Dual pricing: Retirees and expats may be charged more at Thai govt hospitals

webfact

57 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Congratulations from recovering from cowering in your bunker gasping thu' your gasmask in the world's most polluted city to emerge unfazed for your next dose of sugar candy

Ouch...... Ody you must have got some bad stuff that sent you on this paranoid trip.   Sure, those days when we cruised on dirt roads through the North without a care are long gone.  As are many things from the past.

Oh, to be young again doing the easy rider thing and stopping off to crash in towns or villages and being offered the peace pipe...... but a little late in history to be given the headmans youngest for the night.

And so I find myself..... modern times with polluted air and seas.  Sugar candy no longer does the trick, its Keto this and Keto that.  Ha ha.   Bring on the haze I say. Purple is best and I will kiss the sky.  

OK, maybe if I can get myself up to it I might just sneak out for a month or two. Not sure yet as the older I get the more I want to stay bunkered down.   Between a rock and a hard place for many. Peace !

• Like 1

Of course Thailand can set any price policies they want & obviously do but...

I imagine the private hospitals use to set pricing X above govt & now that govt has moved closer the private hospitals will

likely adjust also.

All fine & well but I wonder at a time when tourism is definitely off .. how it will affect a one time big draw to Thailand...meaning medical tourism?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, riclag said:

No sweat off my nuggets, youngin! I salted away a handsome nest egg!

Nice respect

The Government is aware, they will be doing the best they can to reduce it. Why should it be in your pockets, when it can be in their pockets.

4 hours ago, dcnx said:

Hahahaha. Good. You oldies should pay more for the privilege of living here.

I actually love it when some say: "the days of doing this and that have come to an end", with satisfaction, in reference to people staying on tourist visas, without realising that, the more leave, the more milked the remaining ones will be.????

Edited by lkv

Many different opinions here. I was at Bangkok pattaya yesterday, appoitment with a orthopedist, xray and back to the doctor again. 2100 Baht, not that bad.

on the other hand, to replace left hip 450-500.000 Baht. Happy for my insurance.

Preparation for most expats, especially those who are older, is

1. leave Thailand for better countries or at least have a Thailand backup strategy -- they do not want white people in Thailand
  2. focus on ensuring that finances are in order, even if it means going back to work for some -- fixed income in retirement is a HUGE risk
  3. maintain a healthy lifestyle to lower the risk of life style related health problems -- that means limited drinking, no smoking, eating healthy and keeping weight off
  4. stop giving away money to uneducated Thai village people -- be as stingy with your money as the Chinese Thai smartly are

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Jano22 said:

Many different opinions here. I was at Bangkok pattaya yesterday, appoitment with a orthopedist, xray and back to the doctor again. 2100 Baht, not that bad.

on the other hand, to replace left hip 450-500.000 Baht. Happy for my insurance.

two orthopedists having a toast (drinks, that is)......." hip,  hip,  HOORAY !"

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, drbeach said:

Then that same Farang complains that they have to pay 5 dollars more for service in a Thai hospital

Hmmm, 70.000 baht for 2 days in private hospital is for sure not 5 dollars more then you would pay in a government hospital. 

2 hours ago, Jano22 said:

A hip replacement really doesn't need to be so expensive.

I paid 130k for everything at the military hospital in Udon.

Pleased with all of it.

Edited by faraday

15 hours ago, webfact said:

The pricing structure separates foreign patients into three groups:

1. Foreigners from neighbouring countries (including Laos, Burma, Cambodia, Vietnam)
  2. Foreigners working or studying in Thailand (Non B, ED, M)
  3. Foreign retirees and tourists (Non O, TR, VOA) 

I really hope the rest of the world wakes up and start to make reciprocal charges to Thai visitors on a sliding scale of course with people from Thailand being charged the most.

• Like 1

Not basic healthcare for expats in (perm residents of) Canada. Basic medical free of charge, gov't paid. USA medical costs are insanely high and private businesses.

Yes,  but a LOT LESS  than they would in almost any western country.   Its all relative..... i have learned
not to complain when the oil change and tune up costs me 175 baht on my motorcycle.  Should i make a face and say that two years ago it cost me 160 baht ?   I smile and think how bloody cheap things are here compared to US or Canada. 

2 minutes ago, Zack61 said:

I’m free. One of the benefits of marrying a government employee 

Now a dual pricing system is being introduced, will they pay only to the Thai level, expecting you to pay the difference I wonder?

I have no idea - I'm just posing the question.

Went to Sukhumvit Hospital in Ekamai once with a very bad food poisoning. The doctor asked me what medicine I took and I said that I took Perenterol and that's it's containing yeast (in Thai) and even showed the package. She had no idea what it was. She also suggested I had an appendicitis and asked me to come back three times after that (which I didn't do). Makes me wonder how much her parents paid someone to get her through med school.

• Like 2

Quick Question:  How many of you professional cry babies pay taxes and contribute to the medical and infrastructure system to Thailand?  You folks are so happy to point the "Freeloader" finger ... until it is your turn to try and game the system. 

The planes leave every few hours ... and tickets back to Frarangatopia are cheap.

hopefully all other countries in the world except asean will provide parity with thai nationals and charge them triple for medical care.  seniors get a discount riding mrt but guess now they will pay double.  thai culture is supposed to respect age aka retired but this flies in the face of that culture.

• Like 1

Well this should please those who are happy to pay more Thai's club what next dual pricing at supermarkets and restaurants.

An example from the link below

For example, an HIV test costs 160 baht if you’re Thai. It goes up to 240 baht for working expats and then to 320 baht for retirees and tourists.
Or, a spinal MRI examination will cost Thais 18,700 baht. That jumps to 23,375 baht for working expats and 28,050 baht for retirees and tourists.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/foreigners-crying-foul-over-the-new-dual-pricing-policy-at-thai-public-hospitals

Will this mean dual pricing at private hospitals in the future?

Already there.
I have posted earlier about how a quote I received fell by 50% when I spoke Thai to the officer and complained.

Sent from my SM-C710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geoffggi said:

I really hope the rest of the world wakes up and start to make reciprocal charges to Thai visitors on a sliding scale of course with people from Thailand being charged the most.

39 minutes ago, shavedPotter said:

Well this should put a good dent in medical tourism. I don't see any benefits to greed.

While completely true, the real problems with medical care start with the staggering commercial greed of the western medical industry, hello America. The US health industry alone is approaching 4 TRILLION US$, that's the size of the entire US Federal budget. In Washington, money is power.

The CEO of Mylan, famous for massive price increases of its bee sting injector, was asked to respond to public complaints about spending $700 for 50 cents of this common medication. His answer at a public press conference was "They can go <deleted>*k themselves". Mylan had the same approach when called before congress.

Be thankful you are in Thailand, surprisingly good medical care for the price, at least for now.

• Like 1