Working on reentry .marriage Visa?

16 minutes ago, overherebc said:

So convert to one based on salary then when you finish work convert back.

Perhaps you could provide a 'link' to this conversion process you claim, allowing the foreign wife piggybacking her foreign husbands extension based on retirement, that allows her to legally work.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Number 6 is mistaken.

For an extension based on marriage the financial requirements are;

1. 400K THB deposited in a Thai bank for 2 months prior to the date of application.

2. An Embassy Income letter.

3. 40K THB per month transferred into a Thai bank from overseas.

Some expats have experience issues with their Immigration offices this year, due to the change in orders accepting proof of monthly incomes deposited in a Thai bank.

Some IO's haven't conformed to showing leniency this year and others are confused over what proof constitutes a foreign International transfer.

Thanks for confirming. 

6 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Who told you this?

I want to apply for a Visa extension based on marriage and have a monthly income of over 100k  coming from abroad. I know someone that did this last month.

Are you saying that now they want the 400k AND 40 k a month? Which immigration office?

No. I'm not saying that at all.

My point is that if your visa is based on salary and you quit or are fired I would expect that the extension is void at that time.

So the common wisdom of this thread dictates the following:

If you are on a marriage extension and you are using salary. If your job terminates your extension LEGALLY does not.

I believe an extension based on marriage using salary IO would terminate if they are aware.

Further, if they require any paperwork such in the case of schools (perhaps other employment?) to issue renew the extension (employer differs).

The IO looking at the letter from school or employer termination or the paper you file to cancel your WP. The paper will show your job terminated xx weeks prior. I think that's a hornet's nest and you might find yourself on overstay as you possibly should have reported when your job ended, cancel extension and leave or reapply.

It's not the normal 400k in the bank walk away from your job scenario because you have money banked. The method proposed is entirely based on future income promised.

Many of you seem to be stating that after receiving the extension, you're gold for a year. So if you were fired second month into your job - the extension based on salary remain valid for the next ten months. I doubt that.

Edited by Number 6

25 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

So the common wisdom of this thread dictates the following:

If you are on a marriage extension and you are using salary. If your job terminates your extension LEGALLY does not.

I believe an extension based on marriage using salary IO would terminate if they are aware.

Further, if they require any paperwork such in the case of schools (perhaps other employment?) to issue renew the extension (employer differs).

The IO looking at the letter from school or employer termination or the paper you file to cancel your WP. The paper will show your job terminated xx weeks prior. I think that's a hornet's nest and you might find yourself on overstay as you possibly should have reported when your job ended, cancel extension and leave or reapply.

It's not the normal 400k in the bank walk away from your job scenario because you have money banked. The method proposed is entirely based on future income promised.

Its an extension based on showing 40k a month income for the "past" twelve months and the source (overseas pension or thai wages etc). The same as any other money shown to immigration, its always the past 12 months of income.

A marriage extension is issued because you are married to a Thai "not" because you have a job, its not dependant on having a job. So long as you replaced the 40k wages with a 40k pension or a 400k deposit before next years extension , you would get another extension, next year when they check. You could show 6 months income from a Thai job then 6 months income from another source.

A B visa is subject to having a job, if you loose your job, you loose your WP and loose your visa.

You dont cancel a WP at immigration, and they wouldn't care less as the marriage visa is based on marriage.

Edited by Peterw42

9 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Its an extension based on showing 40k a month income for the "past" twelve months and the source (overseas pension or thai wages). The same as any other money shown to immigration, its always the past 12 months of income.

A marriage extension is issued because you are married to a Thai "not" because you have a job, its not dependant on having a job. So long as you replaced the 40k wages with a 40k pension or a 400k deposit before next years extension , you would get another extension, next year when they check. You could show 6 months income from a Thai job then 6 months income from another source.

A B visa is subject to having a job, if you loose your job, you loose your WP and loose your visa.

On a multi B visa you keep your visa. If you enter on a single, start work and convert to an extension and your job finishes your extension will be cancelled.

