Extending pub opening hours will just lead to more crime and mayhem - think again Phiphat!

webfact

Extending pub opening hours will just lead to more crime and mayhem - think again Phiphat! 

10pm.jpg
Picture: Drama-Addict

Top fan page Drama-Addict has come out against tourism minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn's plan to extend pub opening hours from 2 am to 4 am. 

Phiphat thinks that the move will stimulate the economy by 25%.

Drama-Addict thinks it will just lead to more fighting and crime over a longer period at night.

They said that if the minister presses on with his plan then he should help the doctor's and nurses in ER that will have to deal with the consequences. 

They published a grisly picture of an operating theater covered in blood. 

Backing up their view they said that 43.36% of the Thai public out of 1,257 asked in a Nida Poll rejected the changes. 

People cited annoyance for people living near pubs and clubs, more crime and no economic benefit.

They said that the minister should think of something else to stimulate the economy and tourist sector.

Source: News mThai

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-09-04

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FIRSTLY , what a disgusting photo, yes and 99% of the crime is done by THAIS not people on holiday and ex pats who live here. many tourists are use to late night opening in their country, and that is rubbish to say more fighting,  see then streaming out at 2 am in all the bars in bangkok, if it brings in more money for ISAN i say good job. talk about dead. i popped up to Bamngkok the weekend, i was the only guy in what use to be a busy bar. 2 am all the shutters came down. there must be a need as all the pavement bars pop up, and great atmosphere, no one fighting as one would like to make out, just people enjoying themselves

Whether or not it would lead to more crime remains uncertain. What is certain is that it will do nothing for tourism. The Chinese and Indians have little interest and you have pushed most of the Westerners away. They are not coming back. Word is already out there, that they are not welcome, and once spurned, now gone. For good. Too many alternatives. 

Thailand really thought they were the center of the universe. They really thought nobody could resist it's incredible charms. 

Pretty easy for most Westerners to  resist now. The Golden goose has left the building. Live with what you sow.

Ten years of indifference, lethargy, hostility, gross incompetence, open hatred of foreigners by the administration and immigration, has come at a very high cost. Live with it. 

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Phiphat thinks that the move will stimulate the economy by 25%

Phiphat is just flying a kite so he and the missus (who also happens to be the richest MP in parliament) can get a free trip to Europe to research the idea. 

5 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

Phiphat is just flying a kite so he and the missus (who also happens to be the richest MP in parliament) can get a free trip to Europe to research the idea. 

So where is this Phipahts evidence of a 25% improvement in the economy. All made up ideas and words like all Thai govt decisions. If he has proof then table it and there is no need to go to Italy to find more evidence. Obviously a nice Italian bar is nothing like Pattaya's equivalent. If he wants a Thai equivalent there are some in the Philippines, start with Olongapo

Keeping bars open in certain areas could help tourism a bit, but in a country that is notorious for not being able to enforce laws, I could see this creeping out in to other areas. Drunk driving and alcohol fuelled violence are a real issue, so I think serious thought has to be given as to whether the Gov/Police can really manage these extended hours and thus avoid the potential carnage it could cause.

19 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Whether or not it would lead to more crime remains uncertain. What is certain is that it will do nothing for tourism. The Chinese and Indians have little interest and you have pushed most of the Westerners away. They are not coming back. Word is already out there, that they are not welcome, and once spurned, now gone. For good. Too many alternatives. 

Thailand really thought they were the center of the universe. They really thought nobody could resist it's incredible charms. 

Pretty easy for most Westerners to  resist now. The Golden goose has left the building. Live with what you sow.

Ten years of indifference, lethargy, hostility, gross incompetence, open hatred of foreigners by the administration and immigration, has come at a very high cost. Live with it. 

A lot of truth to what you say, but they should start to try to mend fences even with their own population.  Will longer hours help bring disparaged, unwelcome faranges back?  No.   Much more is needed, but is a start.  Neighboring countries have all next bars, and they do just fine.  Thailand may want to ask itself why is everything so hard here.  Vietnam is where I like going now as do many others.  Much more positive feel.

When I first moved here in 2005, Bars were open all hours. Then they were throttled back to 0100. It did not stop them from staying open past closing time. The ones who want the later hours are the ones making money already. Leave the hours alone. If you can't get your drunk on by 0100, you need to step up your game.

12 minutes ago, Cobby said:

Why are the government thinking to open bars later 

Indians and Chinese do not us the bars 

so it will not make any difference 

pure stupidity

????????????????

Nothing to do with Chinese or Indians. More to do with the RTP ownership or shareholding in the bars and clubs. They need the longer hours to compensate for the drop in farang customers and revenue. The mia nois must be maintained.

16 minutes ago, Katipo said:

Keeping bars open in certain areas could help tourism a bit, but in a country that is notorious for not being able to enforce laws, I could see this creeping out in to other areas. Drunk driving and alcohol fuelled violence are a real issue, so I think serious thought has to be given as to whether the Gov/Police can really manage these extended hours and thus avoid the potential carnage it could cause.

You are right but any Thai that wants to can already find a place for a late beer wherever in the country they happen to be.

41 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Money matters more hear than death and disruption.

Money matters more anywhere than death and disruption - where you been, Mars?

4 am opening is fine it's good for the economy and the people.

