Passport pages down to 3

Slight variation to the quoted reply.

For me, in usa my passport is full of 90 day tourist visa  i am getting a new passport while in usa. .. No visa at this time

Do i

get/need the usa embassy letter

carry both passports?

Thanks in advance

2 minutes ago, ifmu said:

Slight variation to the quoted reply.

For me, in usa my passport is full of 90 day tourist visa  i am getting a new passport while in usa. .. No visa at this time

Do i

get/need the usa embassy letter

carry both passports?

Thanks in advance

If you do not have a valid visa in your old passport you will only need your new passport when you enter the country.

You can retire your old passport as soon as you get the new one.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2019 at 5:10 PM, Bruce404 said:

This may not be relevant to the original poster (OP) whose permission to remain legally in Thailand might be expiring soon. 

But at this morning's (6 September 2019) "Town Hall" hosted by the U.S. Consulate in Chiang Mai for American residents in northern Thailand, one topic discussed was that expatriate adult Americans in Thailand need not physically travel to the Embassy or Consulate to apply for a replacement passport.  

Our diplomats said that using the Thai Post express-mail service (EMS) was highly reliable for mailing in the application and one's current expiring passport, and receiving back the new one at one's mailing address in Thailand by the same EMS delivery.  One attendee verified that his was submitted and the new passport returned within a week or so, even shorter than the two-to-three weeks estimated by the US Mission's webpage on the topic:

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/adult-passport-renew/ 

There was no discussion on what xerox copies to keep on hand while the old passport is not in possession. (I would suggest color copies of one's picture page, and at least any pages with one's current visa, permission-to-stay stamp, and current TM.6 slip and number.  Plus a copy of one's application if one needs to convince an official why one's passport is unavailable.)

Also, with the new banking regulations (mentioned elsewhere on ThaiVisa today) requiring in-person transactions by foreigners to require showing one's passport to the teller or clerk, one had better plan not to need such while the old and new passport are unavailable.  

PS. As the State Department will no longer glue in additional passport pages as they once did, it's a good idea to conserve pages.  For example, when at Immigration offices or ports of entry, I will mention that I do not have very many empty pages left, and point out places on half-used pages and request the officer kindly to stamp there. 

Indeed, I did that the other day at Chiang Mai Immigration for both a 1-year extension of permission to stay and re-entry permit.   Both officers were kind enough carefully to stamp in the vacant spots I requested.  Indeed, the tall re-entry permit was stamped horizontally (his idea) to allow more clearance from the prior stamps on the page.

Thanks for your input. I went to a local Kodak shop in Buriram and asked for a set of photos that are the exact same size as the passport I brought along with me. Once I got home I went online to begin the process of mailing in all the information with the old passport, the application, and of course two of my passport photos. I am now concerned as these photos do not measure the same as what the embassy website recommends the size be that are submitted. I'm just wondering if that is gonna be a problem.  As if it is,  I will  just  head down to Bangkok and do it in person, as there is a photo machine in the Embassy that will spit out the correctly required size photos . 

14 minutes ago, billyburi said:

I am now concerned as these photos do not measure the same as what the embassy website recommends the size be that are submitted.

If the photos are not 2 X 2 inch photos they are the wrong size.

See:  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/requirements/photos.html

I very much doubt that BillyBuri needs travel to Bangkok just to get a paper photograph that is exactly the 2 inches by 2 inches size requested by application forms for U.S. passports. U.S. passports no longer actually contain images printed on photographic paper glued onto the passport's page 2. The submitted photos are scanned and the image merged electronicallly with all the other data on page 2 of the passport. Indeed, the image shown on the passport is not the perfect square of equal width and height requested for submitted photos on paper. It is much taller than wide. I doubt submitting a picture a few millimeters wider or narrower, taller or shorter than the requested exact 50.8 millimeters on edge specified in the passport application will cause any problem or rejection. The image, once scanned, is obviously cropped and resized for inclusion in the passport.

