Dual pricing: Retirees and expats may be charged more at Thai govt hospitals

webfact

15 hours ago, Angry Dragon said:

reasonable priced insurance for expats who pay income taxes in Thailand is already offered.  in fact participation in the plan is mandatory for all who pay income taxes.

i guess this is yet another reason to move from permanent residency to Thai citizenship before I retire.  Class 2 ain't bad, but can't beat Class 1.

You are wrong!

This shouldn't be surprising!  Just confirms the leaders thinking past and present and they are so proud of their actions they don't care if the worlds knows it that their actions are racist, prejudice and discriminating.

The late HM, once voice this practice gives Thailand a blackeye! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, happy chappie said:

Hey why not go the whole way and have farang gasoline pumps at 50b a litre,farang bank accounts with zero interest rates,or even FAT (farang added tax) at all checkouts and payment centres.

very good timing too with the baht going through the roof.

Lol lol  get a grip buddy life here can be a pain in the <deleted> at times but it still alot less expensive than most people's home country. Also dont give them any new ideas they might just listen to you lol but I  don't think they will as I don't think we are that important to them really.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Well thanx for your knowledgeble opinion doc.

So when my appendix burst, i should have just died in the car park then?

ps, the operating theatre was state of the art, the medical staff superb, post op care great, and it cost in total 14k.

Government hospital.

Totally agree with what you say after 2 heart operations at Siriraj public hospital the level of care and service was second to none and as good as any private or western hospital.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

No matter what a Thai government hospital charged I would never use one.  I been to one with my wife  The doctor was an idiot.  I knew more than he did.

Wouldn't agree...I have been to Sirikit Hospital in Sattahip...Navy Hospital....great service and areas similar to a 5 star hotel.

Mind you, the price for a Farang was always more than a Thai national....but still very cheap.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, rumak said:

He then launched a "four year campaign for justice".     Let's all send a big thank you to this Farang for standing up to the injustice.   Now we ALL can pay for his campaign

Your ticked off bcos this guy is actually standing up for his rights and ours?

Shame on you!  He brought to light something that was already in place. Instead of shunning him you should pick up the cause and support this guy. 

Who was the Jewish man from a concentration camp who said, "I never was concerned about my fellow Jews who got picked up by the SS until they came for me." ?

Edited by LazySlipper
  • Like 2

What if one is in the SSO scheme where either we or our employer pays SSO under Article 39 and 40.  Do we still get free medical or is this now saying we have to pay? This is very confusing. 

these hospitals should be significantly cheap for Thais. It is a benefit for the citizens. for others...YES...they should pay more!

My main point is this...even though we pay more at these hospitals it is still significantly less than Ram in Chiang Mai and other 'international' hospitals.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bangkokequity said:

Quick Question:  How many of you professional cry babies pay taxes and contribute to the medical and infrastructure system to Thailand?  You folks are so happy to point the "Freeloader" finger ... until it is your turn to try and game the system. 

The planes leave every few hours ... and tickets back to Frarangatopia are cheap.

You are trying to dodge the bullet instead of recognising that there is a problem here in Thailand with dual pricing in general

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, RBOP said:

What if one is in the SSO scheme where either we or our employer pays SSO under Article 39 and 40.  Do we still get free medical or is this now saying we have to pay? This is very confusing. 

If hospital rates go up but you are still covered, then the government pays more, no?

Edited by rabas
  • Like 1

Depends on the hospital in particular whether its worth it or not. Ive had to visit the local kanchanaburi public hospitals regularly with dying neighbours admitted there. Its horrid!!! Balls out on display for all to see, people shtng themselves, i dont need to see cathiders fitted, people.just bleeding from ill fitted butterfly clips and usually family have to clean up the mess, not enough beds so people lined up along corridors, family of just sleeping all over the place, smells like death and pollution with all windows open to the humidity and constant burning rubbish smell, people dying constantly and laying there for quite some time, doctor comes around everyonce and a while and they look like they are 15yrs old and know nothing and dont talk, nurses are just flatout lazy and sometimes theres not any nurses or doctors to be found with hundreds of desperately needing attention.

Ive been in private hospitals and the main difference is they cost more, little cleaner but they still have idiot doctors and lazy nurses. I had a curable disease that can be done for free world wide these days but at the time when the treatment arrived here it was easier to do it here. Cost 1m and my treatment was stopped early because i showed great results but the disease hadn't been killed off. I did treatment again which will usually fail with a small chance of success. It failed miserably and now my life will be shortened considerably do to the effects of the treatment let alone the disease.

I did a last ditch effort at curing myself by buying fake drugs from india and getting them in the country illegally which was a success but not sure yet if all the disease has gone. I should state that it cost 100,000b to get all drugs from india sofar with better success and i ended up spending 3m in thai hospital to be worse off. Thais get the treatment for free!

Should have just gone home for free treatment in the beginning.

Many private hospitals dont have equiptment needed also. I dont have faith in any hospitals here at all.

Yeah, this just is making the overcharging legal, that's all.  Been going on pretty much all the time from my experience. 

IMO, in 'theory', Thai people pay tax (I know that is more often than not the case), so they get the standard rate.  It would be like me in Australia where I pay tax (and a s&^% load of it) but get the Medicare subsidy because I pay a Medicare levy from my income.  

Still doesn't help if you cannot be covered for pre-existing ailments by your insurance and have to fork out the lot.  I suppose you just have to bite the bullet or go elsewhere?  

16 hours ago, monkfish said:

a spinal MRI examination will cost Thais 18,700 baht. That jumps to 23,375 baht for working expats and 28,050 baht for retirees and tourists.

Paid 8000 baht in Phuket earlier this year for lumbar spine MRI, no contrast.  Same thing in the states (Buffalo) $450 = 13,700 thb.  

I really am starting to consider if I have a future in this country that I love. My wife already wants to move back to the UK and news stories such as this make her points even more compelling. As our savings are pretty much all in Thai Baht, we'd have a nice nest egg once exchanged to GBP.