Opponents of 'no-deal' Brexit defeat PM Johnson, who promises an election

webfact

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

As our elected politicians don't want or cant make a decision on a deal to stay in or out or any point in-between it must be time to put this back to the people to revote with the facts including just how much has been spent to get us where we are now to the nearest billion. my guess would be the near enough to end homelessness and foodbanks ???? 

Whereas I support your sentiments, the people cannot DECIDE, only parliament. You could have a referendum every week and not get anywhere.

At this point in time parliament has decided against a no-deal. 

24 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Well according to Remainers, 3 years ago is ancient history and people are allowed to change their minds, right? ????

They certainly are and that is why brexiteers are so opposed to any new vote by the people on brexit. 

1 hour ago, JoePai said:

I have realised the remoaners have been right all along when they say I did not know all the true facts before voting to leave, so I decided to do a little research.

I just voted to leave because I thought our sovereignty was being compromised by foreign unelected masters, and that we were compelled to have unlimited uncontrolled immigration, our laws and export agreements dictated by Brussels bureaucrats, and had to pay eye-watering amounts for the privilege.

I did not know more than 10,000 EU officials get paid more than our prime minister.

I did not know that unlike the UK, 18 countries get more back from the EU than they put in.

I did not know that the EU occupies over 45 buildings 2 of which were purpose built monuments of grandeur and are the largest buildings in Europe.

I did not know that the EU parliament spends 150million Euros a year moving to Strasbourg every month for 4 days committee meetings, any attempt to stop this stupidity is vetoed by France.

I did not know that the EU has had a huge luxury shopping Mall built in Brussels for the exclusive use of EU employees.

I did not know that every day queues of chauffeur driven cars with their engines running, wait outside EU establishments while their occupants go in, sign in for their attendance allowance and expenses, then come straight back out and are driven away.

I did not know that many of them (like the Kinnocks) end up as millionaires as a reward for looking the other way.

I did not know that Clegg was lying when he mocked Nigel Farage for saying that an EU army was being planned.

I did not know that the EU had been financing the mass movement of industries from UK to mainland Europe.

I could go on and on but suffice it to say that I have never for a moment doubted the correctness of my decision, I am so glad that the remoaners prompted me to look deeper into the bureaucratic absurdity of being in the EU.

Have you looked into how much this brexit farce has cost the UK already? not only have 24 banks transferred all or some of their business to Europe but also the insurance industry with 79 billion have upped stakes and are on their way out

2 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Have you looked into how much this brexit farce has cost the UK already? not only have 24 banks transferred all or some of their business to Europe but also the insurance industry with 79 billion have upped stakes and are on their way out

Is that right?  links?

4 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Great news for those who wanted Parliament back in control.

Parliament is sovereign only in the sense that no force outside Britain can tell it what to do. Parliament is not sovereign over the people. The people are sovereign, not Parliament.

4 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

I seem to remember that their entire Brexit campaign was based on a lot of lies about the reality of the situation, which is bad enough in its own right. The leading Brexiteers seem to be such scumbags; Farage, Cummings, FatBoris, etc.

Unlike the lovely Gina Millar, Dom Grieve, Nick Boles, Philip Hammond and the double act Letwin and Cooper.

3 minutes ago, zorrow424 said:

Now now,so insulting...remember <deleted> begin in Calais

Shiht began in the Garden of Eden. ???? This is just the latest version/episode. I doubt that humanity will learn before destroying itself.

3 minutes ago, vogie said:

Unlike the lovely Gina Millar, Dom Grieve, Nick Boles, Philip Hammond and the double act Letwin and Cooper.

My contempt for politicians is beyond my ability to elucidate. You missed Corbyn, Mr. Anti-Semite.

1 hour ago, bannork said:

The consequences of a no deal Brexit are far more frightening than the anger of ill-informed leavers who don't realise how difficult it will be to set up new trading deals post no deal Brexit.

Oh, it will be very easy for Boris to get deals. Take the US for example, Trump says says "here's your deal", Boris says "Thanks, here's the NHS and while you're at it you can have our food safety regulations for free".

Getting a good deal for the UK? Well of course that would be better served by working together with EU negotiators, who have recently demonstrated once again that they have a negotiating team par excellence!

17 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

They certainly are and that is why brexiteers are so opposed to any new vote by the people on brexit. 

I'm all for a General Election, but Parliament will block it because they know most of them would be kicked out by the people they pretend to represent.

33 minutes ago, zorrow424 said:

There was a vote,the majority vote was out. The "dead" bodies will be the ones who did not respect the vote....anything more?

Demographics dear Boy! If we counted the exact same votes from 2016 today and eliminated the dead, the vote would be Remain. 

3 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I'm all for a General Election, but Parliament will block it because they know most of them would be kicked out by the people they pretend to represent.

