2019 Mazda 3

taichiplanet

The 4th Gen Mazda3 will finally be released in Thailand on 18th Sept. Waiting to see if much of a price increase over the older model. No specs for the Thai models yet.

Will be interesting to see if they release the Skyactiv-X engine at the same time or wait til next year. The Skyactiv-X engine gives an extra 20HP, but may add 10-20% to the price over the Skyactive-G.

2019-mazda3.jpg.c6c1502392edb012c561b124d03f3fcc.jpg

12 hours ago, DavisH said:

It's the same engine as in the previous model. No skyactiv-x yet. Late next year maybe. 

Thai specs here:

http://www.headlightmag.com/first-impression-review-mazda-3-thaispec2019/

Thanks for that. A pity about the X, just as interested in the tech as in the extra HP. Seems same engine (though specs not officially released yet but guessing you have inside info) as previous G running 14:1 compression and 165 HP, while the Australian version is 13.5:1 and about 153 HP. Though Australia also gets the 2.5 Litre.

Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh, it might help spice up the dowdy Thai cars available and make other manufacturers to be a bit more adventurous in styling; too late for the new Corolla Altis!

3 hours ago, taichiplanet said:

Thanks for that. A pity about the X, just as interested in the tech as in the extra HP. Seems same engine (though specs not officially released yet but guessing you have inside info) as previous G running 14:1 compression and 165 HP, while the Australian version is 13.5:1 and about 153 HP. Though Australia also gets the 2.5 Litre.

Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh, it might help spice up the dowdy Thai cars available and make other manufacturers to be a bit more adventurous in styling; too late for the new Corolla Altis!

In that article they state a few minor changes to the engine. This engine is having issues with its fuel pump for a number of customers, but as I understand it, they havent addressed these problems in this monor change. 

They even get a 230HP 2.5 turbo petrol engine in the new cx-5 in Japan. That would be nice.

1 hour ago, DavisH said:

In that article they state a few minor changes to the engine. This engine is having issues with its fuel pump for a number of customers, but as I understand it, they havent addressed these problems in this monor change. 

They even get a 230HP 2.5 turbo petrol engine in the new cx-5 in Japan. That would be nice.

and add All Wheel Drive to the wish list, that would be sweet! ????

Interesting about the fuel pump problem, i hadn't come across that.

I've had a Mazda 2014 hatchback which I bought new and have had no problems with it. Love the car and I drive the <deleted> out of it. Ring it out everytime I get on the open highway. I like the look of the Gen 3 hatchback and the Gen 4 sedan. I like the silver color as it shows the dirt the least of any color. This pix was taken last week BEFORE the car was washed.

unwashed.jpg

On 9/3/2019 at 9:17 PM, DavisH said:

It's the same engine as in the previous model. No skyactiv-x yet. Late next year maybe. 

Thai specs here:

http://www.headlightmag.com/first-impression-review-mazda-3-thaispec2019/

Buy EDV electric driven vehicle and help save the planet. Having a  fossil fuelled car you have no right to complain about air quality.

1 hour ago, Percy P said:

Buy EDV electric driven vehicle and help save the planet. Having a  fossil fuelled car you have no right to complain about air quality.

Wouldn't mind an EV but nothing interesting in Thailand at the moment. I guess once i am ready to replace the Mazda 3 in 5 years time there will be some good choices. i could see myself getting something like the Nissan Urban EV.

BTW not meaning to be churlish, but the planet doesn't need saving it is humans that need saving; the planet will continue blithely along without us on it.

honda_urban_ev_concept_-_front_3_4.jpg.992d43e19f348f2da06c2f21f359ae75.jpg

7 minutes ago, BestB said:

The new Mazda’s are really nice cars to drive . 3 handles and feels as good as BMW 3 series , but it just does not hold any value at all. 

