What’s it really like living as an Expat in Vietnam? (Interview)

Jonathan Fairfield

6 hours ago, madmen said:

Vietnam is getting Thailands rejects, people who failed at life and now at the mercy of currency exchange on meagre pensions and nothing else. How does a person spend a 40 year working life and were not able to save 800k ?

Lucky vietnam !!

in many cases 800k savings went to thai scum partner 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, madmen said:

Vietnam is getting Thailands rejects, people who failed at life and now at the mercy of currency exchange on meagre pensions and nothing else. How does a person spend a 40 year working life and were not able to save 800k ?

Lucky vietnam !!

Don’t judge people when you know nothing about them or what might have happened in their lives. Just be grateful that you’re better off and don’t look down on anyone. Misfortune can happen to anyone.

This post, like a similar thread a couple of days ago, about moving to Vietnam from Thailand is either a troll or so inaccurate/highly selective/subjective to give me the feeling that I am in a different Vietnam when I made the move from Thailand 2 years ago.

What has the availability of lemon(most certainly limes are sold everywhere here) to do with such a move. 

In the south of Vietnam, a tiny minority of Vietnamese, will eat dogs, many more keep them as pets and would never hurt a dog, let alone cats. 

These posters talk about non-issue like lemons and canines, while forgetting to mention some of the real annoyances, chief among them that constant honking, even on a completely empty road the average motorcyclists has to sound their horn every few seconds. Even in a smaller town hardly an hour goes by without hearing an ambulance siren probably rushing to an accident site. So traffic wise, there is not much to choose between the 2 countries. 

2 hours ago, 3421abc said:

Vietnamese people dont eat dogs, cats or everything that moves plain BS. There was a problem when I lived there 3 yrs ago of thugs kidnapping dogs maybe in the rural areas people eat dogs, never seen in the big cities like Hanoi or HCMC.

I was in Hanoi last year following maps to my destination. It led me through some small streets where I saw whole skinned dogs being barbecued all the way down this particular street. I felt physically sick and kept my head down until I was out of that area. The dog trade is real and huge in Vietnam.

21 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I spent some time there last year and to me the negatives far out weigh anything for me.

I do not need to work ever again so the English teaching job deal is mute point.

Many golf courses, many available girls, modern infrastructure, modern living standards, and most importantly the medical and hospital care are tops for me.

Vietnam has none of this from my observation.  The dude interviewed is living in a hotel?.

A third world downgrade in life and lifestyle.

I thought the place was interesting, but to live there? No way.  I respect myself and my quality of life long term way beyond Vietnam.

But, good luck to those who chose this way of life.  Mostly because it is cheaper....

I agree.

One thing that most expats don't mention is that should they move to Vietnam, they probably won't be buying a car. Cars are even more expensive to buy in Vietnam than in Thailand and there's limited parking and many side roads are too narrow for cars to drive down. The Vietnamese government is decidedly "anti-car".

Unless very rich or for showing appearances, few Vietnamese own a car. It's like stepping back into 1920s America when owning a car was a "privilege".

Personally that's a big deal for me, maybe not for others, but certainly for me. Not having a car would be a definitive downgrade in my lifestyle. Similarly, so too would be the crammed living conditions most Vietnamese are used to.

It's OK as a tourist (you can choose to stay in some luxury accommodation if you can afford it) but it's rare to find a large house with big backyard. The most luxurious homes in Vietnam that aren't owned by party members or big company bosses are still very modest by our western standards. They might have 3-4 bedrooms but practically no garden to speak of.

2 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

This post, like a similar thread a couple of days ago, about moving to Vietnam from Thailand is either a troll or so inaccurate/highly selective/subjective to give me the feeling that I am in a different Vietnam when I made the move from Thailand 2 years ago.

What has the availability of lemon(most certainly limes are sold everywhere here) to do with such a move. 

In the south of Vietnam, a tiny minority of Vietnamese, will eat dogs, many more keep them as pets and would never hurt a dog, let alone cats. 

These posters talk about non-issue like lemons and canines, while forgetting to mention some of the real annoyances, chief among them that constant honking, even on a completely empty road the average motorcyclists has to sound their horn every few seconds. Even in a smaller town hardly an hour goes by without hearing an ambulance siren probably rushing to an accident site. So traffic wise, there is not much to choose between the 2 countries. 

I wouldn't call it highly selective.

Although things are improving, Vietnam still doesn't have the choices that Thailand has. There are fewer supermarkets and the selection is poorer.

Housing is crammed - you won't be living in a house except if it's a skinny building with 3 floors in a row next to other skinny houses but with no garden.

Cars are incredibly expensive and almost no expat owns one, except the richest businessmen and company CEOs and even they won't be driving themselves but instead be driven by chauffeurs.

Crowded streets are an even bigger problem than in Thailand as you have pointed out. Honking is another big issue, again, as you have mentioned.

28 minutes ago, drbeach said:

Although things are improving, Vietnam still doesn't have the choices that Thailand has. There are fewer supermarkets and the selection is poorer.

Housing is crammed - you won't be living in a house except if it's a skinny building with 3 floors in a row next to other skinny houses but with no garden.

Cars are incredibly expensive and almost no expat owns one, except the richest businessmen and company CEOs and even they won't be driving themselves but instead be driven by chauffeurs.

Crowded streets are an even bigger problem than in Thailand as you have pointed out. Honking is another big issue, again, as you have mentioned.

I can't argue with your reply :If you require a car and a mansion, you are probably better off in LOS. Public transport is also much better (not cheaper though) in Thailand. Buses in Vietnam don't have toilets :I always keep an empty plastic bottle which ,with my weak bladder ,I often make use of 555)

And, yes, the supermarkets, although improving, do not offer the selection of goods you find in LOS:Just got back from vacation in Los, where I was able to enjoy whole-grained, real bread:the refined white baguettes the Vietnamese eat day in day out gets old and has little nutritional value. 

