Pattaya: Farang slammed for keeping "dangerous" leopard as a pet

webfact

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

I am pals with a ginger tomcat. He meows a greeting, and loves it when I pick him up and scratch him under his chin. One day I watched him stalk and kill a rat. He had turned into a focused killer. If this behavior exists in house cats, then it must exist in leopards. Begging the question - what could trigger it?

I had one great yellow tomcat.  Got him in the lobby of a Walmart store in Virginia, USA as a wee kitten.  A little kid was there and had to give the cat away.  (Smart parents). He said "Mister, he already killed a mouse".  Done deal.  My Thai sis-in-law was there on a trip to buy a golden retriever pup to take back to Thailand to breed.

We had that cat for years, one of my best ever.  Relaxed and stretched out, he was about 1 meter long from toe to toe, not including tail.  Thin.  Fastest cat I've ever seen, and we saw him run under a moving car and reverse out the same way one time (bunged up his tail and he disappeared for a day or two) between the front and rear wheels. He was the Alpha male in the neighborhood, ran down and ate many, many squirrels in the yard, all but the skull and tail.  But in the house he was always gentle.  Loved the ladies, especially my wife's young Thai girl friends (but so did I.) He'd come up and put his front legs over their thighs and lay there, but never get in anyone's face.  Just don't pet his belly, he didn't like that.  Or maybe he did, but be prepared to get nipped.

Sadly, after 10 years or so, he disappeared.  Maybe a coyote got him.

10 hours ago, JeffreyO said:

There was the lady in, I believe it was near Cleveland, who had a pet chimpanzee.  It was an excellent pet until she got something just a little too close to her face and the monkey attacked, ended up nearly killing the woman and ripped her face completely off.

Some animals are not suitable for pets as they haven't been domesticated.  It may show respect and love to you but a single snap and you're done for.  Humans survived due to intelligence and ingenuity, we're not well known for physical strength or fighting.  If something goes down, the Leopard wins...

Travis?  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travis_(chimpanzee)

"...he suddenly attacked Herold's friend Charla Nash and grievously mauled her, blinding her while severing her nose, ears, and both hands, and severely lacerating her face. He was subsequently shot dead upon the arrival of the police after he tried to attack an officer.  ..."  

19 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

At least the leopard is alive.

I wonder if that same activist is also shocked and baffled that a rich Thai leopard eater convicted by a Thai court beginning of the year is not serving his prison sentence but mingling with the highest government officials at one of his construction projects instead...

Probably not.

Probably he will! The problem here is that the rich man did get convicted in the Provincial Court and has appealed to the court of Appeal. Under Thai law anyone charged with a crime can ask for bail while they await the appeal (that might take up to 2 years). I would be baffled if he is "found not guilty" in the upcoming appeal or in front of the Supreme Court. Pity that you conclude I would "probably not" have. problem with that, I actually do. But then again you don't know me. 

18 hours ago, Dragon Master 01 said:

As far as I knew it's not illegal to have Leopards or Tigers as pets in Thailand as long as you look after them well and have decent fencing around your property.

I intended to get a Tiger as a pet when I go back but I wouldn't be living anywhere near Pataya as I don't like the place 

I'd rather live out in the Country and there are some nice properties out there where my Tiger would have heaps of space to roam around the secure property.

I think the animal activist wanted the Leopard to add to his collection Typhoon looks like a nice cat but I agree he needs more space than just a home near Pataya but as long as it was fenced properly like the authorities say they found a 10ft fence with wire above that's a pretty reasonable fence when the couple had only just moved there 5 days earlier I think the article has said.

As far as I'm concerned as long as the couple look after Typhoon well and secure and if they have to register him they should be allowed to keep him????????

No, there has been an amnesty in 1992 and 2003 where some people registered several different wild and protected animals and were allowed to keep them at the time. You can not just buy any of these animals anymore. The animal activist currently cares for about 900 animals and definitely doesn't need one leopard more.  

They have been ordered to make improvements to the house so that the leopard can't get out and attack neighbors. 

A small pen_s problem? i mean why would somebody raise leopards in a house?

So the poster a couple of days ago who's "spying on" his neighbors, informed them. 

