Shower not turning off immediately

Huckenfell

It sounds like your pump and pressure switch is set up in a control loop so that your pump continues to run until the system pressure is restored and then switches off. If that is the case remove the pressure switch and check whether its damaged. Also check the pump suction and make sure that there isn't a partial blockage, which would mean recharging the house reticulation is a little slower. These are the two controlling factors in your system unless you've got an inline filter for debris as well. If you have an inline filter then clean it out.

Are you saying it keeps running at normal levels after the valve is closed or just keeps dripping for awhile afterwards?  As mentioned above my rain shower head will keep dripping for a minute or so, never really timed it, after turning it off.  I think it is likely a siphon effect of the water left in the pipe.

17 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

An overhead ceiling rain shower head typically can do that as the whole head is full of water and needs to empty.

In reverse, when you start the shower does it takean equal amount of time to fill the head to a full on spray?

No, it flows instantly.

5 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

It sounds like your pump and pressure switch is set up in a control loop so that your pump continues to run until the system pressure is restored and then switches off. If that is the case remove the pressure switch and check whether its damaged. Also check the pump suction and make sure that there isn't a partial blockage, which would mean recharging the house reticulation is a little slower. These are the two controlling factors in your system unless you've got an inline filter for debris as well. If you have an inline filter then clean it out.

Good idea, i am thinking that there might be a filter blockage.

3 hours ago, rwill said:

Are you saying it keeps running at normal levels after the valve is closed or just keeps dripping for awhile afterwards?  As mentioned above my rain shower head will keep dripping for a minute or so, never really timed it, after turning it off.  I think it is likely a siphon effect of the water left in the pipe.

keeps running normally.

2 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

Why not turn the shower off as soon as you start to shower ? 40 secs should be enough ????

Aussies like long showers, thank you. They tell me that it is the Poms who tend to be rather quick. ????????   just an old joke, no offense please.

Had this with Panasonic heaters. If I pressed the on of switch a couple of times, it would stop.

This kept going well till the real problem showed up. The plastic 'finger' that pushes the solenoid in was worn out/half broken.

Funny but true. Turning on was okay but for turning off there is more force needed. All 3 of my Panasonic heaters had the same problem.

Panasonics are a bit old, so plastic must have been degraded.

So, not saying it's the same at OP's end, but maybe worth checking if the switch is not obstructed

4 hours ago, hugocnx said:

Had this with Panasonic heaters. If I pressed the on of switch a couple of times, it would stop.

This kept going well till the real problem showed up. The plastic 'finger' that pushes the solenoid in was worn out/half broken.

Funny but true. Turning on was okay but for turning off there is more force needed. All 3 of my Panasonic heaters had the same problem.

Panasonics are a bit old, so plastic must have been degraded.

So, not saying it's the same at OP's end, but maybe worth checking if the switch is not obstructed

I have the same problem with my Panasonic heater (about 8-10 years old now, so doing quite well really).

I usually need to turn it on then off again for it to stop, or very occasionally cycle it many more times...

I suspect it's some dirt that's got through the inlet filter that's causing it to stick, but i'm not going to open it to check in case it fails totally.

In the worst case, just put a hand valve on the inlet supply.. as soon as the water flow stops the heater will cut out (or should do).  

18 hours ago, steve73 said:

I have the same problem with my Panasonic heater (about 8-10 years old now, so doing quite well really).

I usually need to turn it on then off again for it to stop, or very occasionally cycle it many more times...

I suspect it's some dirt that's got through the inlet filter that's causing it to stick, but i'm not going to open it to check in case it fails totally.

In the worst case, just put a hand valve on the inlet supply.. as soon as the water flow stops the heater will cut out (or should do).  

thanks Steve, it is not mine so will just put up with it until it packs up and then complain.

20 hours ago, steve73 said:

Yes, I had to do that 5 times in the end. Also Panasonics of that age.

But it is easy to check if it is the handle or the valve/solenoid.

Unplug mains, open hood with just one screw and see what is happening mechanically between the valve and the on/off handle.

Try to lock and unlock the valve with a screw driver as well to see if it is the valve itself. It's a click on - click off system so works without mains.

On 9/5/2019 at 7:01 AM, Dogbarker said:

Interestingly some high power electric showers  are designed to run for several seconds after turning off to avoid damaging the heating unit.. Clever.  

My electric shower in the UK does this.

Archived