Back to back tourist visas -- any issues yet?

Sheryl

I am needing to spend a fair amount of time in Cambodia till the end of the year. I was already here for a total of 2 1/2 months (1 TR with 1 mo extension then a second TR with a gap of just 3-4 days out of country) then have been out of the country about 8 weeksam  now back for a week, then will be out of about a month and then need to go back for most of Oct - December. I can manage this all on TRs by having short trips out and maybe 1 TR extension but just want to be sure I will not run into problems for coming in so often/staying so long on TRs.

Des anyone have any reports of that occurring? I haven't heard any but one imagines it is bound to start happening sooner or later

I can if necessary get a retirement visa. I would rather not do that as it uses up a full page of my passport and my country does not issue new pages, whereas for TRs I can get evisa which greatly helps conserve pages. But I also do not want to risk having a problem on entry.

To be clear here is what my proposed pattern of entry and stay in 2019 would end up looking if I go the TR route:

Jan - late April not in country

April -June TR with 1 extension, total 55 days in country

out of country 4 days

June - July  TR stayed 19 days

out of country almost 2 months

September TR stay 6 days

out of country 4 weeks

October TR stay 12 days

out of country 2 days

October - November TR stay 21 days

out of country7 days

Nov - December TR stay 42 days - either 1 extension or else exit for 2 days and reenter

So the total would be 155 days here in a 7 1/2 month period with 6 or 7 TRs, some spaced just a few days apart and others spaced a bit further.

Thoughts/experiences?

I haven't heard of any problems back to back. I know someone who has been going from Kep to Ha tien every month. Comes straight back from Ha tien border the same day.

Probably could have a problem on a Thai border.

Flying in should be the easiest. Those airport IOs don't even seem to look at anything

Evisa involves no more stamps than do entries on an extension. But the latter in addition uses up a full page of the passport.

Nothing illegal about back to back tourist visas in Thailand either yet people  get denied entry. That wa my concern but sounds like hasn't started happening in Cambiodia yet. Thanks.

At the rate I travel it would be more like every 3 - 4 years or even less if I were using up whole pages for visas. Not unudual for me to make 19 tripsin a year to Camb alone.

I am quite happy to pay the extra $7 rather than have the hassle and expense of a new passport (especially the hassle). Passport pages aside I am quite happy to pay the extra $7 to save on time at border crossing and airports. To each his own.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Cambodia doesn't yet care about tourist visa holders coming and going at infinitum, though the majority of foreigners who stay long-term without a job go for the EG 6 month extension or if they are above 55, the ER retirement route for a one year extension of stay.

19 hours ago, Sheryl said:

At the rate I travel it would be more like every 3 - 4 years or even less if I were using up whole pages for visas. Not unudual for me to make 19 tripsin a year to Camb alone.

I am quite happy to pay the extra $7 rather than have the hassle and expense of a new passport (especially the hassle). Passport pages aside I am quite happy to pay the extra $7 to save on time at border crossing and airports. To each his own.

so, let me get this straight, your ok paying an EXTRA  $133/YEAR( 19 stamps ) for a visa in advance

and paying $703 for said visas ( @$37/)  VS paying $300 for a 1 year extension that takes (oh, my god) a full page in your passport?

As to saving time,  my voa take never more than an additional 10 minutes and still am always out of the building before the bags arrive.

MY last passport ( $110 + 100 baht ems fee) i did at the outreach, took all of 10 minutes an it was sent to my house 2 weeks later. 

Yea, thats a real hassle

Indeed, to each their own

That 19 was a type meant to say 20. 10 * 37 = 370 or $70 more than retirement visa. And yes, I am OK with that. Especially since

Visa cost is a tax reimbursable business expense for me.

VOA takes a lot more than 10 minutes at Poipet which is the land border I live near...and entail some hassle as it is an unudually corrupt checkpoint.

Time is money for me.

Passport renewals create all manner of hassle because many things are linked to my passport number...from bank accounts to my one card. And unlike visa cost, cost of replacing passport is not reimbursable for me.

Peoples situations vary.

Getting into Thailand so often from Poipet will be an on going problem. Good chance of refusal. I use the crossings south of there. Never had a problem. I always write only staying for 5 days.

No one has ever said anything. Been to Thailand 9 times in last 22 months.

Archived