Edited by Bruce404

4 minutes ago, Bruce404 said:

I very much doubt that BillyBuri needs travel to Bangkok just to get a paper photograph that is exactly the 2 inches by 2 inches size requested by application forms for U.S. passports. U.S. passports no longer actually contain images printed on photographic paper glued onto the passport's page 2.

They are still picky on the size of the photo.

Agree he should not have to go to the embassy to get the correct photos. He just needs to look at requirements and check they meet them after getting some 2 X 2 photos done.

Agree that the State Department specifies "The correct size of a passport photo is: 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm). Head must be between 1 -1 3/8 inches (25 - 35 mm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head". But in BillyBuri's case, the relevant question is: How many sixteenths of an inch or millimeters wider or narrower, taller or shorter than this specification will be accepted or rejected by the person processing his or her mailed-in application? Hopefully, he has some additional photos of identical size as he submitted, and will measure them to inform us all to the precision of 1/16 inch or millimeter what size they were. Then add to this thread later to inform us all if they were accepted as is and a new passport sent to him, or his application was delayed by request to send in a new pair of photos.

Edited by Bruce404

15 minutes ago, Bruce404 said:

How many sixteenths of an inch or millimeters wider or narrower, taller or shorter than this specification

The photo on my 6 year old US passport is only 1.25 X 1.78 inch. I don't think one that size would be accepted.

21 minutes ago, billyburi said:

I will request a specific 2x2 inch photo at the photo shop and hope they can deliver the specific size required.  Thank you Gentlemen.

Every Kodak or Fuji Photoshop in Thailand will give you the size you want. We're talking digital photos now,not a Kodak Instamatic 100 photo.

The image Ubonjoe measures on his current passport is not on the photographic paper he surely submitted 6 years ago that I am sure was close to the 2" x 2" size specified. The size he measures now (1-1/4 inch wide by 1-3/4 inch tall) would surely have been rejected if that was the size of the paper photographs he submitted back then, as this size differs drastically from the specified 2" x 2" width and length of square aspect ratio. What is on current U.S. passports derives from a scan by the State Department of the paper photograph he submitted, then cropped and perhaps resized for insertion onto page 2 of the passport. I await reading what was the exact size of the photographs BillyBuri already mailed in with his application, and the outcome: A new passport mailed to him, or a request to send in new photos of correct size. Regardless of BillyBuri's experience, it will be just one anecdote of no statistical robustness. The passport applications mailed in by others may be processed by different officials who apply their own degrees of strictness in accepting or rejecting submitted photos on account of their size. Or even if others' applications are handled by the same processor as BillyBuri's application, the processor might have gotten out of bed on the wrong side that morning, be in an ornery mood, and apply stricter criteria than his or her usual to reject submitted photographs that on better days might have been accepted. Such discretion is a fact of life. We read complaints about it all the time on Thaivisa regarding varying application of what ought to be standard rules by different Immigration officers in the same Immigration offices, or by different Immigration offices around Thailand.

4 minutes ago, Bruce404 said:

The image Ubonjoe measures on his current passport is not on the photographic paper he surely submitted 6 years ago that I am sure was close to the 2" x 2" size specified.

I submitted a 2 X 2 photo.

I measured the picture in my passport as I wrote in my post.

On 9/5/2019 at 10:40 AM, lamyai3 said:

No problem, if you have three spare pages left it will be more than enough. 

Entering and exiting Laos will take up 2 pages if immigration officer is economic with stamp placement. You can not enter Laos with less than six months validity. A border hop to Malaysia would be less stressful. 

2 hours ago, billyburi said:

I will request a specific 2x2 inch photo at the photo shop and hope they can deliver the specific size required.  Thank you Gentlemen.

2x2 for the photo, however the height of the person's head must measure 1 inch (IIRC).

In other words, do not submit a 2x2 photo of yourself that is taken from 10 miles away.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2019 at 5:10 PM, Bruce404 said:

This may not be relevant to the original poster (OP) whose permission to remain legally in Thailand might be expiring soon. 

But at this morning's (6 September 2019) "Town Hall" hosted by the U.S. Consulate in Chiang Mai for American residents in northern Thailand, one topic discussed was that expatriate adult Americans in Thailand need not physically travel to the Embassy or Consulate to apply for a replacement passport.  

