Baht’s strength dulls foreign interest in homes under Bt10m

webfact

4 hours ago, WeekendRaider said:

first thought real obvious.  unless it is where you live, not an investment at any price.

even for homes over 10 million THB, as another "strength" may dull interest in real property but not just for foreigners either.  beginning real soon.  2020?  well, real property ahead of stocks as well as bonds obviously, especially bonds..... that are now bid at negative rates for the first time in 243 years such as the 30 year Treasury.  next?  they say maybe 10 years, but the narrative is a little different from the one some of us know about.  including some folks with $12 trillion US dollars in those negatively rate bid and held bonds:  a "possible recession next year" is what we are told..  yeah right.

"strength" as in positive over negative atmospheric forcings that.... we have to put this in politically correct language.... have an influence on the discount rate used to price those thangs.  using some accounting tongue twisters but if you think about for a few secs it makes sense to just about anyone.  unless you don't get simple physics.  not even the kind [Einstein stuff] that allows cell phones to work.  simple physics [even before the great Albert Einstein who had Asperger's Syndrome, just like Greta Thunberg has, so they say].

that's what the tea leaves seem to maybe say.  maybe.  but if you believe I also have Asperger's, that may or may not help you out.  if you are not prepared at all.  and we all need to be.   yeah yeah.  maybe.  I get that too.  but do you?   

not so easy to get but I understand the language you are using and what you are saying.

soon, the bonds will be no bid while the pensioners - poor fools -  remain expectant.

Who knows when; but that will be an actual decision made by actual people; not a "reaction of the market".

Wow, I missed that story. Where did you read about that? My landlord is also foreign I hope this is a one off.

Also that report this week of a retiree's renewal being refused because the owner of the condo he rented was Chinese, rendering the rental illegal because the owner was not permitted to work in Thailand. Hopefully just a one-off bizarre decision but if it in any way represents the start of a fad to exclude foreign landlords it will pour cold water on the entire market.

Sent from my FLA-LX2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

8 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

Why would I buy a condo, 10% more expensive than last year, in a country where I have to report my every move to the police? 

Maybe a good time to sell my condo and buy foreign currencies.

Buy Aussie dollars...image.png.ec26892bfd7dd8a16bd4994441decae4.png

3 hours ago, wolf81 said:

When buying in Thailand I would also worry if the condo's would be properly maintained now and in the future (I've seen quite a few run-down condos that surely must have looked nice at one time) and if the build quality is decent. I'd say there are a lot of crappy condo's on the market, marketed as luxury living. 

good points!  they all look pretty good new but many age quickly.  some general guidelines i've followed:

1.  know your developer.  there are only a handful of longstanding developers with quality projects after 10 years.

2.  don't buy developments with one bedroom units.  these attract investors who want to buy and rent out.  when they can't rent out, they skimp on maintenance dues.  two bedroom + developments tend to attract families more than investors.

3.  buy a freehold (not a long term lease on crown property).

4.  read the condo association by-laws.

5.  location, location, location!

15 minutes ago, Angry Dragon said:

good points!  they all look pretty good new but many age quickly.  some general guidelines i've followed:

1.  know your developer.  there are only a handful of longstanding developers with quality projects after 10 years.

2.  don't buy developments with one bedroom units.  these attract investors who want to buy and rent out.  when they can't rent out, they skimp on maintenance dues.  two bedroom + developments tend to attract families more than investors.

3.  buy a freehold (not a long term lease on crown property).

4.  read the condo association by-laws.

5.  location, location, location!

Also don't buy new, old buildings (10 years) easily show you how well they are maintained and if they got properly build.

Also rooms in old buildings tend to be bigger, just renovate them.

Land prices were also cheaper back then so they tend to be cheaper.

7 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Yeap. Me and the missus bought a condo in 2016 in preparation for the new BTS right outside our front door in 2020. We bought it to live in for the foreseeable. The value of our property on paper has increased (selling it would be another matter), but the amount of condos that have been built in the area since then has been staggering. Our saving grace is that our condo is low-rise over a huge area of trees, flowers and greenery. All the other ones are just high-rise shoe boxes that look like something from a dystopian future. 

Yeah we bought ours because the BTS access is directly at the Condo driveway and we have a hospital and Big-C within 100m, plus Chatuchak Park and an MRT stop only 10 minutes walk. But given the volume of new builds coming onto the market its a very rapidly changing environment in regards to price stability. For example we paid 3M Baht less than a person two floors beneath ours for an identically sized and fitted out new condo because we bought after him and obviously sales were slowing. So people need to shop around and bargain I guess. 

Archived