Don’t judge people when you know nothing about them or what might have happened in their lives. Just be grateful that you’re better off and don’t look down on anyone. Misfortune can happen to anyone.
Most just fail. I knew many like that back in oz.. Fat dumb and happy burning cash on poker machines, down at the pub all night every night etc

Of course there are those that got scammed but you pick yourself up and get on with it. Most wealthy people failed at some point

From the OP topic

"My rent is in a modern hotel that includes fast Wi-Fi, market shopping service, laundry service, maid service, three hot meals a day and all utilities for $85 a month."

I straight away took that to mean he was talking about the facilities/utilities, excluding the hotel accommodation cost.

Badly worded and he should have given an indication of the hotel cost.

Still just for that it seems too low a figure.

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Sorry to hear that hope you are OK.

So, you got cared for in your home country for practically nothing?

But, you are right. Not being responsible and having proper insurance here could wipe someone out.

I still pay taxes in my home country

From the OP topic

"My rent is in a modern hotel that includes fast Wi-Fi, market shopping service, laundry service, maid service, three hot meals a day and all utilities for $85 a month."

I straight away took that to mean he was talking about the facilities/utilities, excluding the hotel accommodation cost.
Badly worded and he should have given an indication of the hotel cost.
Still just for that it seems too low a figure.
I agree but without the actual rent it's somewhat believable. But those meals must be really grand for that price.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

23 hours ago, IraqRon said:

what a bunch of lying horse <deleted>, who is this troll? I dare the tv folks to ban me for my comment.

I agree the comment about lemon was a dead give away. Thailand import massive quantities of lemons every year from Vietnam. You can buy them in Big C in Vietnam. 

4 hours ago, drbeach said:

Big C and Lotte Mart everywhere when I was there last year. Lotte Mart cooked meals far superior to Thai food, and yummy huge pizza slices for 50 bath, European beers for very cheap and can sit down and drink in food court. Comparatively Thailand very lacking. But you wouldn't know this if you stayed in tourist ghetto. And you don't have to worry about your daughter getting raped and killed. The Vietnamese people have class.   

4 hours ago, madmen said:

Most just fail. I knew many like that back in oz.. Fat dumb and happy burning cash on poker machines, down at the pub all night every night etc

Of course there are those that got scammed but you pick yourself up and get on with it. Most wealthy people failed at some point

Judging by some of  your posts it may very well be you down at the pub every night getting in prime shape for posting lol.

17 hours ago, dotpoom said:

"It  has become a much more challenging environment to live in Thailand as an Expat and as such many retirees have looked to new pastures with Vietnam seemingly the most popular choice"

Not for me.... I am doing exactly the same thing for the past 19 years...800,000Bt. in the bank (untouched) soley for my ext.

PS.....And it's worth a lot more now...to boot.

Funny ... 800,000 baht in an Australian or even American Super Plan would have earnt you 8 + p.a. What have you been earning ... anything ?

1.5 % ??

Theres inflation to factor in as well you know?

How some men love to crow...

Lets focus on Vietnam , the point of the thread  after all.

( We all appreciate you are a genius already ... )

Its my view this post is made up anyway.

The 'lemons' give it away.

Get a room anywhere  in Vietnam and Thailand is cheaper in comparison.

Beer is cheaper , so lets all drink all day to save money ... sigh..

16 hours ago, madmen said:

Lucky vietnam !!

Because they lost it all after living a few years in Lieland

Good post. Thanks. I am sure the reasonable visa policy will attract many. Some of us despise the government and immigration here so deeply, that getting away from them would be worth it, almost on it's own!

However, I have been there several times and prefer the Thai people. They have far lighter hearts, way better humor and I find them infinitely more pleasant. Frankly, I just did not like many of the Vietnamese people. Ran into alot of surly, cold people. And I am a friendly guy! On two trips I was with my Thai wife who has kind of a Pan-Asian look. Many thought she was a local. They do not seem to like seeing Asian gals with foreign men. I do not have much patience for that level of ignorance. 

And trading a hateful, xenophobic, moronic, corrupt and hapless government for a communist government would not be my first choice. Though, it is getting to the point where I might choose anyone over these incompetent goons. 

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Good post. Thanks. I am sure the reasonable visa policy will attract many. Some of us despise the government and immigration here so deeply, that getting away from them would be worth it, almost on it's own!

However, I have been there several times and prefer the Thai people. They have far lighter hearts, way better humor and I find them infinitely more pleasant. Frankly, I just did not like many of the Vietnamese people. Ran into alot of surly, cold people. And I am a friendly guy! On two trips I was with my Thai wife who has kind of a Pan-Asian look. Many thought she was a local. They do not seem to like seeing Asian gals with foreign men. I do not have much patience for that level of ignorance. 

And trading a hateful, xenophobic, moronic, corrupt and hapless government for a communist government would not be my first choice. Though, it is getting to the point where I might choose anyone over these incompetent goons. 

That's exactly what Vietnam does NOT have.

There is no suitable longterm visa for someone who really wants to life there long term, especially as a retiree and one of the reasons vietnam is a nogo for me.

No Retirement Visa, No Investment Visa, No Elite Visa, No Ed Visa (?) - there's nothing. All you can do is getting a fake business visa that they will crack down on sooner or later thai style.

Visa exempt for us, even tho i get 15 days like some other europeans too, is super limited. 

You can use it only by air, and you need to have a gap of 30 days between them.

The 12 month multi entry visas are only available for US people...

Archived