What happens with people when they enter Thailand?

Matzzon

In my over 20 years in Thailand, I have always been amazed over how Thailand changes people.

Here it comes many so called expats and settle down. After that you see them out in the nightlife acting like they own the country, and later at night they walk home with somebody that could be their granddaughter. Exactly something they would never think of doing in their home country. What is it that makes this change? What makes a person remove themselfs from descent behaviour and moral values?

At the same time, the same bunch constantly complain about how hard it is to stay here and that the rules should be changed for them. They also feel like they are not welcome in Thailand and that they are hated by the Thai population.

How can they expect to be loved, when they live and behave like they own the country without any thoughts regarding what is considered right or wrong and have lost all recognition of a descent behaviour most of them had before they left their home country? How can they even ask for leaner rules and changes in the immigration law, when they are a part of the reason why the rules get stricter due to their behaviour that is not accepted anymore in this country?

I know many questions, but I am just curious to hear som of the input out there. I hope we can keep a descent discussion, without personal attacks and just refer to a specific part of the expat population in Thailand. No names mentioned or specific persons referred to.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could say Thailand attracts immature people in all different forms from criminals, never got out of mamas shirts, stupid, no moral, and many social excluded who find their paradise in Thailand. 

If you live here for awhile, you will meet them one by one, either in a bar or up north. 

11 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

its cheaper here, prostitutes are cheaper

as a function of population percentage

willing to prostitute them self, and

generally lower wages, that dampens the asking price.

you could say a functioning market economy

Prostitutes , is there anything else in Thailand apart from prostitutes ? 

Whats the weather like ? The food ?

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

if you look at OP inquiry, youll notice he didnt

pose the question why foreigners all of a sudden succumb

to feeding on thai food, or sunbath, he took issue

over that foreigners partake in the prostitution business

that is so prevalent here. pay attention

2 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

i see the thread locking crew is here.

go ahead tear it all down.

its not about the specifics of prostitution,

like the ever important issue of cost,

its that OP wants to proclaim he got the moral high ground.

to whom you might ask ?

i dont think he cares, he just want to proclaim moral high ground

6 hours ago, Matzzon said:

later at night they walk home with somebody that could be their granddaughter. Exactly something they would never think of doing in their home country.

LOL. They would do it in their own country, but it isn't possible, either because they ain't billionaires, or young women won't give them time of day.

Thais shouldn't complain. The amount of money put into the Thai economy by mongers since the 70s must amount to many billion baht, and many Thais continue to have better lives because a young Thai woman was able to marry an old farang man.

Don't look gift horses and all that.

6 hours ago, sanemax said:

For many that was the attraction. To deny it would be silly.

The weather is hot, like many places in the world, the food is just food- does anyone pay large to travel hours in a tube just to eat food?

7 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I guess dual pricing may help that argument , from entering a park to a taxi motorbike!

So, that´s what changes people as much as they just moan and feel like they can act and do what they want, and also do not understand how it really looks in the eyes of the genereal population?

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Do tell. I felt very loved by the Thais I met.

Yes, me too. I am just assuming out of all the complaints I read on this forum regarding that matter. There are countless comments about people that say they are hated, Thais are racists and they are not welcome in Thailand. 

I agree with you. I feel welcome everyday I step outside my home and beeing greeted by nice and wonderful people. I also feel happy to hear you post that kind of experience.

I guess it has to do with how you behave yourself as a person in their society, and that´s what this thread is all about.

7 hours ago, Tagged said:

You could say Thailand attracts immature people in all different forms from criminals, never got out of mamas shirts, stupid, no moral, and many social excluded who find their paradise in Thailand. 

If you live here for awhile, you will meet them one by one, either in a bar or up north. 

Which one are you? 

8 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

Are you bored have some of this

beer.jpg

Who said I was bored? I was asking valid questions based on the daily talk and posts as well as comments in this forum. You choosed to bring one of the factors to the problem into the discussion.

7 hours ago, sanemax said:

Yes, there is much more, and I sincerely hope you know that.

The weather is mostly nice and hot. The food is amazing.

7 hours ago, brokenbone said:

its not about the specifics of prostitution,

like the ever important issue of cost,

its that OP wants to proclaim he got the moral high ground.

to whom you might ask ?

i dont think he cares, he just want to proclaim moral high ground

Nope, it´s not. I am posing some questions related to eachother, if you read and understand my start. That is how so many persons can come to Thailand and forget everything they know about values, manors and respect. Indulging in the darks scences, and after that wants some respect regarding rules and regulations as well as the respect of Thai people. Who will respect people who do not respect themselfs?

1 hour ago, Puchaiyank said:

You...obviously occupying some mystical higher moral ground...take it upon yourself to pass judgement and lecture people you do not know...good show ole man!   ????

Please do report back after someone knocks you off your high-horse...????

Read above. There is nothing about high moral ground. Just about ordinary and natural things like giving and showing respect for a country and it´s population to get respect in return.

Seems to me most of this "behaviour and attitude" is rooted in the well known tourist paths. Get out of that area and the story is very different.

Thailand is so much more than a few square kilometers of bars and hookers. If you also consider how badly many visitors behave, the 4 week millionaire's, it no wonder the Thais have such a bad impression of foreigners in those same areas, again different story in rural Thailand.

12 minutes ago, madmen said:

Which one are you? 

If I can choose, I would be the stupid one. The one that actually stays and look at all this madness happening everyday and still reading about all the distorted information. On the other hand, there are so many good thing weighing up against all the bad.

2 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Seems to me most of this "behaviour and attitude" is rooted in the well known tourist paths. Get out of that area and the story is very different.

Thailand is so much much than a few square kilometers of bars and hookers. If you also consider how badly many visitors behave, the 4 week millionaire's, it no wonder the Thais have such a bad impression of foreigners in those same areas, again different story in rural Thailand.

You are right. Unfortunately there are also big expat communities in those areas, that are showing all the signs I have tried to point out, which also contribute to how the Thais look at foreigners. Not saying that all expats are included, but there are apearently enough many to create a kind of stamp.

5 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Nope, it´s not. I am posing some questions related to eachother, if you read and understand my start. That is how so many persons can come to Thailand and forget everything they know about values, manors and respect. Indulging in the darks scences, and after that wants some respect regarding rules and regulations as well as the respect of Thai people. Who will respect people who do not respect themselfs?

Read above. There is nothing about high moral ground. Just about ordinary and natural things like giving and showing respect for a country and it´s population to get respect in return.

I like to feel that I gave as much respect to the Thai people as they gave to me.

13 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Yes, there is much more, and I sincerely hope you know that.

The weather is mostly nice and hot. The food is amazing.

The weather is mosly over-powering much of the year, and local food is absolute rubbish.

2 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

The weather is mosly over-powering much of the year, and local food is absolute rubbish.

I respect your opinion. However, you do know that Thai food is seen as a very high standard of flavours and quality all over the world?

The weather, One to his own. Ok, somethimes it can be too much. That also happens in our own homes.

Archived