What does เหี้ย means exactly?

zhounan

Hi everybody, I'm a little bit confused. Some people say this term indicate men who are always looking for girls to have sexual relationship, some people translate simply <deleted>, wrong-doing men.

What's the exact meaning of this word?

It is the Thai name for Monitor Lizard. 

What you are talking about is its use as a name ไอ้เหี้ย (the/you <deleted>)  It can also be used as an exclamation เหี้ย (Oh <deleted>) It is very impolite so used when politeness is not necessary, in ones own society for example.  I know a driver who uses it when anyone ‘cuts him up’ on the road. 

If you want to refer to the animal you say ตัวเหี้ย . 

I see that two perfectly respectable English words have been deleted yet เหี้ย remains, what does that tell us? 

49 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

It is the Thai name for Monitor Lizard. 

What you are talking about is its use as a name ไอ้เหี้ย (the/you <deleted>)  It can also be used as an exclamation เหี้ย (Oh <deleted>) It is very impolite so used when politeness is not necessary, in ones own society for example.  I know a driver who uses it when anyone ‘cuts him up’ on the road. 

If you want to refer to the animal you say ตัวเหี้ย . 

I see that two perfectly respectable English words have been deleted yet เหี้ย remains, what does that tell us? 

so don't indicate men who usually like to change sexual partner, is it right?

It's been explained to me that it's used as a general derogatory term, and this seems to be what you want to know. It's a bit like calling someone a 'snake' in English in that they are not someone who can't be trusted, but it's really more like calling someone a "c*nt" in English which would normally be a strong insult.

*that's a 'u' asterisked out

OP beware, this is extremely bad.

Do not use it,  under no circumstances. 

If you use this word the reaction of the other person may result in bodily harm. 

At the very least, by using this word you show that you are very low class, scum.

You may hear this word used by (low class) Thais, but they know when and how to use it.

Archived