Video: Power saving device is just a fake, says Thailand's electrical authority

webfact

Video: Power saving device is just a fake, says Thailand's electrical authority

3pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Tests on a device that is meant to save the consumer on their electric bills have proved it to be a piece of fake junk. 

A video issued by the electrical authority showed the "Power Factor Saver" being checked out. 

Far from decreasing bills it would actually raise them by a fraction as the plug in device has a fluorescent light. 

It was far more likely to damage your supply than save you money, they stated. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-09-05

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When my wife gets home i will have to get her to read the above.

Silly <deleted> paid 1200 baht for 1 of these damn things, as much as i tried to tell her waste of money, wont work, all i got was Thai man say i save more 25% on electric bills.

5 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Silly <deleted> paid 1200 baht for 1 of these damn things, as much as i tried to tell her waste of money, wont work, all i got was Thai man say i save more 25% on electric bills.

A slight tap for her?   LOL

6 minutes ago, Dellboy218 said:

That's got an internal fluorescent light? I think not. 

Yes ,a 2 ft one ????.....That the people at the Electrical Authority don't know their LED from

their fluorescence ....says it all,

regards Worgeordie 

Of course it's fake, the same as those insect repellents that plug into a power point. There seems to be zero scrutiny of any product advertised on Thai television. I remember seeing an ad for underpants that had some magnets sown into the crotch that were supposed to improve your sexual performance.

19 minutes ago, Dellboy218 said:

That's got an internal fluorescent light? I think not. 

These sort of things happen in translation from native script to English regularly. When reading any Thailand derived English language news it is always prudent to keep that in mind.

5 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Of course it's fake, the same as those insect repellents that plug into a power point. There seems to be zero scrutiny of any product advertised on Thai television. I remember seeing an ad for underpants that had some magnets sown into the crotch that were supposed to improve your sexual performance.

You missed the fact that your girlfriend has to wear one as well.

I don't see how a device of that nature would save electricity, but if it has a good capacitor in it, it might save your devices from wearing out faster due to the electrical surges and spikes.  I have LED lights that wax and wane (flicker) due to irregular power.  I installed a large capacitor beside one and have been very pleased with the effect.  I need to do that with several others. 

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

yes it's absolute nonsense, in fact your bill will go up because the device itself uses electricity lol - electric is produced and used,  it is not something you can use less of unless you generate it yourself, this device is a scam of the highest order, if something uses 1kwh - that is what it uses, if you want to use less electric in a bulb the brightness will go down - simple as that

I have a device that measures and logs my usage - real time - daily - weekly - monthly that is entirely different and useful just to verify what items are actually using and also good if I leave something on that I should have turned off, like an aircon unit in another room that I have left (who hasn't done that lol)

3 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I've been wanting to ask if anybody has bought one of them internet boosters whatever they are called

another scam, if you have 50mbs connection that is what you get, if you have a really weak signal in some remote part of your house you can connect an extender via LAN cable

8 minutes ago, smedly said:
4 hours ago, overherebc said:

A few years ago re' all those little red standby lights in tbe home. If you have enough of them they can add up to 10% on your monthly bill.

rubbish

It's not rubbish, do you think that they do not use any electricity?  He did say "If you have enough of them..."

My wife bought one of these and I said, "no way will this do anything."  Problem is our electric bills have gone down. The pool pump is still timed the same and we rarely use aircon anyway so I can't explain it but I still think it is just correlation not causation and this is how such devices are claimed to work - anecdotal unscientific evidence.

About 30 years ago in the UK there was a black box 100mm x 100mm x 100mm available on the black market. This device had 2 wires which you inserted next to the wires entering your meter and it would actually run the meter disc (remember those?) backwards at low consumption so the technology is possible but you could not just plug it in to a socket, it had to be direct to the meter.  Our meter is 25m away from the property and is 3 phase so again I say it wont work plugged in to 1 phase 25m away.

Mind you if it did work the electric authority would hardly admit it.

20 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

It's not rubbish, do you think that they do not use any electricity?  He did say "If you have enough of them..."

These small LEDs use less than 0.02W so even if you had 20 on all month it would cost less than 2 baht.  That is the beauty of LED lighting, it is almost free, a typical 5W LED on 12 hours a day will only cost 9 baht a month compared to a 50W halogen that will cost 90 baht a month and heat the room, not a good thing here.  However, all the devices with the red stand-by LEDs will have a transformer running so the cost will actually be more but it is still insignificant.

Archived