Water Pump turning on by self every 78 seconds for 5 seconds

4MyEgo

I have a the less than 2 year old water pump which turning itself on every 78 seconds without anyone using it.

It stays on for 5 seconds then turns off again, it's doing my head in.

I have checked everywhere for leaks, to no avail, including toilet cisterns, taps, hoses etc etc eliminating everything which leads me to the pump, maybe a flange type washer needing replacement, or the float in one of or both the 1,000 litre water tanks.

If anyone has had similar issues and sorted it, please lead me into the right direction.

Thanks in advance for any heads up.

Do you have a shut off valve at output of pump (before feeding house?)  That would greatly help in troubleshooting - if closed and still happens you know it is pump/storage tank related but if does not happen you know it is a leak in/under house.  

This often happens if you have storage tank you pump from but also have city water attached to house and a check valve leaking (pumping back into mains water supply).

If it's taking 5 seconds to get the pressure back then it's very likely you have a leak somewhere.

Do you have a bypass allowing the incoming supply to provide water in case of pump failure ?

If you do, turn off the pump, close the outlet valve and the inlets to your tanks, then take a look at the water meter with all taps etc off and see if there is still water flowing.

We identified a leak this way, after much digging and breaking through reinforced concrete we ascertained it was underground and had to cap a pipe and make an alternative supply to the kitchen.

In our rental rooms, the usual suspects are the "bum guns" which get dropped and split, sometimes difficult to spot the leak in a bathroom which is always wet.

Pretty certain a leak somewhere try obvious bum buns cistern taps for small leaks 

Then return valves in pipes to and from tank mine developed a split ,failing that a hidden leak possibly underground i would think

1 hour ago, timendres said:

In my case, it was a water leak. But it can also be an issue with the pressure in the pump. If the pump is losing pressure over time, or is waterlogged, it will cause the pump to kick in.

Could you please explain what do you mean by "waterlogged" pump? 

I have an issue of my pump surging when in use. Pressure switch cycles on and off at a rate of approx. once per second.  Should there be any water in the reservoir which is part of the water pump?  The pump motor itself sits atop of a base which itself looks to be a reservoir. Should this reservoir have water or only air inside?

Running every 78 seconds is a pretty big leak.. You can get an idea of how big by opening a tap just after the pump has switched off and see how much comes out before the pump cuts in again..   I'd guess around 1/2 to 1 pint.

Could be a bum gun as others have suggested, or a leaking W/C cistern (either the overflow, or the flapper).  Some designs of W/C the overflow goes direct into the W/C outlet so you won't see it.. but you should hear it it's continually filling... you can check for a passing flapper by running some dye (or water based paint around the pan, and you'll see if it's continually flowing.

Most likely though is a pipework leak (usually in the most in accessible part of the house)... One of the reasons exposed pipes are preferable.  If there is a valve on the pump outlet close this and the pump should stop cycling... Then start digging up your concrete..!!!

If the pump continues to cycle, then the only problem can be the inlet check valve passing back.  Often caused by a bit of sand or a strand of PTFE tape.  Opening up all your taps (especially those without faucets) full bore will sometimes clear it..  If not replace the check valve (they're usually located in the inlet flange.

This has happened several times in my son's house and it has always turned out to be one of the toilet cisterns. The leak is usually barely detectable by sight alone. If you have a stop valve on the pipe leading to the toilet, turn this off and see what happens.  

20 minutes ago, albertik said:

Could you please explain what do you mean by "waterlogged" pump? 

There should be both air and water in the pressure tank - if there is loss of air/or dissolves into water in the case without a bladder/tank becomes full of water so almost no pressure difference.  Normally easy to solve by draining tank (if not damaged) and letter water fill it again trapping the air to provide pressure - bladder tank will have a normal pump input you can use to add air.  This normally happens over a period of time rather than appearing one day but might not be noticed.

Fortunately the pipes run along the side of the house almost butted up against the external walls so no one walks on them, and are under the ground and not too low down so we can access them, not under any concrete.

The above said, further investigations found the culprit, it is a leak, i.e. I was about to start inspecting the pipes coming up from under the ground that go into the kitchen, and 3 bathrooms, when my wife yelled out that she found it, me previously saying to her, get off your rear, stop making sweets and playing with flour as it is not important to me, I want this pump problem sorted, and I suggested she do something with the inflow out flow taps to the pump, she knows what I am talking about to try and isolate it further, she washed her hands, rolled her sleeved up further and said I hate you ???? walked off and yelled out a minute later, I found it...lol, it was at the first bathroom pipe she looked at nearest the pump, i.e. where the pipe comes up out of the ground and the joint that bends to go into the wall directly where the toilet butts up against the wall inside, water spraying out, the plumber/wife is onto it, then she can go back to making her sweets, and tell me she love me long time, yep, tough guy I am, usually take me 3 days to crack the whip after I have told her time and time again, appears today must be day 3 ????

Thanks for all of your inputs, makes for an interesting read, and in this case, it was as many stated, a leak, well done lads.

Had the same issue and it was the back flow preventer before the pump into the well. Took me a while to find this one. Could be also the pipe between the pump and the well that is cracked. ????

Edit: just finished reading your last post. Good for you! 

lopburi3,   Thanks for your input. I think this was the info I needed. (post# 10) My pump reservoir does not have a bladder. I will try releasing water from the port located at the bottom of the reservoir, as soon as I work up the courage. Currently the pump is working and merely a slight annoyance so I am hesitant to screw with it further for fear of a total pump failure. 

Thanks again.

For a normal tank it should - there are pumps with small cup size tanks (continuous pressure) that require it be pressurized with tire pump but had no problem draining and then starting over with normal pump when used them years ago.  Be  sure you have prime in pump to get water started.

4 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

For a normal tank it should - there are pumps with small cup size tanks (continuous pressure) that require it be pressurized with tire pump but had no problem draining and then starting over with normal pump when used them years ago.  Be  sure you have prime in pump to get water started.

I'm pretty sure that there is no place for an air injection, and that this type of reservoir doesn't require one.  And yes, I have an elevated holding tank so priming should not be a problem.  Thanks again.

Archived