Working on reentry .marriage Visa?

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Can one work if getting one of those marriage visas from Savannaaket where you have to leave the country every 3 months?

Yes. As long as you provide proof that you’re married to a Thai to the labour office, you can apply for a work permit and work with a Non O visa.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies. As I'm  being asked to put 400,000 onto my bank, I have the option to go to Savanaket and get a Visa, which requires no cash in the bank?

Could I get this 3 weeks  before my work extension finishes, giving me time to sort out the new WP?

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Thanks for the replies. As I'm  being asked to put 400,000 onto my bank, I have the option to go to Savanaket and get a Visa, which requires no cash in the bank?

As it stands, yes.

Could I get this 3 weeks  before my work extension finishes, giving me time to sort out the new WP?

Yes. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Neeranam said:

But your pending application for Thai nationality will end as soon as you stop getting extensions of stay. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Why no go on income from your work? just as much hassle for a marriage extension

9 hours ago, jumbo said:

Why no go on income from your work? just as much hassle for a marriage extension

I plan to get a marriage based on my income  of over 40k month, will have to ask to see the boss, or maybe use an agent. Any idea how long an agent takes to get a marriage Visa? With a marriage  it will hopefully be easier to get a new WP, without leaving he country. 

10 hours ago, jumbo said:

No way. Especially if he's thinking of teaching which O extension is great to teach on.

Money in bank is simple. Why people have to make life complicated?

Teaching on O visa you need to do visa runs. This might not be ok with the school.

Edited by Number 6

I plan to get a marriage based on my income  of over 40k month, will have to ask to see the boss, or maybe use an agent. Any idea how long an agent takes to get a marriage Visa? With a marriage  it will hopefully be easier to get a new WP, without leaving he country. 

Your life will come to a dead stop the day you quit work.

You must report to immigration. You'll be cancelled and need to leave immediately. Even hitting the border 24 hours after you may get fined.

If you're working for a school it's an additional nightmare requiring release forms that can take weeks. You can't leave without them. You can't work again without properly releasing your visa. Then there's the WP...

It's not really any more difficult with an O visa for WP but they'll want to see your marriage license, her ID and housebook (I think).

Edited by Number 6

On 9/5/2019 at 6:23 PM, Number 6 said:

Your life will come to a dead stop the day you quit work.

You must report to immigration. You'll be cancelled and need to leave immediately. Even hitting the border 24 hours after you may get fined.

I don't need to leave the  country if I get a marriage extension. I don't plan to stop working. 

If I go with the work extension,,  I can get an extension for 7 days to get the new work permit.

6 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I don't need to leave the  country if I get a marriage extension. I don't plan to stop working. 

If I go with the work extension,,  I can get an extension for 7 days to get the new work permit.

No you don't. BUT if you link your marriage O visa to work not your wife this will happen. Using work docs and salary as opposed to money in bank. I'm almost certain in this regard is functions as a B visa. Lose your job or quit, the financial backstop gone. 

58 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

No you don't. BUT if you link your marriage O visa to work not your wife this will happen. Using work docs and salary as opposed to money in bank. I'm almost certain in this regard is functions as a B visa. Lose your job or quit, the financial backstop gone. 

You can get a WP on a multi O visa or an extension of stay based on being married.

A B visa is not required.

The labour office decide, not Immigration and not your employer.

9 minutes ago, overherebc said:

You can get a WP on a multi O visa or an extension of stay based on being married.

A B visa is not required.

The labour office decide, not Immigration and not your employer.

You've missed my point. When you apply for a marriage extension - three options: income outside (I think this is dead), 400k in bank AND employer salary (40k pm). If you leave your job and you are on the salary option I'm certain your extension will void. It must. So, in effect it *functions as a B extension* in that regard.

A marriage VISA will not be void.

Just put the 400k in the bank and you'll be fine

Labor will issue wp on O and B (of course) visas and extensions.

Edited by Number 6

22 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

You've missed my point. When you apply for a marriage extension - three options: income outside (I think this is dead), 400k in bank AND employer salary (40k pm). If you leave your job and you are on the salary option I'm certain your extension will void. It must. So, in effect it *functions as a B extension* in that regard.

A marriage VISA will not be void.

Just put the 400k in the bank and you'll be fine

Labor will issue wp on O and B (of course) visas and extensions.

An extension based on marraige will stay valid as well. Some companies will tell you it doesn't. That doesn't mean they are correct. Finish work, hand your WP back to the labour office and go looking for another job.

Edited by overherebc

19 minutes ago, overherebc said:

An extension based on marraige will stay valid as well. Some companies will tell you it doesn't. That doesn't mean they are correct. Finnish work, hand your WP back to the labour office and go looking for another job.

Finish work? If you're working why would the wp cancel? If working why would extension on salary be void???

You are required to return your wp when employment ends. Some businesses will keep it open and allow you to exit Thailand at your leisure. This is not technically legal but is done.

Again, while I admit I am wholly uncertain. It very much stands to reason that without the salary of 40k pm incoming immigration would consider the extension invalid regardless of employment. 

