No more flaunting of "red plate" licence laws, says DLT chief

webfact

No more flaunting of "red plate" licence laws, says DLT chief

2pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

The chief of the Department of Land Transport has ordered a crackdown on people driving around with red licence plates on new vehicles. 

Pheeraphon Thawornsuphacharoen has said that thirty days from purchase is the limit. 

Distributors must clearly specify the date of purchase and provide other documentation to go with the vehicle. 

Many people drive around with "new" vehicles for months and even years, notes Thaivisa. 

Daily News said criminal elements were circumventing the process. 

Pheeraphon said that if everything is in order after the purchase of a vehicle the permanent plates can be obtained within a day. 

Most dealers handle the process for purchasers and promise to get it completed within about a week. 

People flouting the 30 day law will face fines of 10,000 baht, he said. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-09-03

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, silverhawk_usa said:

It is the dealers who generally need the sanctions, not the owners. As the dealer processes the paperwork and handles the transaction.

If the dealer hasn't sorted the plates by the 30-day limit, you go to LTO and tell them, ask for a waiver form to show the police as it is not your fault...

2 minutes ago, 2long said:

10,000B is not nearly enough of a deterrent for those who spend millions on cars and are waiting for a special plate. When we bought our car I couldn't wait to get our regular plates fitted.

But you are not Thai....????

Red plates are just another symptom of "Thainess". Like keeping a bed mattress wrapped in it's factory sealed plastic or keeping the peel-off film on a new TV forever, pretending to be "new". Also it's part of Thai road politics. Red plate says "hi-so better than you" so I can drive and park however I please, do you know who I am?! 

Just now, Dmaxdan said:

How about just having the cars pre-registered when people pick them up the showroom like the rest of the civilized world does? 

What, I am gasted and flabbered that you would suggest such a simple idea in LOS....????

34 minutes ago, webfact said:

Most dealers handle the process for purchasers and promise to get it completed within about a week. 

Does anybody know any dealer who actually registers the vehicle with a week?

The fastest i've seen were two weeks, but just because i pressured it.

Especially Honda motorbike shops will usually tell people 90 days.

27 minutes ago, webfact said:

The chief of the Department of Land Transport has ordered a crackdown on people driving around with red licence plates on new vehicles

Pheeraphon Thawornsuphacharoen has said that thirty days from purchase is the limit.

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy: Is this another fake news story? That new government department in charge of producing fake news seem to be off to a flying start.

Not quite the same as last year's fairy story. January 2018:

"Newly-bought vehicles that carry temporary red license plates will be banned from streets starting in June if a draft law is enacted, the Land Transport Department chief said on Monday.

He said the law was expected to be enacted in June, after which all new vehicles must have been registered to have license plates before they can be driven."

OK, last year it did say 'if a draft law is enacted'. Even so, I see we're on Plan B already, as in today's fairy story it's back to thirty days.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1020326-new-vehicles-with-temporary-license-plates-to-be-banned/

My next door neighbor who runs his factory from his house (complete with rotating shift patterns and female staff wearing hair nets) drives a beautiful black Mercedes Benz, convertible, top of the line for sure.

He changes his number plates like I change my underpants.

He's been driving around with a red plate now for the last 4 years.

I might dob him in.

37 minutes ago, zhounan said:

Sorry, I do not know the privileges deriving from the use of this red plate. I see so many around, why do they exist?

Can somebody explain to me?

I don't think there is any privilege involved here, but everyone likes a bit of a flaunt now and then, especially new car owners, and schoolgirls, apparently.

1 hour ago, silverhawk_usa said:

It is the dealers who generally need the sanctions, not the owners. As the dealer processes the paperwork and handles the transaction.

And retaining the 'new car' social cache is so incredibly important to most Thai owners, they are very, very reluctant to respond to the dealership's phone, email or text message advising them that their regular plates are ready and have been for 3 years already.

Just ask asiaexpat's daughter.

1 hour ago, Dmaxdan said:

How about just having the cars pre-registered when people pick them up the showroom like the rest of the civilized world does? 

Precisely this. I cannot understand the need for a red plate. We had ours for about 3 - 4 months until Mazda finally organised the white one for us. My wife didn't seem bothered about it at all. 

43 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

3 months also for us

Riding on a red plate would have been an improvement on my experience. "You don't need a plate. Just don't leave the province" was what the dealer told me. After I bugged the dealer every week for three months, they finally took care of it. 

BTW ... New vehicle, I paid cash, and provided all the documentation up front. I don't know what the hold up was but there were a couple of subtle hints that they could take care of a problem with the paperwork for a small fee. /roll eyes.

Archived