People are strange. 

22 minutes ago, Wildliferescue said:

That is actually a tiger cub, not a leopard, will be twice the size of a leopard in weight once it is grown up.

I had actually noticed that.  To be honest I do not want to meet the adult version of either!  The jury is quite divided on which is the most successful maneater.  J.H. Corbett wrote some very good books on his adventures in India trying to eliminate the more prolific ones.

UPDATE:

Farang leopard owner "prowling" inside the house as reporters visit

Reporters from 77kaoded went to the house in Na Jomtien in the Pattaya area where a Thai woman and her foreign husband are keeping a leopard. 

Full story: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1121644-farang-leopard-owner-prowling-inside-the-house-as-reporters-visit/

27 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Just like the 300lb baby gorilla that grew up eh? 

That reminds of a golf joke but it takes too long to type it. Short version.

Guy turns up at the golf course with a gorilla on a chain and challenges anyone to beat the gorilla. Gets one taker and one the first tee he points to the green, hits the gorilla on the head, gives him a 9 iron and the gorilla lands the ball 12 inches from the hole. The challenger concedes the hole after dropping 50 yards short. This gets repeated for all 18 holes.

In the clubhouse the wager is paid and the challenger asks, what's his putting like?

Gorilla owner says, just the same, ball lands on the next green every stroke.

I'll get my coat.

How can anybody legally own a leopard?  

Why do you buy one from, and where do these suppliers get them from in the first place?

Can I just go along to the local tiger kingdom tourist attraction and buy a few tiger cubs and keep them in my condo?  Seems from this article it is fine to do that.. don't even bother getting documentation until some find out, and even then that's no problem.

These people already caused the deaths of several other leopards, and even one of the 2 they still have is sick.  They clearly can't care for them properly... and the garden is no way safe to keep the big cat in if it decided it wanted out.  If it attacked or killed anyone... that is not a problem either?

What a lot of stupid selfish people in this story.  

Wild animals are not suitable as pets at all... and I can't understand the mentality of they guy keeping a leopard in a house.... let alone buying so many in the first place and still thinking its ok to keep one even though many have died in his care.  If I had so many dogs and many died like that.. I am sure the police and animal rights people would try to say it was animal abuse... but not in this case.  He must be friends with the 'right' people or paid a lot of money to someone.  

disgusting.  

19 hours ago, Grusa said:

The owner, Mario, said they were tame and harmless, bit also said that he would not let them loose in the garden whilst the officials were there because they would get bitten

Yes, very safe. Indeed, "tame and harmless". Yet the owner claimed he "would not let them loose in the garden whilst the officials were there because they would get bitten".

So which is it? Are they "tame and harmless" or a threat to any strangers they may encounter. All that needs to happen is for one of these cats to see something (i.e a cat, dog, bird, etc.) that triggers its prey drive while the owner temporarily has a door or gate open to either leave or enter the yard, and one or both of these large cats are out. Then what happens?

P.S. This is not directed specifically at user Grusa, whose post I quoted. I just wanted to highlight what the leopard owner told him to show the folly of owning such an animal in a residential area.

Why am I not surprised, this is the same couple whose architectural showroom/office on the left hand side of Thappraya Road, ( now vacant ),  heading to the Pratumnak traffic light intersection was raided a few years ago by the authorities and they were found to be keeping all manner of exotic animals inside, assorted reptiles and I'm sure a leopard.  I drove past on my way home and saw all the commotion and by coincidence or not about an hour later a massive ape appeared on my condo balcony, luckily my windows were closed. They had cages out the back of the office and I strongly suspect the animal got out made it's way down the back of the then heavily overgrown terrain. I wonder what the final outcome was of the first case, it could be these were the offspring of one of the animals they were keeping at the time. 

Just checking and sure enough. Khaosod English 2015 - " Leopard Sightings Prompt raid on Pattaya Office "

" Videos of leopards prowling around inside a Pattaya office building led police to raid the office building. ... The company owner told police the leopards were sick so she had sent them to an animal hospital in Bangkok for treatment. However officers discovered large glass terraniums filled with other wildlife including snakes and iguana "

• 4 months later...

Archived