Extending pub opening hours to arrest the decline AND boost tourism is yet another daft idea in the long, long list of stupid ideas from the muppets running this country. Thailand, face the facts. You've had it, where tourism is concerned. You drove tourists away with your scams, illegal shakedowns, lack of tourist safety, open display of xenophobia and disdain for foreigners and general (but unfounded) sense of superiority over everyone and everything. And those who have gone, aren't coming back, not with so many better alternatives coming up. And you think this is just a rant limited to TVF members? Word is already out. And this numpty of a minister finds it necessary to go on an inconsequential pub crawl in Italy. As I have always said, for a society that is huge on saving and keeping face, it is confounding to note how they go to great lengths to lose it!

The last one to leave the room, please turn off the lights.

1 hour ago, mercman24 said:

FIRSTLY , what a disgusting photo, yes and 99% of the crime is done by THAIS not people on holiday and ex pats who live here. many tourists are use to late night opening in their country, and that is rubbish to say more fighting,  see then streaming out at 2 am in all the bars in bangkok, if it brings in more money for ISAN i say good job. talk about dead. i popped up to Bamngkok the weekend, i was the only guy in what use to be a busy bar. 2 am all the shutters came down. there must be a need as all the pavement bars pop up, and great atmosphere, no one fighting as one would like to make out, just people enjoying themselves

'99% of crime by thais'

To paraphrase vic reeves...80% of statistics are made up on the spot.

100% for an excellent effort in demonization. 

31 minutes ago, legend49 said:

So where is this Phipahts evidence of a 25% improvement in the economy. All made up ideas and words like all Thai govt decisions. If he has proof then table it and there is no need to go to Italy to find more evidence. Obviously a nice Italian bar is nothing like Pattaya's equivalent. If he wants a Thai equivalent there are some in the Philippines, start with Olongapo

Ah, Olongapo - what memories. Subic Bay US Naval Base, 1960 - 1970s.

Visited there a few times - courtesy Royal Navy -3 different ships - closed now I believe.......

Such good times - the wooden sidewalks, the steamy packed bars, (Bat-wing doors as well), the small crocodles in the pond under the bridge that was the entrance and exit to the Naval Base, the US 'sheriff' in the PX, Gin Collins and mixing with the Yank sailors - swapping their zippo lightersfor RN "Blue Liner" cigarettes - hands across the sea and all that.

OMG - where was I? No, No, No - don't let him go there - anything left will be junterised!

geez louise!! first off, dictating that bars close at 2AM is silly, dictating what hours alcohol can be sold in stores is childish, and thinking that 4AM closings will save the bar businesses is naive.

How about move that minister (who declared that schoolgirls should not wear short skirts and children should not fight) into the position of minister of tourism. He could dictate that all bars must close at 11pm, limit the number of drinks that can be sold per customer, and ban skirts and any attractive dress for the women. If he isn't sure it that will bring society to heel, he can take an exploratory roadtrip to Saudia Arabia or Iran or similar. Don't forget the mandatory burkas.

I was at Saxophone Bar in Bangkok for the first time in a long time at the weekend. I ordered a Hoegaarden for 250 baht assuming it would be a pint. Not only was it not a pint (it was a half) the 250 baht on the menu didn't include the service charge. Oh, and a pint of Hoegaarden in there is 500 plus service charge. 

At today's rate, that's over 13 quid for a pint. The service wasn't anything to write home about and the second band that played were not playing jazz, etc. They were singing stuff like Ronan Keating. There were seemingly a lot of tourists in there. 

I remember the days of 60 baht for a bottle of beer downtown. Packed full of tourists having a great time. Now it feels very, very different. It's simply awful value for money wherever I seem to go that caters for tourists and/or expats. 

I am not sure it'll cause mayhem at all. In central Bangkok I know of at least 5 - 10 places that stay open past 2am. If this law is passed, it won't be like every bar will suddenly stay open and hordes of people will be roaming Sukhumvit or Silom at 3am. 

On one of my last big sessions out with some mates earlier on in the year we were in Penny Blacks until 7am and it showed no signs of closing when we left. These places are widely available as they pay off the cops. 

Phiphat somehow thinks he has stumbled upon some new initiative, however this idea won't suddenly stimulate the tourism economy. Just because a few people can legally stay in a bar having a few more beers past 2am will make very little difference to most of the people either living or on holiday here. 

As for the rich Indians and much loved Chinese tourists, most of those don't go out frequenting bars anywhere near that time. 

I have lived 12 years in chiang mai. I go to the bars 3 to 4 times a week. I have never, never, never seen a flight.  NEVER even when bars were opened until 4am.

I have no idea about road accidents from 12 to1am, 1 to 2am, etc

How about doing a lockout time like in Sydney, if your not in a pub/club/establishment serving alcohol by 1am, your out of luck, patrons already in can remain until they close, usually 3-4am, it has reduced the amount of people being injured for their own good, and those places still make a killing so to speak.

Ooops forgot where I was for a minute, it will never work as no one will enforce it, just means more under the table money for those working the area command.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

and pathological nationalism.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Phiphat thinks that the move will stimulate the economy by 25%.

The GDP of thailand is about 450 billion usd, so leaving bars open an additional 2 hours will stimulate this to about 560 billion dollars?

Maybe he should show where that 110 billion usd per year will come from.

Archived