It will be rejected until "no deal" is off the table, parliamentarians will not give Johnson the opportunity to game the system and engineer a "no deal" Brexit. Then there will be a GE.

6 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Nope. 

A general election will no doubt take place once the no deal doomsday option is off the table. 

That should be sometime later today according to news reports.  

7 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

Oh, it will be very easy for Boris to get deals. Take the US for example, Trump says says "here's your deal", Boris says "Thanks, here's the NHS and while you're at it you can have our food safety regulations for free".

Getting a good deal for the UK? Well of course that would be better served by working together with EU negotiators, who have recently demonstrated once again that they have a negotiating team par excellence!

The US doesn't need a trade deal with the UK; it's the other way around. Trump only helps Trump. That has to be a basic premise to anything involving that turd. Jerk that he is, he knows that the UK is on its knees, sucking his...desperately needing a deal post Brexit (if and when it ever happens). His base instincts will surge to the fore and he'll make Boris swallow all of it, metaphorically speaking, of course. ????

U.S. goods and services trade with United Kingdom totaled an estimated $261.9 billion in 2018. Exports were $140.4 billion; imports were $121.5 billion. The U.S. goods and services trade surplus with United Kingdom was $18.9 billion in 2018.

United Kingdom is currently our 7th largest goods trading partner with $127.1 billion in total (two way) goods trade during 2018. Goods exports totaled $66.3 billion; goods imports totaled $60.8 billion. The U.S. goods trade surplus with United Kingdom was $5.5 billion in 2018.

Trade in services with United Kingdom (exports and imports) totaled an estimated $134.8 billion in 2018. Services exports were $74.1 billion; services imports were $60.7 billion. The U.S. services trade surplus with United Kingdom was $13.3 billion in 2018.

According to the Department of Commerce, U.S. exports of Goods and Services to United Kingdom supported an estimated 665 thousand jobs in 2015 (latest data available) (238 thousand supported by goods exports and 427 thousand supported by services exports).

12 minutes ago, Topdoc said:

Parliament is sovereign only in the sense that no force outside Britain can tell it what to do. Parliament is not sovereign over the people. The people are sovereign, not Parliament.

The constitution is based on a consent to rule by the people.

The people spoke in 2016 and they must be heard.

Plenty on here who have spent too much time in Thailand where constitutions are ripped up on a regular basis.

Remainers are traitors, pure and simple

Just now, GalaxyMan said:

The US doesn't need a trade deal with the UK; it's the other way around. Trump only helps Trump. That has to be a basic premise to anything involving that turd. Jerk that he is, he knows that the UK is on its knees, sucking his...desperately needing a deal post Brexit (if and when it ever happens). His base instincts will surge to the fore and he'll make Boris swallow all of it, metaphorically speaking, of course.

U.S. goods and services trade with United Kingdom totaled an estimated $261.9 billion in 2018. Exports were $140.4 billion; imports were $121.5 billion. The U.S. goods and services trade surplus with United Kingdom was $18.9 billion in 2018.

United Kingdom is currently our 7th largest goods trading partner with $127.1 billion in total (two way) goods trade during 2018. Goods exports totaled $66.3 billion; goods imports totaled $60.8 billion. The U.S. goods trade surplus with United Kingdom was $5.5 billion in 2018.

Trade in services with United Kingdom (exports and imports) totaled an estimated $134.8 billion in 2018. Services exports were $74.1 billion; services imports were $60.7 billion. The U.S. services trade surplus with United Kingdom was $13.3 billion in 2018.

According to the Department of Commerce, U.S. exports of Goods and Services to United Kingdom supported an estimated 665 thousand jobs in 2015 (latest data available) (238 thousand supported by goods exports and 427 thousand supported by services exports).

Countries don't need a trade deal to trade, duh!

2 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Plenty on here who have spent too much time in Thailand where constitutions are ripped up on a regular basis.

No. People who put their country before party by rejecting a suicidal no deal are heroes. 

2 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

What constitution?

The result of the non-binding, advisory referendum has been heard.

2 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

It will be rejected until "no deal" is off the table, parliamentarians will not give Johnson the opportunity to game the system and engineer a "no deal" Brexit. Then there will be a GE.

You mean, "engineer" a No Deal Brexit by getting a massive majority for a No Deal Brexit from the electorate? 

You wanted a vote, and now you're admitting you'd get hammered in a General Election by a Pro Leave party ????. I'd say your democratic mask is slipping, except it's already dropped to the floor.

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Nope. 

A general election will no doubt take place once the no deal doomsday option is off the table. 

That should be sometime later today according to news reports.  

Not so fast. There are 90 amendments that will each take an hour to deal with ++ 

Filly buster them to death I say!

Boris technically can advise the Queen to withhold the Royal ascent too.

That's entering dangerous territories though

Archived