Watch out for the Chinese!

Genmai

Was shopping last week at Tops in Central Festival. Only thing I needed was a bottle of milk, so went to the quick aisle. A lone Chinese woman was standing behind me in the queue. Eventually got to the cashier, handed her the milk and then walked to the end to pop up my canvas shopping bag. She scanned it in, helped me put it in the bag, turned to her screen, changed her expression and called over a supervisor. On the screen were 3 items. I assumed it must have been an error but she told me it was the Chinese woman behind me. Looked behind me and she was gone! Amazing as she must have had no more than 2-3 seconds to reach over, scan her goods into my bill and take off. From the expressions of the staff it seemed like a common occurrence. Easy to spot when you're just buying one thing but if there were more items I would have missed it for sure!

So watch your bills everyone. That particular Tops is always crawling with Chinese.

Wow. I wonder how that would actually benefit the Chinese lady.

I mean, after she surreptitiously barcodes her items, does she shove them forward into the bagging section, right under the nose of the cashier?

Wouldn't the cashier hear the beeps? Wouldn't she notice the two mysterious new items and set them aside?

How could the thief claim them as paid, even if they had been paid for by the previous customer, if she herself has not yet paid anything and does not have the receipt?

Perhaps the idea is that the cashier will somehow not notice the beeps, or the items now lying in the bagging area, but surely it would be easier, safer, and more straightforward for the Chinese lady to simply shoplift the items the old-fashioned way.

Once again, I would like to congratulate the Thai government on their ongoing campaign to eliminate Western tourism, organically grown over 50 years, and replace it with fresh, new, high-quality tourism from China and India.

Doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps the cashier scanned the items of the Chinese woman by accident.. After this the Chinese woman might have discovered that she forgot something to buy and walked back to continue shopping.

Beware of the Thais. They are never guilty. At least it was like this with my ex girlfriend. She would have been a great lawyer. 

Archived