‘PM ready’ to take part in parliamentary debate on Sept 18 over oath-taking controversy

snoop1130

14 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I personally believe that if he had any intention whatsoever of actually behaving in the manner of care of the country which the oath swearing required, he wouldn't have had the balls to stand up there and utter the words in the first place. Nothing that came from his mouth would negate the fact he stole an albeit flawed democracy, repressed the slightest dissent, allowed the country's constitution to be shredded to a pile of army manipulated pile of trash, and continues to "govern" something the majority of the country were against.

Sadly politicians here do not have the balls or clout to stop, him, so any debate on missing words he was never going to honour anyway is utterly worthless, but given none of them have anything better or more meaningful to do, let them talk themselves to death.

I don't disagree, but I sometimes wonder if posts and threads like this are part of the reason obscure Immigration laws are being used to harass and even hound some of us out of the country. Chinese and Indian tourists don't give a stuff about any oath of office the PM here took.

Most expats come from countries that have relatively free speech, and we're accustomed to expressing our opinions however strong or unpopular they may be. However, living in this quasi-dictatorship, criticism by members of this (temporary) community can only create bad feelings among the imperious elite.

I'm not suggesting we keep the heads down, mind our business, and just live our lives here without poking the beast. (Perhaps I am suggesting this!)

It is worth remembering that our opinions on the running of this country count somewhere below zero, and the Fake News department is probably monitoring this.

16 hours ago, greeneking said:

Everything that should be debated, it is against the law to talk about

Doesn't apply to MP's during parliamentary session.

Unless lese majeste the MP's are free to open debate, albeit the House Whip will insist on "proper" MP behavior.

19 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I personally believe that if he had any intention whatsoever of actually behaving in the manner of care of the country which the oath swearing required, he wouldn't have had the balls to stand up there and utter the words in the first place. Nothing that came from his mouth would negate the fact he stole an albeit flawed democracy, repressed the slightest dissent, allowed the country's constitution to be shredded to a pile of army manipulated pile of trash, and continues to "govern" something the majority of the country were against.

Sadly politicians here do not have the balls or clout to stop, him, so any debate on missing words he was never going to honour anyway is utterly worthless, but given none of them have anything better or more meaningful to do, let them talk themselves to death.

I think you're missing something.

5 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I don't disagree, but I sometimes wonder if posts and threads like this are part of the reason obscure Immigration laws are being used to harass and even hound some of us out of the country. Chinese and Indian tourists don't give a stuff about any oath of office the PM here took.

Most expats come from countries that have relatively free speech, and we're accustomed to expressing our opinions however strong or unpopular they may be. However, living in this quasi-dictatorship, criticism by members of this (temporary) community can only create bad feelings among the imperious elite.

I'm not suggesting we keep the heads down, mind our business, and just live our lives here without poking the beast. (Perhaps I am suggesting this!)

It is worth remembering that our opinions on the running of this country count somewhere below zero, and the Fake News department is probably monitoring this.

They probably are. And a lot of it probably goes way over their heads. Thais don’t need to be told by foreigners how good or bad they have it. They know from first-hand experience. And social media has given them a platform to talk about it.   If those in power try to take away Facebook, etc, they really will have problems. They have much bigger problems than some foreigners expressing their opinions on an English-language website. 

We’ve always been a necessary evil here in the eyes of those in power. But we are not the only ones having the screws tightened on us. Thais are too. And the government here are far, far more concerned about knowing how the locals feel and what they say online. We’re insignificant. 

Archived