Video: Power saving device is just a fake, says Thailand's electrical authority

webfact

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you have reactive loads, motors and transformers, then PF correction can save you money. However the correction has to be immediate to the device, not a some remote location. 

https://www.electricaltechnology.org/2013/10/advantages-of-power-factor-improvement-and-correction.html

On 9/5/2019 at 2:18 PM, Just Weird said:

It's not rubbish, do you think that they do not use any electricity?  He did say "If you have enough of them..."

enough of them ? 

5 room house with 5 modern Tv's and say 4 other various appliances for an average house all on standby for 50% of 30 days

how must electric did they use and cost in baht at government rate on standby

and for myself I have 2x large tv's and a couple of other items that go on standby, not even worth considering their usage it is so small

One gadget I did buy that is a plug in it drives away rats and mice people used to say they dont work but I have to say this works Im sure it works on the geckos we dont have any, leave it plugged in and it give of this ultra sound

1 hour ago, Mises said:

My wife bought one of these and I said, "no way will this do anything."  Problem is our electric bills have gone down. The pool pump is still timed the same and we rarely use aircon anyway so I can't explain it but I still think it is just correlation not causation and this is how such devices are claimed to work - anecdotal unscientific evidence.

About 30 years ago in the UK there was a black box 100mm x 100mm x 100mm available on the black market. This device had 2 wires which you inserted next to the wires entering your meter and it would actually run the meter disc (remember those?) backwards at low consumption so the technology is possible but you could not just plug it in to a socket, it had to be direct to the meter.  Our meter is 25m away from the property and is 3 phase so again I say it wont work plugged in to 1 phase 25m away.

Mind you if it did work the electric authority would hardly admit it.

Re your bills going down. If you use air-con the weather is a few degrees cooler so your compressor, and the compressors on your fridge and maybe freezer aren't working so hard.

Maybe a bit windier so not so much use of the fan etc.

2 hours ago, Mises said:

These small LEDs use less than 0.02W so even if you had 20 on all month it would cost less than 2 baht.  That is the beauty of LED lighting, it is almost free, a typical 5W LED on 12 hours a day will only cost 9 baht a month compared to a 50W halogen that will cost 90 baht a month and heat the room, not a good thing here.  However, all the devices with the red stand-by LEDs will have a transformer running so the cost will actually be more but it is still insignificant.

correct, so the original comment I call rubbish was in fact just that - total rubbish

2 hours ago, anterian said:

If you have reactive loads, motors and transformers, then PF correction can save you money. However the correction has to be immediate to the device, not a some remote location. 

https://www.electricaltechnology.org/2013/10/advantages-of-power-factor-improvement-and-correction.html

if you limit the efficiency of something that uses electricity then this could very easily have the opposite effect, this comes down to how good a design the appliance has in the first place

Everything you do with electricity uses energy - how efficient that energy is used depends on a lot of factors, domestic appliances are tested under a controlled environment - where you place your fridge in your house may not be the most efficient use of that device but that has nothing to do with the actual electricity usage the appliance uses when active 

4 hours ago, Just Weird said:

It's not rubbish, do you think that they do not use any electricity?  He did say "If you have enough of them..."

Yes they use electricity. 

About 1/4 of a watt. 

So you would need 4,000 of the power boards to consume 1,000 watts. 

That would cost you about 6 baht for each hour you have all of them on. 

9 hours ago, giddyup said:

Of course it's fake, the same as those insect repellents that plug into a power point. There seems to be zero scrutiny of any product advertised on Thai television. I remember seeing an ad for underpants that had some magnets sown into the crotch that were supposed to improve your sexual performance.

Not like bomb detectors, they do a great job according to the military experts. 

9 hours ago, giddyup said:

Of course it's fake, the same as those insect repellents that plug into a power point. There seems to be zero scrutiny of any product advertised on Thai television. I remember seeing an ad for underpants that had some magnets sown into the crotch that were supposed to improve your sexual performance.

Were they chick magnets ?

9 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Yes ,a 2 ft one ????.....That the people at the Electrical Authority don't know their LED from

their fluorescence ....says it all,

regards Worgeordie 

What country uses Black for the live feed, except Thailand. 

Says a lot for the PEA.

The device is labelled "power Factor saver" however a device so small, even if it did provide reactive power would provide immeasurable results.

In any case, electricity is billed in kWh and not kvah so any benefit would be to the grid capacity.

Maybe one of our TV Elect Eng's can comment as my understanding is that even large scale PF correction would have little or no effect when power is charged by the kWh?

57 minutes ago, Reigntax said:

The device is labelled "power Factor saver" however a device so small, even if it did provide reactive power would provide immeasurable results.

In any case, electricity is billed in kWh and not kvah so any benefit would be to the grid capacity.

Maybe one of our TV Elect Eng's can comment as my understanding is that even large scale PF correction would have little or no effect when power is charged by the kWh?

Came across a lengthy article a few days back that explained in detail the "workings" of a real power factor correction wiz-bang gizmo, unfortunately not being versed in electrics a lot of it went over my head, but in essence they said that FC correction is useful and has its role in certain areas - but confirmed your understanding, no change in kWh costs. 

6 hours ago, smedly said:

another scam, if you have 50mbs connection that is what you get, if you have a really weak signal in some remote part of your house you can connect an extender via LAN cable

I spray 'lectron lube in my router when it slows down. 

image.png.cf21b2ba2bbd7b693f8ff22869087cef.png

1 hour ago, Reigntax said:

Right you are.  In industrial settings, billing may be for kVA or kVAR (volt amperes reactive) rather than kWH.  If you have reactive loads like big motors, power factor correction can reduce the current required which may allow smaller breakers, wiring and transformers.

6 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

People did not really need to be told, same for those internet speed boosters which actually cut the speed and are merely signal extenders, and the so called mosquito killer lights which do nothing of the sort.

The mosquito killers do work. It is advisable to buy one with quite a big surface. The 365nm light tubes definitely are attracting mosquitoes. When I started using this device, I caught around 50 mosquitoes within one week. Now I clean it out every two weeks. The amount of these ..ckers have decreased significantly since.

1 hour ago, fxe1200 said:

The mosquito killers do work. It is advisable to buy one with quite a big surface. The 365nm light tubes definitely are attracting mosquitoes. When I started using this device, I caught around 50 mosquitoes within one week. Now I clean it out every two weeks. The amount of these ..ckers have decreased significantly since.

50 mozzies in a week, wow! That should decimate the mosquito population in no time at all.

Archived