I know for a fact.... had a 3 for 2.5 years bought at 980 k tried to trade for a CX 5 and was offered 550 k but do agree with the driving, great handling this is my 6th Mazda

5 minutes ago, batata said:

I know for a fact.... had a 3 for 2.5 years bought at 980 k tried to trade for a CX 5 and was offered 550 k but do agree with the driving, great handling this is my 6th Mazda

So you were offered half price for 2.5 year old car?

i had a vigo, new 740k, 3.5 years later sold for 580k 

mitsu pajero, new 1.1 million , 6-7 years later 630k

see the difference ?

1 minute ago, BestB said:

see the difference ?

unfortunately I do,,,, Mazda has great cars but don't hold value, before had a Pajero also got a deal similar to yours, Toyota also holds value but I like Mazda engines and handling, sometimes one has to accept a bad deal and I did 2 x in a row, did learn the lesson

9 hours ago, Rdrokit said:

I've had a Mazda 2014 hatchback which I bought new and have had no problems with it. Love the car and I drive the <deleted> out of it. Ring it out everytime I get on the open highway. I like the look of the Gen 3 hatchback and the Gen 4 sedan. I like the silver color as it shows the dirt the least of any color. This pix was taken last week BEFORE the car was washed.

unwashed.jpg

Note to self... Be very careful if purchasing a Silver 2014 Mazda 3 hatchback - someone has 'driven the <deleted> out of it. Rung it out everytime they got on the open highway' !!!!! 

Seriously thought, Mazda's are excellent cars. The quality, especially of the interior surprised the S!*t out of me, although I have heard reports of engine difficulties, I have a a CX-5 for nearly 2 years now, not so much as an issue. 

That new Mazda 3 Coupe looks great and for the money is definitely worth considering over the equivalent BMW (1, 2 Series or even X1) or Merc (A or B Class).

1 hour ago, emptypockets said:

Import or made in Thailand?

All Mazda 2 , 3 and CX5 are assembled in Thailand. The owner of the Mazda (and Ford) dealership here in Korat drives a CX-9 which is an import and not assembled in Thailand.

21 hours ago, BestB said:

see the difference ?

i bought a one owner 3 year old Jazz that had 15k kms for half price (360k), and it was one of the Japan imports. Maybe it is just the SUVs and pick-ups keeping more value. It use to be the case for cars as well, so i wonder if it will change eventually for the bigger vehicles.

i prefer a car, and at the moment the Maz3 is on top of the list, at least until i see the Gen 4. i'd keep it for 5 years so hopefully by then the depreciation has slowed. i wonder if Mazda Thailand will start to give 5 year warranty on all their range (i think at the mo it is only the CX5), that will boost their sales and reputation.

26 minutes ago, Sam Lin said:

This is incorrect. CX5 are not assembled in Thailand. Thai market CX5 are assembled in Malaysia and brought in under ASEAN tariff benefits.

Well if you are correct the new CX5 in Malaysia is getting the 2.5 liter turbo engine. If it indeed comes to Thailand than I will trade in my Mazda 3 for one.

https://www.carlist.my/news/2019-mazda-cx-5-25-turbo-previewed-most-powerful-suv-class/57241/

On 9/6/2019 at 6:38 PM, taichiplanet said:

i bought a one owner 3 year old Jazz that had 15k kms for half price (360k), and it was one of the Japan imports. Maybe it is just the SUVs and pick-ups keeping more value. It use to be the case for cars as well, so i wonder if it will change eventually for the bigger vehicles.

i prefer a car, and at the moment the Maz3 is on top of the list, at least until i see the Gen 4. i'd keep it for 5 years so hopefully by then the depreciation has slowed. i wonder if Mazda Thailand will start to give 5 year warranty on all their range (i think at the mo it is only the CX5), that will boost their sales and reputation.

It varies by model but pickups and pickup based SUV's generally hold value better than most cars and car based CUV's. 

It does not really matter unless you are focused on resale value.  If you want a car or car based CUV and prefer their driving style, a little extra depreciation over a normal life is not the end of the world.  

• 2 weeks later...

the specs have been released for the new 3. Only 3 grades as they've dropped the lower one; C, S and SP. From 969,000 to 1,198,000 (plus 10-17k extra for metallic paints). Only the 2 Litre G engine.

