No more flaunting of "red plate" licence laws, says DLT chief

webfact

No more flaunting of "red plate" licence laws, says DLT chief

2pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

The chief of the Department of Land Transport has ordered a crackdown on people driving around with red licence plates on new vehicles. 

Pheeraphon Thawornsuphacharoen has said that thirty days from purchase is the limit. 

Distributors must clearly specify the date of purchase and provide other documentation to go with the vehicle. 

Many people drive around with "new" vehicles for months and even years, notes Thaivisa. 

Daily News said criminal elements were circumventing the process. 

Pheeraphon said that if everything is in order after the purchase of a vehicle the permanent plates can be obtained within a day. 

Most dealers handle the process for purchasers and promise to get it completed within about a week. 

People flouting the 30 day law will face fines of 10,000 baht, he said. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-09-03
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, silverhawk_usa said:

It is the dealers who generally need the sanctions, not the owners. As the dealer processes the paperwork and handles the transaction.

If the dealer hasn't sorted the plates by the 30-day limit, you go to LTO and tell them, ask for a waiver form to show the police as it is not your fault...

Years back i used to see many of those new cars on the roads, nowadays, not so many at all, you can drive around all day and maybe you'll one or two cars, so not to worry too much there chief...

10,000B is not nearly enough of a deterrent for those who spend millions on cars and are waiting for a special plate. When we bought our car I couldn't wait to get our regular plates fitted.

2 minutes ago, 2long said:

10,000B is not nearly enough of a deterrent for those who spend millions on cars and are waiting for a special plate. When we bought our car I couldn't wait to get our regular plates fitted.

But you are not Thai....😋

Red plates are just another symptom of "Thainess". Like keeping a bed mattress wrapped in it's factory sealed plastic or keeping the peel-off film on a new TV forever, pretending to be "new". Also it's part of Thai road politics. Red plate says "hi-so better than you" so I can drive and park however I please, do you know who I am?! 

Just now, Dmaxdan said:

How about just having the cars pre-registered when people pick them up the showroom like the rest of the civilized world does? 

What, I am gasted and flabbered that you would suggest such a simple idea in LOS....😮

34 minutes ago, webfact said:

Most dealers handle the process for purchasers and promise to get it completed within about a week. 

Does anybody know any dealer who actually registers the vehicle with a week?

The fastest i've seen were two weeks, but just because i pressured it.

Especially Honda motorbike shops will usually tell people 90 days.

Archived