Indian visitors to Phuket surge whilst total numbers drop

webfact

Indian visitors to Phuket surge whilst total numbers drop

By Bill Barnett

Phuket-tourists.jpg

by Bill Barnett from c9hotelworks.com

The soaring number of Indian visitors to Phuket for the first seven months of 2019 has propelled Indian tourists into the Top 5 arrivals for the first time.

Arrivals from India from January – July, compared to the same period in 2018, grew 354%, amassing a total of 186,360 arrivals.

Mainland Chinese arrival figures continue to drop with an 18% decline, year on year. Russian tourists also dropped 3%, and Australians down 1%. South Korea rounded out the Top 5 international source markets with a 3% gain.

Looking at growth, Malaysia doubled year-on-year figures. And despite a strong baht, UK tourists posted a rise of 36% and Germany 7%.

Diving into total passenger arrivals at Phuket International Airport for the first seven months this year, compared to the same period in 2018, arrivals have dropped 5%.

There is little doubt the ‘China conundrum’ remains central to Phuket’s tourism narrative, as the shrinking numbers indicate just over 1.2 million arrivals in seven months, compared over 1.4 million last year.

While all eyes are on India, the reality is Phuket is not the only Southeast Asian market tapping this source, as Bali and Vietnam are experiencing fast growing airlift to the region.

Source: https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/tourism/indian-visitors-to-phuket-surge-whilst-total-numbers-drop

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Oziex1 said:

Am I seeing Indians in the photo or Chinese?

Never let the details get in the way of a good story.

The headline "Indian visitors to Phuket surge whilst total numbers drop". A TAT news release would no doubt exclude the words "whilst total numbers drop".

23 minutes ago, b2bme said:

I take it you look down on Indians or see yourself above them. Typical comment though from someone of the flag on your profile. I laugh at your pompous attitude as your Empire crumbles.

I recall reading where your national dish is now curry and chips......LOL

At least we had an empire.

1 hour ago, Geoffggi said:

No wonder everyone is leaving if that many Indians are arriving......LOL

4 minutes ago, mike1967 said:

Indians have such a fantastic reputation and deservedly so!!! Trying to bargain over a 10 baht, baht bus. Sharing a tiny cup of coffee between 4 people and let's not even go there with the girls. Far as I'm concerned it's another reason not to go to Phuket.

5 minutes ago, mike1967 said:

Indians have such a fantastic reputation and deservedly so!!! Trying to bargain over a 10 baht, baht bus. Sharing a tiny cup of coffee between 4 people and let's not even go there with the girls. Far as I'm concerned it's another reason not to go to Phuket.

Well indians are not murderers, also they dont run into others rooms nude intoxicated to strangle others. What happened in Karon was shamefull by a Norvegian. Also indians dont beg money to go back.

49 minutes ago, mstevens said:

I thought the Brits were leaving Thailand in droves because they think the country is expensive and with their weak currency that can't afford to stay.

At least when we go out drinking we have a beer each....LOL

15 hours ago, madmitch said:

UK up 36%? The rest of the figures I can believe but not this one.

Although the pound is at its lowest against the Baht inexperienced travellers , (Holiday makes) don't look at the exchange rate . They come here TLand with a load of money and when thats spent thats it. Its not till after they realise what little value they've had for the money spent. So they think shan't be going back their again.

9 minutes ago, Percy P said:

Although the pound is at its lowest against the Baht inexperienced travellers , (Holiday makes) don't look at the exchange rate . They come here TLand with a load of money and when thats spent thats it. Its not till after they realise what little value they've had for the money spent. So they think shan't be going back their again.

Agree, but my comment was nothing to do with the ROE, just that I don't see that many British tourists in Phuket in comparison to a few years ago.

1 hour ago, mstevens said:

I thought the Brits were leaving Thailand in droves because they think the country is expensive and with their weak currency that can't afford to stay.

Well if your just a tourist ok. But a retiree has to deposit 800,000 Baht (£21000) to stay here for 1 year. Plus the fact that their pension has dropped by 50%. How much money do you bring here just to spend on yourself.

1 hour ago, b2bme said:

I take it you look down on Indians or see yourself above them. Typical comment though from someone of the flag on your profile. I laugh at your pompous attitude as your Empire crumbles.

Great news this means you or any of your family will not be living in UK.....LOL

1 hour ago, mike1967 said:

Yes, not being a murderer. I always find that a plus in anyone's personality. Facts are facts. They are unpopular in Thailand for a reason. Just ask the locals. 

They and Chinese now have more money. Everyone is crying of strong baht but they can spend. Grow up face reality. 

2 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

No wonder everyone is leaving if that many Indians are arriving......LOL

Same thing is happening in Pattaya, and I honestly believe they will destroy the place after seeing several of them urinating in THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD on Soi 4 a couple of weeks ago ! This is not to mention their practice of washing their underwear in the hotel swimming pools ???? Still I guess the water would be cleaner than the Ganges. With the governments plan to increase their numbers tenfold, I see a mass exodus of civilized folks to other destinations, sad.

1 hour ago, chang1 said:
1 hour ago, b2bme said:

At least we had an empire.

My grandfather had a lovely, shiny pushbike many years ago.  He stole it from a smaller, weaker kid down the block.

I, and his other descendants, don't laud ourselves, and proclaim the glory of his theft, to this day.  

16 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Well if this doesn't warrant a tip to Italy for the Tourism Minister, I don't know what does.

They all look like 4.00am stayers, don't they! 

it is so ludicrous. It's akin to if I worked at a brewery, that I needed to go and spend a week at the pub to sample the competitions beer, and see what people are drinking. Sure there is a research team who would conduct market research, but not some random guy from the office declaring he is zipping off to the boozer for a week on a research mission 

9 minutes ago, Thaifriends said:

Back in UK also only beer with brits and their gals with Indians. 

So who enjoys most?   ????????????

Yes we do have some foreign women who like going with Indians, but usually one at a time not the way Indians gang up on women

Archived