18 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Its an extension based on showing 40k a month income for the "past" twelve months and the source (overseas pension or thai wages). The same as any other money shown to immigration, its always the past 12 months of income.

Understood and stand somewhat corrected as I was unaware that it's about general income of 40k incoming as opposed to a job. Of course this method for retirees is all but dead now. No idea about married but whatever.

So what if that income method is based on a domestic Thai corporation, a law firm perhaps? A school? That particular source of income and salary gone. Are you also stating that one can just plunk down 40k in the bank and that would be legal and IO would have no issues with that?

EDIT I just checked Siam legal and it states 40k monthly deposit in general terms. I'm too lazy to dig out my immigration checklist but could swear it has a separate criteria for docs, employment in Thailand.

So the question, what if that 40k is generated within Thailand?

Edited by Number 6

2 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Understood and stand somewhat corrected as I was unaware that it's about general income of 40k incoming as opposed to a job.

So what if that income method is based on a domestic Thai corporation, a law firm perhaps? A school? That particular source of income and salary gone. Are you also stating that one can just plunk down 40k in the bank and that would be legal and IO would have no issues with that?

I use the 400k so not up to date on the 40k requirements, I think if its not Thai wages, it needs to be from outside thailand, pension etc.

Otherwise you could just recycle the same 40k each month, out of the ATM and back into the bank.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I use the 400k so not up to date on the 40k requirements, I think if its not Thai wages, it needs to be from outside thailand, pension etc.

Otherwise you could just recycle the same 40k each month, out of the ATM and back into the bank.

I also use 400k. I mean it's only 400k crikey.

Obviously. But I'm almost absolutely certain that you can do a marriage extension using 40k domestic income and that has been one of my points all along

Edited by Number 6

7 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Obviously. But I'm almost absolutely certain that you can do a marriage extension using 40k domestic income and that has been one of my points all along

Only 400k, it still hurts when I bring it over at 20 baht to the Australian dollar, lol

1 hour ago, Number 6 said:

In theory you are right, although I doubt it’s likely to happen.

The condition of granting the extension is that you are married and have a monthly income. If you divorce it ends, so logically the same should apply if your income ends.

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Its an extension based on showing 40k a month income for the "past" twelve months and the source (overseas pension or thai wages etc). The same as any other money shown to immigration, its always the past 12 months of income.

That’s not correct. They want proof that you have a passive income (pension etc.) — if coming from abroad — and expect that it’s in perpetuity. If you are using income from work in Thailand they only need to see a couple of months income/tax receipts.

Fortunately — as a rule — immigration do not check employment status or income once they’ve issued the extension, so losing a job is unlikely to cause an immediate problem.

13 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Many of you seem to be stating that after receiving the extension, you're gold for a year. So if you were fired second month into your job - the extension based on salary remain valid for the next ten months. I doubt

You seem a bit confused here.

Actually, once on  

A work extension, I left  after a month. People told me I had 7 days to leave the country. I didn't  and kept  my visa as I knew that only an IO could cancel it. I got a new visa with a new job when it was time, paid a 1500 baht fine for not handing in my WP, to the din dang police station.

However we're  talking about a marriage visa here. Most people get it with money coming from abroad. I had it once when I just showed  200 k in the bank, and all was good.

If you lose a job,, they will .ake you put  the money in the bank, the ext is not stopped if you lose the job.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Number 6 said:

You mention teaching, which is no different to the jobs apart from it pays much less. 400 k is a yeats salary for some teachers.

Yes, you can do the visa that way, if it is over 40k.

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

You mention teaching, which is no different to the jobs apart from it pays much less. 400 k is a yeats salary for some teachers.

Yes, you can do the visa that way, if it is over 40k.

Most teachers in Bangkok are making 525-825k public or public private schools. Thanks for input.

So then I stand corrected - I'm personally still somewhat unclear but it's not my method of doing an extension. Very good luck to OP with this.

Edited by Number 6