BANGKOK
Jonathan Fairfield

What’s it really like living as an Expat in Vietnam? (Interview)

Just now, racket said:

Mohammad was White btw.

Mohammed never existed. Mohammed is a word that means "The Blessed One" and refers to Jesus

• Sad 2

A post has been removed, please refrain from posting that sort of stuff it is upsetting to many people, thank you

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, IraqRon said:

what a bunch of lying horse <deleted>, who is this troll? I dare the tv folks to ban me for my comment.

I agree the comment about lemon was a dead give away. Thailand import massive quantities of lemons every year from Vietnam. You can buy them in Big C in Vietnam. 

Ive been 3 times to Vietnam. I mean food is good enough for me (i don't care that much ) .. but a decent meal will cost you in Vietnam the same as in Thailand , in some cases more or less.

Western food is more affordable compared to Thailand .

But the interview seems to make things look better as they are.

I just hope its not some pedo English teacher living in Vietnam.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, drbeach said:

I wouldn't call it highly selective.

Although things are improving, Vietnam still doesn't have the choices that Thailand has. There are fewer supermarkets and the selection is poorer.

Housing is crammed - you won't be living in a house except if it's a skinny building with 3 floors in a row next to other skinny houses but with no garden.

Cars are incredibly expensive and almost no expat owns one, except the richest businessmen and company CEOs and even they won't be driving themselves but instead be driven by chauffeurs.

Crowded streets are an even bigger problem than in Thailand as you have pointed out. Honking is another big issue, again, as you have mentioned.

Big C and Lotte Mart everywhere when I was there last year. Lotte Mart cooked meals far superior to Thai food, and yummy huge pizza slices for 50 bath, European beers for very cheap and can sit down and drink in food court. Comparatively Thailand very lacking. But you wouldn't know this if you stayed in tourist ghetto. And you don't have to worry about your daughter getting raped and killed. The Vietnamese people have class.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, madmen said:

Most just fail. I knew many like that back in oz.. Fat dumb and happy burning cash on poker machines, down at the pub all night every night etc

Of course there are those that got scammed but you pick yourself up and get on with it. Most wealthy people failed at some point

Judging by some of  your posts it may very well be you down at the pub every night getting in prime shape for posting lol.

7 hours ago, Jano22 said:

Muslim land. Good luck

Hey let's not forget the Muslims aren't running around drunk all the time and will keep to themselves... unless of course you are simply looking for whores and cheap beer...

Who wrote this ridiculous article?  Who is Dan Cheeseman?  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, losworld said:

Hey let's not forget the Muslims aren't running around drunk all the time and will keep to themselves... unless of course you are simply looking for whores and cheap beer...

This should be moved to the Muslim forum

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Langkawee said:

Cheeseman needs to stick to making cheeses. Worst journalist ever. Talk about fake. 

But the name is very appropriate as his stories have more holes in them than a block of swiss cheese.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, dotpoom said:

"It  has become a much more challenging environment to live in Thailand as an Expat and as such many retirees have looked to new pastures with Vietnam seemingly the most popular choice"

Not for me.... I am doing exactly the same thing for the past 19 years...800,000Bt. in the bank (untouched) soley for my ext.

PS.....And it's worth a lot more now...to boot.

Funny ... 800,000 baht in an Australian or even American Super Plan would have earnt you 8 + p.a. What have you been earning ... anything ?

1.5 % ??

Theres inflation to factor in as well you know?

How some men love to crow...

Lets focus on Vietnam , the point of the thread  after all.

( We all appreciate you are a genius already ... )

Its my view this post is made up anyway.

The 'lemons' give it away.

Get a room anywhere  in Vietnam and Thailand is cheaper in comparison.

Beer is cheaper , so lets all drink all day to save money ... sigh..

Edited by zaZa9
  • Thanks 1

It's a matter of finding what suit an individual's needs. 

Some like Malaysia, Philippines, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam.

each has its pros and cons, nothing is perfect.

its all about being happy, if not simply move on.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, madmen said:

Vietnam is getting Thailands rejects, people who failed at life and now at the mercy of currency exchange on meagre pensions and nothing else. How does a person spend a 40 year working life and were not able to save 800k ?

Lucky vietnam !!

Because they lost it all after living a few years in Lieland

• Haha 1

Good post. Thanks. I am sure the reasonable visa policy will attract many. Some of us despise the government and immigration here so deeply, that getting away from them would be worth it, almost on it's own!

However, I have been there several times and prefer the Thai people. They have far lighter hearts, way better humor and I find them infinitely more pleasant. Frankly, I just did not like many of the Vietnamese people. Ran into alot of surly, cold people. And I am a friendly guy! On two trips I was with my Thai wife who has kind of a Pan-Asian look. Many thought she was a local. They do not seem to like seeing Asian gals with foreign men. I do not have much patience for that level of ignorance. 

And trading a hateful, xenophobic, moronic, corrupt and hapless government for a communist government would not be my first choice. Though, it is getting to the point where I might choose anyone over these incompetent goons. 

• Like 1