Video: Vietnam commemorating 50 years since Ho Chi Minh death

webfact

Vietnam commemorating 50 years since Ho Chi Minh death

Ho Chi Minh is still revered in Vietnam, seen as the man who brought independence to the country.

by Florence Looi

hcm.jpg

Video screenshot

Vietnam is marking 50 years since the death of its revolutionary leader, Ho Chi Minh. He is regarded as the father of the nation and the founder of its communist party.

The anniversary of his death also falls on Vietnam's national day. Al Jazeera's Florence Looi reports from the capital Hanoi on what Ho’s legacy means for the country.

-- AL JAZEERA 2019-09-03

1 hour ago, daoyai said:

Too bad he went commie, he tried to align with western democratic ideals but was rebuffed as the "west" supported French colonialism. He then turned to China and the rest is history.

I believe he turned to Russia, N-Korea turned to China ...

4 hours ago, Jack Mountain said:

I believe he turned to Russia, N-Korea turned to China ...

Correct, China was a long time enemy and they had fought many wars.  Ho had no choice but to turn to the Soviets for support.  He was a great admirer of the US and thought they would sympathize with him having a similar history in struggling against colonialism (the British).  Unfortunately they stabbed him in the back once again.

A true hero to the people who spent his entire life devoted to his country and its people.

A profound example of what unfaltering determination can achieve against overwhelming odds.

A rare man who never let his power or prestige sway his path nor alter his lifestyle 

RIP Uncle Ho

15 hours ago, Los Luver said:

R.I.P Sir Ho Chi Minh.

He trully loved his country!

I think it was great idea to change the city's name to Ho Chi Minh city.....

I disagree, a nice touch, but it will always be Saigon to me.  

Archived