To US expats - Registration with Medicare at age 65

smo

18 hours ago, mrwebb8825 said:

A question along the retirement lines of this conversation: Once I file for and start receiving SS, do I also need to start filing tax returns again? If so, are there any possible benefits for being in the "Extremely Poor" (Poverty Level, even if I was living in the states) that I could claim?

A little background before anyone wants to swear I should have been filing or was required by law to file the whole time I've been living here; Mt sister worked for H&R Block before I moved here and 2 yrs after I moved here she told me I didn't need to file anymore because I didn't make enough money and couldn't claim tax credits since I didn't live in the states. That was back in 2004/2005 iirc. Had some concerns after reading a few topics and asked the Manila office and had their answer verified by a tax consultant that I indeed did not need to file for the last 15/16 yrs.

So back to the original question; Does receiving SS Retirement benefit mean I have to start filing again every yr?

I would ALWAYS file a tax return.  The reason is it closes things out and documents your income in a single place.  You will find when you retire that many USA state agencies and other places want to know what your last year's income was.  Now maybe you made less than $10,000 and are single and technically do not need to file a tax return.  That is your choice.  But we just went through several issues with my old Mom who despite my warnings does NOT file a tax return every year.  Her only income is a little social security and she does not have to file.  But it was awkward at best to convince State help agencies that she had low or no income, just because she did not file!

• Like 2
On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 8:00 PM, Sheryl said:

I really don't follow your reasoning hete.

If your concern is to meet O-A visa requirements, relying on Medicare in US is not an option.

If your concern is to adequately insured then no need to pay any attention to these substandard loval policies; get a decent expat policy. You can get excellent cover for around $3000 a year if under age 70-75, $4,000-ish if over 75. In addition to insuring care on the spot here in Thailand, this is less expensive than care under Medicare is apt to be taking deductibles and copays 1into account.

Heart attack, stroke, major accident...in none of these is flying back to the US a feasible option.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

As I said there is risk.  And it is far from clear how to get a policy that is not on that tgia website "approved" . 

I believe I said above that Medicare doesn't mail stuff outside the US any longer.

Well, I enrolled on mymedicare.gov a couple of weeks ago, and today received a letter in the mail confirming my enrollment. So at least sometimes they still do mail stuff overseas.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2019 at 11:08 PM, gk10002000 said:

I would ALWAYS file a tax return.  The reason is it closes things out and documents your income in a single place.  You will find when you retire that many USA state agencies and other places want to know what your last year's income was.  Now maybe you made less than $10,000 and are single and technically do not need to file a tax return.  That is your choice.  But we just went through several issues with my old Mom who despite my warnings does NOT file a tax return every year.  Her only income is a little social security and she does not have to file.  But it was awkward at best to convince State help agencies that she had low or no income, just because she did not file!

I have lived in Thailand for the last 18 yrs and will eventually die here so doubt I'll ever need a state run agency service. My DL from OR. expired 15 yrs ago so have no connection to any state atm.

31 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

I have lived in Thailand for the last 18 yrs and will eventually die here so doubt I'll ever need a state run agency service. My DL from OR. expired 15 yrs ago so have no connection to any state atm.

Been here 13 years and never filed a tax return. I was told by the IRS that if I didn't need to pay any taxes NOT to file a tax return as it wastes their time. I still have stateside bank accounts, a valid Washington license and visit the local VA Hospital when ever I am stateside and never had a problem.

On 10/16/2019 at 8:23 PM, Sheryl said:

Social security payments are fully taxable.

If you owe tax, or had witholding that you want to claim refund on, you have to file

If you do nto owe any tax you are not as I unedrstand it required to file a retrun

but unless your SS payments are really low, you will owe something on them

Low by American standards and low by Thailand standards as an American citizen are miles apart. 

Living in the states I meet these standards based on filing in 2019:

"For single dependents who are under the age of 65 and not blind, you generally must file a federal income tax return if your unearned income (such as from ordinary dividends or taxable interest) was more than $1,050 or if your earned income (such as from wages or salary) was more than $12,000."

What is confusing is this from the IRS website:

"If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien, the rules for filing income, estate, and gift tax returns and paying estimated tax are generally the same whether you are in the United States or abroad. Your worldwide income is subject to U.S. income tax, regardless of where you reside."

It used to be back when my sister, working for H&R Block in 2004, told me I didn't need to file any more and when I rechecked with the SS office in Manila last yr or so they told the same thing and when I triple checked 4-5 months ago with a tax consultant here in BKK was also told I didn't need to file as my income as no where near high enough to need to file as an expat. (Was something like $115,000 back in 2004)

On that same IRS.gov website there's an amnesty clause for the great unwashed (uninformed/misinformed)

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/us-citizens-and-resident-aliens-abroad

Now, IF I were to be paying federal taxes they would be still taking SS tax which part of would be paying for Part A of Medicare which they claim I can't have. If I can't have then why the heck would I need to be still paying for it?

If you're going to say it would raise my monthly income when I file for retirement keep in mind that 18yrs of Thai income would have more than likely (unsure) reduced my monthly payment because it is around 1/10 of what I was earning my last working quarter in the states. (I didn't move here for the money ???? )

Edited by mrwebb8825
12 minutes ago, Rdrokit said:

Been here 13 years and never filed a tax return. I was told by the IRS that if I didn't need to pay any taxes NOT to file a tax return as it wastes their time. I still have stateside bank accounts, a valid Washington license and visit the local VA Hospital when ever I am stateside and never had a problem.

I've never had a problem except being crapped on by the military for my service but looking into that. I'm just doing the research to make sure that when I draw income from the states again in the form of retirement (my money that they have been trying to spend for me) that I won't have any problems in the future either. ????

1 hour ago, mrwebb8825 said:

1 hour ago, Rdrokit said:

you never had to file a tax return?  Your income was always below the required limits?  Normally that would not be a very large amount.  yet you still lived on it?  I guess it is possible you could be working and earning money in Thailand and that income could fall under the foreign income exclusion.  But, I thought some of your earnings would still be liable for social security taxes and you are supposed to file the paperwork and send some many that way?

Edited by gk10002000
46 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

you never had to file a tax return?  Your income was always below the required limits?  Normally that would not be a very large amount.  yet you still lived on it?  I guess it is possible you could be working and earning money in Thailand and that income could fall under the foreign income exclusion.  But, I thought some of your earnings would still be liable for social security taxes and you are supposed to file the paperwork and send some many that way?

I collect SS and a small pension from my old company plus I am 100% disabled veteran so my disability pension is no nontaxable. I am always under the pay tax threshold.

• Like 1

"Now, IF I were to be paying federal taxes they would be still taking SS tax which part of would be paying for Part A of Medicare which they claim I can't have."

If you have earnings from self-employment overseas, you have to pay Social Security Self-Employment tax on the same basis as if you were in the States. And you have to file Form 1040 (and pay any Self-Employment tax due) if you have self-employment earnings of $400 or more during the year, even if you have not a dime of any other income.

See Chart C, page 11 of the 1040 Instructions.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040gi.pdf

• 1 year later...