Our diplomats said that using the Thai Post express-mail service (EMS) was highly reliable for mailing in the application and one's current expiring passport, and receiving back the new one at one's mailing address in Thailand by the same EMS delivery.  One attendee verified that his was submitted and the new passport returned within a week or so, even shorter than the two-to-three weeks estimated by the US Mission's webpage on the topic:

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/adult-passport-renew/ 

There was no discussion on what xerox copies to keep on hand while the old passport is not in possession. (I would suggest color copies of one's picture page, and at least any pages with one's current visa, permission-to-stay stamp, and current TM.6 slip and number.  Plus a copy of one's application if one needs to convince an official why one's passport is unavailable.)

Also, with the new banking regulations (mentioned elsewhere on ThaiVisa today) requiring in-person transactions by foreigners to require showing one's passport to the teller or clerk, one had better plan not to need such while the old and new passport are unavailable.  

PS. As the State Department will no longer glue in additional passport pages as they once did, it's a good idea to conserve pages.  For example, when at Immigration offices or ports of entry, I will mention that I do not have very many empty pages left, and point out places on half-used pages and request the officer kindly to stamp there. 

Indeed, I did that the other day at Chiang Mai Immigration for both a 1-year extension of permission to stay and re-entry permit.   Both officers were kind enough carefully to stamp in the vacant spots I requested.  Indeed, the tall re-entry permit was stamped horizontally (his idea) to allow more clearance from the prior stamps on the page.

I mailed my new passport application with all the other requirements to the United States Embassy Bangkok on Monday A.M. I used the Thai EMS postal service. I checked the tracking of the package and it was received yesterday. Just hoping I receive my new passport before September 19th , as on that date my 30 day stamp expires. Thanks.

12 minutes ago, billyburi said:

September 19th

Typo? Perhaps October 19th is what you intended to write.

I think you will have your passport by then.

You actually have until the 21st to do a extension application without paying a overstay fine  since the 19th is a Saturday.

48 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Typo? Perhaps October 19th is what you intended to write.

I think you will have your passport by then.

You actually have until the 21st to do a extension application without paying a overstay fine  since the 19th is a Saturday.

Yes. You are correct. I meant October 19th. I'm glad to know I have until The 21st , so I can move my stamps over to new passport and get a 60 day extension based on marriage all during the same visit. Have a great day!

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/2/2019 at 10:24 AM, billyburi said:

Yes. You are correct. I meant October 19th. I'm glad to know I have until The 21st , so I can move my stamps over to new passport and get a 60 day extension based on marriage all during the same visit. Have a great day!

Hi Ubon Joe. What happens if I still don't have my new passport by Monday? Is there a window for me to still get a 60 day extension based on Marriage after the stamps are moved from old to new passport? What happens if I can't go to immigration until Thursday as I believe it's a National Holiday on Wednesday. I will be on overstay as of 22nd ? As my stamp is up tomorrow October 19th.

46 minutes ago, billyburi said:

Hi Ubon Joe. What happens if I still don't have my new passport by Monday? Is there a window for me to still get a 60 day extension based on Marriage after the stamps are moved from old to new passport? What happens if I can't go to immigration until Thursday as I believe it's a National Holiday on Wednesday. I will be on overstay as of 22nd ? As my stamp is up tomorrow October 19th.

You will be a ovestay for everyday after the 19th if you cannot do it on Monday. It will cost you 500 baht a day.

Immigration would still do the extension if you get it next week since they will be able to see the problem by looking at your passports.

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You will be a ovestay for everyday after the 19th if you cannot do it on Monday. It will cost you 500 baht a day.

Immigration would still do the extension if you get it next week since they will be able to see the problem by looking at your passports.

Thanks Ubon Joe. If I had it to do all over again I would've dropped it off in person and demanded to pick it up in person, as I received an email yesterday that it would be sent out the next business day. Now the latest email says it wont be sent out till Monday. Very disappointed.

Edited by billyburi