it this means the COMBO method is no longer doable at CM, but not the 65K per month income method?

I plan to use the latter at Kap Choeng (Surin) in mid-October for retirement extension. If I can't do that, I'm f/d. Can do the 800K in the bank for next year but too late for this year.

8 hours ago, EricTh said:

I think that this has been discussed ad-nauseam in other threads.

Short answer is not possible without Consulate letter.

It's so easy to transfer or recycle money from friends nowadays with today's technology.....They want further proof. 

1. How can the combination method be obsolete when it is still in relevant Thai Immigration regulations?  2. Recycling money would also apply to the 65,000 baht/month as well.  There is no salient distinction.

7 minutes ago, pookiki said:

1. How can the combination method be obsolete when it is still in relevant Thai Immigration regulations?  2. Recycling money would also apply to the 65,000 baht/month as well.  There is no salient distinction.

Apparently local offices have the power to set their own rules. BTW - on faking income by recycling money they have every right to demand evidence of the income being claimed in the income transfers. So good luck to one and all!

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Apparently local offices have the power to set their own rules. BTW - on faking income by recycling money they have every right to demand evidence of the income being claimed in the income transfers. So good luck to one and all!

For all those who are being subject to the whims of their local immigration office,  I would seriously suggest that they retain a good Thai lawyer when doing their extension of stay.  I would agree that IOs have the right to see the source of income being transferred from abroad into Thailand. However, they do not have an unfettered right to make there own rules that are in direct conflict with existing regulations. A good lawyer and/or a good court case would go a long way in resolving these issues where immigration offices ignore there own regulations.

2 minutes ago, pookiki said:

For all those who are being subject to the whims of their local immigration office,  I would seriously suggest that they retain a good Thai lawyer when doing their extension of stay.  I would agree that IOs have the right to see the source of income being transferred from abroad into Thailand. However, they do not have an unfettered right to make there own rules that are in direct conflict with existing regulations. A good lawyer and/or a good court case would go a long way in resolving these issues where immigration offices ignore there own regulations.

They really enjoy having their authority questioned.

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

They really enjoy having their authority questioned.

There's a right and wrong way to question authority. It can be done in a respectful way with a lawyer who is knowledgeable of the law. Of course, the other alternative is to hire an agent and know with reasonable certaintly ythat you are paying off the IO to get your extension.  We all make choices.  If you get an agent, the law becomes as meaningless as the IO making his/her decision based on the mood they're in that particular day.  Just spend the money - one way or the other.

4 hours ago, fhickson said:

makes sense that a letter would be required for the combo method, and not the income method

If a person has a 'letter' and I assume we are talking about a letter from the person's embassy, then isn't the letter supposed to verify that an individual's income is no less than 800,000 baht/year?  The 'letter' is used as a method in and of itself.  As for people using lawyers for their extension, I know people who do it all the time - simply because they have enough money to do it.

If a person has a 'letter' and I assume we are talking about a letter from the person's embassy, then isn't the letter supposed to verify that an individual's income is no less than 800,000 baht/year?  The 'letter' is used as a method in and of itself.  As for people using lawyers for their extension, I know people who do it all the time - simply because they have enough money to do it.

No. The embassy letter can be for under 800k. Then you would do a combination method application assuming your local office accepts them.

There is now a distinction between combination applications with or without the letter. Without are more complicated applications.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

No. The embassy letter can be for under 800k. Then you would do a combination method application assuming your local office accepts them.

There is now a distinction between combination applications with or without the letter. Without are more complicated applications.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I think it is obvious that the applicants most impacted by events that transpired last year are those whose embassies stopped issuing the letters in their entirety - the US, UK, and Australia.  You would be doing a great service to these individuals if you could detail the application process for them and if there are any immigration regulations that detail the process - other than the 'broad' language in the existing immigration regulations.  Thanks for you input.

Chaingmai will not do combo nowadays.

Chiangmai will do "monthly income" with leniency,as little a 5 months maybe less, but not when they don't understand bank coding for income from abroad despite being twice advised by one of Thailand's leading banks. Long story,complete balls up, fully expected it so had another method available to secure extension of stay. IO's could not have been more pleasant, simply don't know what other overseas designations mean unless it is FTT.

Got the impression definite leaning to the 800K in the bank,it's easy for them to understand, which will be a major bonus for the agents in the future.

Archived