Question - Buddha Statue

tv101

Hi - 

I wasn't sure where to post this and thought I'd try in this forum.

Next month I will be returning to the US and my gf will be traveling with me.  She will stay in the US for a few months and is planning to bring the Buddha statue that she uses in prayers with her.

I have read in several places that it is not permitted for these to leave the country, but don't know if that applies in a situation like this.

It would be a very unhappy time if this was a problem discovered at the last minute in the airport and I wanted to ask if anyone has any experience with doing this.  Where would we get the "official" answer?

Thanks.

In general it is illegal to remove Buddhist statues from Thailand, unless you have a permit which you can get from the Department of Fine Arts. I had several when I moved back to the states in June, I was afraid to bring even smaller mass marketed ones. I asked Thai friends to adopt them, and one very old bronze that had been a gift I returned (I'm not sure I could have even obtained a permit for it). That said I know many are brought out of Thailand so I am uncertain how enforced it is.

Archived