Police hunt cabbie who stripped Chinese passenger of Bt3.6m worth valuables

snoop1130

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Benmart said:

I find that when I label someone as dumb, it is a reflection of my own ego. I've done some pretty "dumb" things in my life, one of which is believing I am more intelligent than those who suffer a misadventure.

imo if people don't realize that wearing hundreds of thousands of dollars in jewelry in a predominately poor nation while being drunk out of their minds and passing out in a strangers car won't lead to a robbery - well, they're just beyond dumb. A misadventure is misplacing or losing a package due to some sort of chaotic situation, not lowering your IQ to the level of a dog with alcohol and then passing out allowing someone to pick you clean. This is basic stupidity and it has **** all to do with my ego..

1 hour ago, Percy P said:

It doesn't matter how dumb a person is. To take advantage of this is wrong.

So is walking around drunk with hundreds of thousands of jewelry on, it's so wrong on so many levels it can't be anything but dumb. Try this in any country in the world and see what happens, where do think they get the saying 'a fool and his money...' And as far as the criminal act that was committed, of course it is wrong but just because it is doesn't mean you can or should live your life like in a fairy tale. 

18 hours ago, 2long said:

How do we know that he was so drunk (or asleep) that he and the taxi driver couldn't agree on his destination or some other innocent explanation... and while he slept off the drunkenness on the street a ladyboy or other petty criminal didn't come along and rob him? Or maybe he lost it gambling or during some other illegal activity and wants to blame a taxi driver!

Ok, the alleged story is most likely, but what evidence is there other than the blurred memory of a drunken Chinaman who appears to have more disposable money than common sense.

Agree. 

54 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

imo if people don't realize that wearing hundreds of thousands of dollars in jewelry in a predominately poor nation while being drunk out of their minds and passing out in a strangers car won't lead to a robbery - well, they're just beyond dumb. A misadventure is misplacing or losing a package due to some sort of chaotic situation, not lowering your IQ to the level of a dog with alcohol and then passing out allowing someone to pick you clean. This is basic stupidity and it has **** all to do with my ego..

He may be on a business trip which meant that he got to wear some expensive accessories to impress his business associates. Moreover given Thailand hotels’ reputation, it is also not a good idea to place the watch in the hotel safe. 

1 hour ago, Ctkong said:

He may be on a business trip which meant that he got to wear some expensive accessories to impress his business associates. Moreover given Thailand hotels’ reputation, it is also not a good idea to place the watch in the hotel safe. 

"it is also not a good idea to place the watch in the hotel safe."

But probably safer than on a drunk man.

If you need bling just to impress, why not use fakes? 

Interesting to know if insurance would pay out as he was so negligent.

On 9/2/2019 at 7:47 PM, Number 6 said:

Fire this writer. Seriously. Thats a prathom English error.

But you've got to give credit where credit is due as the verbs agree: "Police is checking the CCTV camera footage along the route to track the cabbie’s movements and has called on anybody..."

As a selfish person, after essential expenses, I spend most of my very limited wealth on travel, instead of giving some of it to charity. However, only a totally and irredeemably evil person could spend $100,000 on a watch that just does the same job as a $100 watch, as well as a diamond ring, just because he couldn’t think of anything else to spend it on. If I had that kind of money, I would certainly prefer to give it to charity. If the driver really did steal it, I hope he gets away with it, and manages to fence it for at least 1% of its value. Hope this evil man gets nothing back from his insurance company.

26 minutes ago, CygnusX1 said:

As a selfish person, after essential expenses, I spend most of my very limited wealth on travel, instead of giving some of it to charity. However, only a totally and irredeemably evil person could spend $100,000 on a watch that just does the same job as a $100 watch, as well as a diamond ring, just because he couldn’t think of anything else to spend it on. If I had that kind of money, I would certainly prefer to give it to charity. If the driver really did steal it, I hope he gets away with it, and manages to fence it for at least 1% of its value. Hope this evil man gets nothing back from his insurance company.

Evil? Really? I can come up with many other adjectives that seems fit, but in what way is it evil to spend vast amounts of money on yourself if you made that money fair and square? I'd rather spend $100,000 on a charity than a watch for myself, but evil? That's just a weird sentiment.

1 hour ago, bergan said:

but in what way is it evil to spend vast amounts of money on yourself if you made that money fair and square? ... but evil? That's just a weird sentiment

The fact that you earned the money fair and square is irrelevant to the moral issue. You should read some of the writings of the utilitarian philosopher Peter Singer. He certainly makes me feel evil. Deciding not to save the child who’s fallen into a lake because it would ruin your new shoes is one of his fun conundrums.

Also reminds me of the scene in Titanic when a now elderly Rose drops a diamond worth hundreds of millions of dollars into the Titanic’s watery grave...so romantic. But if you think about it, that diamond’s a powerful wealth redistribution machine, and by selling it she could have induced a billionaire to donate hundreds of millions of dollars to charity, and saved the lives of thousands of children in the 3rd world.

3 hours ago, Just Weird said:

So is "thats"!  Seriously.

Yes. It's a thing with my phone. I assume it will insert apostrophe but doesn't always. We're online in a forum. Much of punctuation is going by the by online in forums anyway. Not so much for newsblogs.

Archived