UK Degree Certificate 'verification' for full time job.

Globaleyes

Hello,

I've been asked to get my degree certificate certified / verified / legalised at my ever-so-helpful embassy. This is for a full time job offer starting soon.

Looking on the Embassy website, it appears that they don't do this in Thailand, unless there is a service option I've missed.

Is that really the case?  Do I really have to send my certificate to a Notary in the UK, then the Legalisation office in Milton Keynes, then to the Thai embassy in London, then to the Ministry of foreign affairs in Bangkok? Have I got this wrong?

Does anyone know how long this might take?

I have seen this mentioned on here before, but I have never done it.

I am British and work at an international school in Bangkok and all my original documents (degree, PGCE, QTS etc) were fine and I was never asked to get anything notarised, nor have any of my friends that work in similar places. 

• 3 weeks later...

You don't need to go through all of that. I did that when I needed my degree authenticated to get a job in China. It was with the Secretary of State, Thailand rejected it. I also had a copy authenticated with a notary and my registrar via apostilization and of course they rejected that one too.

What they want is for you to raise your right hand at your embassy and sweat that its real. That's it. Please don't waste time and money doing it right, it will just be rejected as mine was.  They are wanting that fancy letterhead from your embassy.

On 9/3/2019 at 12:37 PM, Globaleyes said:

Is that really the case?  Do I really have to send my certificate to a Notary in the UK, then the Legalisation office in Milton Keynes, then to the Thai embassy in London, then to the Ministry of foreign affairs in Bangkok? Have I got this wrong?

This is correct. Your certificate will return all creased and damaged by the post office. Expect to pay between 500-1000 pounds for the pleasure.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi globaleyes,  i was wondering how you got on?  Ive just completed a tefl course and im looking for a teaching job in may.  Ive got my original copy of my degree and transcripts and wondering if i need to get them notarised and approved by the thai embassy

Hello,

I've been asked to get my degree certificate certified / verified / legalised at my ever-so-helpful embassy. This is for a full time job offer starting soon.

Looking on the Embassy website, it appears that they don't do this in Thailand, unless there is a service option I've missed.

Does anyone know how long this might take?
Yes, that's how it works. If you have friends/family in the UK who can post it for you it helps, but that's not always going to be possible. Allow around one month.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

As as aside, could you ask the employer if they will accept a direct verification? 

When I first was hired (I am an American and hold my degree from a Pac12 university on the west coast) the university I attended is a part of a national degree verification "clearing house" system which, if your university participated, would allow 3rd parties (like prospective employers) to logon (with your authorization) see what degree you earned, dates of enrollment and print a "quick" degree -- all from the secured site and backed up by the university.

My employer accepted that, but later asked if I could get my university to mail - directly to the HR department - a hard copy of my transcript and degree.. which my American university did.. but, by using the cleaning house system, I was able to at least get my application initially approved (pending receipt of final documents) and get to contract signing, with minimal wait..

Just a thought if such a process exists in your case.

On 9/25/2019 at 6:05 PM, stubuzz said:

This is correct. Your certificate will return all creased and damaged by the post office. Expect to pay between 500-1000 pounds for the pleasure.

Eh?

£500-1000 Where do you get that from?

You get a solicitor to sign the back, get it legalised in Milton Keynes then stamped at the Thai Embassy in London.

https://www.gov.uk/get-document-legalised £30 plus postage.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/81905-Legalisation.html £10 plus postage.

RAZZ

Archived