The Hatch looks great, though seems to be limited rear view. Test drove the Sedan and it was nice enough, hard to tell much on a limited drive. The SP has sensors all round the bumbers, which the C and S don't have so many, on the white car they were quite obtrusive.  I asked about the X engine and got a definite "Thailand will not get because too expensive" but will take that as a maybe, knowing how car salespersons are.

https://www.mazda.co.th/cars/mazda3-sedan/

https://www.mazda.co.th/cars/mazda3-fastback/

The old and new. Can see the tailgate is much shorter on the new 3, so a bit of a lift to get things over the bumper; though the accessories show a clear film to protect that plus a rubber mat for the hatch boot.

IMG_20190918_144848_1.thumb.jpg.5b4715c18281676fad3249b0d3322b78.jpg

1 hour ago, Rdrokit said:

That's a gen 2 and a gen 4. Like to see the gen 4 and gen 3 back to back.

i should've realised, the Gen3 is a nice looking car. This is the best i could come up with for rear end comparison of Gen 3 and 4.

Forgot to mention, the dealer was keen to put a deal together, said i could have a car in a week and get a powerbank and bag! I was a bit reluctant as at that stage they didn't even know what the price would be. ????

228012934_Mazda3RearGen3and4compare.thumb.jpg.b250df355eea62aff6ce9549cde2a1ab.jpg

Thanks. I like the Gen 3 hatchback over the gen 4 and the gen 4 sedan over the gen 3 sedan.  It's time for me to trade in my 2014 hatch on a new model and I don't like the gen 4 hatch but need the room of a hatch. I will take a look at the CX3 as it has the same 2 liter engine as the 3 with 9 less horsepower. I like the CX5 but it is under powered with the same 2 liter as the 3. I see Malaysia is getting the 2.5 liter turbo as an option in the CX5 but I am not getting my hopes up that engine makes it to the Thai market.

10 hours ago, Rdrokit said:

Thanks. I like the Gen 3 hatchback over the gen 4 and the gen 4 sedan over the gen 3 sedan.  It's time for me to trade in my 2014 hatch on a new model and I don't like the gen 4 hatch but need the room of a hatch. I will take a look at the CX3 as it has the same 2 liter engine as the 3 with 9 less horsepower. I like the CX5 but it is under powered with the same 2 liter as the 3. I see Malaysia is getting the 2.5 liter turbo as an option in the CX5 but I am not getting my hopes up that engine makes it to the Thai market.

The Gen 4 Maz3 looks a lot better in the flesh, but of course styling is personal preference. I also like the CX3, my sister has one back home and i have driven it a bit, including long distance but i prefer the lower stance of the Hatch. The CX5 is too big for my use, i have also been thinking of the Camry (i know, different class of car) but even that slightly bigger size over the 3 is putting me off.

It'll be interesting to hear from someone that has driven both the Gen 3 and 4 to see if there is a significant drop in road noise in the cabin, though i still need to drive the Hatch as only drove the Sedan. Seemed certainly much better compared to my Jazz (stating the obvious!). I will reluctantly wait til next year to see if any sign of the Skyactiv-X engine.

IMG_20190918_143138.thumb.jpg.35f0a3be0fe04816de674919d0e4975f.jpgIMG_20190918_143132.thumb.jpg.7a469b96deea3d68d16ce475196dcd88.jpg

There isn't much out there in a compact hatch. They either have less than a 2 liter engine or a CVT or both. The closest is the Mercedes GLA but it starts at 2.1 million baht. If I had the money I'd buy a CLA250. I think their one of the sleekest cars in Thailand.

mercedes-benz-cla-class-cla250-amg-shooting-brake-sport-wagon-thailand.jpg

On 9/5/2019 at 5:13 PM, Percy P said:

You gonna charge your EV with power generated by a coal plant here in Thailand though !!!

That's if the national grid can support more than 8 EVs at a time ????

Archived