As there is no post check, you might be ok but if the following year or next employer immigration needs something like letter of termination from employer OR letter from school date employment terminated or photocopy of submission of wp to MoL you're goose is cooked perhaps. Could be fined heavily and even blacklisted. There is lots of complicated paperwork to unwind from a school if departing before end of contract. This is very SoP for immigration req from schools.

There is another issue. Logistics. While schools can and will process you on O extension with banked money. I seriously doubt any have done this for salary. Further, given the option of school just doing a B visa extension instead of all that drama the admin doesn't know of - they will do the B. Most schools never process Of extension but many will yet I believe there is a limit to their willingness of the hassle.

Finally, if you are teaching and usually teachers jump jobs. If you plan to employ this as an employment strategy that is using salary instead of banked money you will find a very, very limited amount of schools that will do this for you.

If you work on a O VISA you'll have to make visa runs on the weekends which is very tiring. 

Edited by Number 6

18 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Finish work? If you're working why would the wp cancel? If working why would extension on salary be void???

You are required to return your wp when employment ends. Some businesses will keep it open and allow you to exit Thailand at your leisure. This is not technically legal but is done.

Again, while I admit I am wholly uncertain. It very much stands to reason that without the salary of 40k pm incoming immigration would consider the extension invalid regardless of employment. 

There is another issue. Logistics. While schools can and will process you on O extension with banked money. I seriously doubt any have done this for salary. Further, given the option of school just doing a B visa extension instead of all that drama the admin doesn't know of - they will do the B. Most schools never process Of extension but many will yet I believe there is a limit to their willingness of the hassle.

Finally, if you are teaching and usually teachers jump jobs. If you plan to employ this as an employment strategy that is using salary instead of banked money you will find a very, very limited amount of schools that will do this for you.

If you work on a O VISA you'll have to make visa runs on the weekends which is very tiring. 

If you have an extension based on being married you can start work, finish work any time you feel like it ( with a WP of course ) and immigration will accept your 90 day reports happily.. 90 day reports on an O extension don't require you to show income or WP.

Too many people listen to school's rules on many things that are generally wrong or stated by the school to make you believe they have some sort of power over you and your stay in Thailand.

If a couple from uk arrive in Thailand and both are over 50, he puts 800,000 in the bank and his wife gets a piggy back extension and then starts teaching do you believe Immigration will cancel her extension if she resigns after 3 months.

We are talking about extensions based on being married. Married status stays the same working or not.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, overherebc said:

If a couple from uk arrive in Thailand and both are over 50, he puts 800,000 in the bank and his wife gets a piggy back extension and then starts teaching do you believe Immigration will cancel her extension if she resigns after 3 months.

She cant be working, 800k in the bank etc is a retire visa, neither party can work.

If husband and wife are both from UK, they dont qualify for a "married to Thai" visa or extension.

29 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

She cant be working, 800k in the bank etc is a retire visa, neither party can work.

If husband and wife are both from UK, they dont qualify for a "married to Thai" visa or extension.

In some areas they don't stamp 'no work allowed' and the labour office will issue a WP. Rare but it does happen.

Anyway.

To the OP.

If you have a multi entry O visa you can work no problem. When you start work your visa status remains the same. 90 day out/ins. When you finish work your visa status remains the same. You keep the visa and no one can cancel it.

If you have a single 90 day O and you want to start work the extension will not be based on being married but on working

( 40,000 a month ) so will end with your work.

If you already have a one year extension based on being married ( 400,000 in the bank ) you can get a WP and if you stop work you keep the extension because it's based on being married not work.

Edited by overherebc

4 hours ago, Number 6 said:

You've missed my point. When you apply for a marriage extension - three options: income outside (I think this is dead), 400k in bank AND employer salary (40k pm). 

Who told you this?

I want to apply for a Visa extension based on marriage and have a monthly income of over 100k  coming from abroad. I know someone that did this last month.

Are you saying that now they want the 400k AND 40 k a month? Which immigration office?

4 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Pretty sure wife gets an O extension. In tbe case where he is 55 and she is 45 she can't be on retirement.

18 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Who told you this?

I want to apply for a Visa extension based on marriage and have a monthly income of over 100k  coming from abroad. I know someone that did this last month.

Are you saying that now they want the 400k AND 40 k a month? Which immigration office?

Number 6 is mistaken.

For an extension based on marriage the financial requirements are;

1. 400K THB deposited in a Thai bank for 2 months prior to the date of application.

2. An Embassy Income letter.

3. 40K THB per month transferred into a Thai bank from overseas.

Some expats have experience issues with their Immigration offices this year, due to the change in orders accepting proof of monthly incomes deposited in a Thai bank.

Some IO's haven't conformed to showing leniency this year and others are confused over what proof constitutes a foreign International transfer.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Pretty sure wife gets an O extension. In tbe case where he is 55 and she is 45 she can't be on retirement.

Yes, something like that but still cant work either way.

20 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Why not?

You cant work on any visa or extension unless its a B visa or a marriage visa/extension. A marriage visa/extension is married to a Thai, not foreigners married to each other.

You cant work on a retire visa/extension, partner of a retire visa/extension, 

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1