RTP warns tourists about the dangers of Thailand after tourism minister says it's "completely safe"

webfact

12 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

That must have been one of those Chinese people who don't go out drinking and don't spend money (as according to 90% of TVF posters).

12 hours ago, 1duckyboy said:

About time for a feel good story of a taxi driver returning 4,000,000 to a tourist who left it in his cab. Amazing how these things always balance out.

The Thais will pay some Chinese bloke with many missing teeth to take pictures while claiming a taxi driver returned 18 million Baht he accidentally forgot in the taxi. 

18 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Well that has to go down as one of the most stupid statements ever uttered, flying in the face of all of the evidence and statistics as it does. One wonders whether it is pure idiocy, or the ability to tell outright falsehoods with a straight face that gets these people the job.

The safest country I have lived  drank  caroused  partied  wanderd the streets late at night..m in..

more than 60 countries.

The UK and most of Europe is really violent and the USA is off the charts. Thailand very mellow.

17 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Or was the Chinese possibly an Indonesian national of Chinese descent and the loss amounted to 3.6 million RUPEES?

Indonesian currency is rupiah (US$1 = 14,151.1 IDR. so 3.8 million is about $268), whilst 3.8 million rupees is nearly $53,000

Anyone who goes out and gets that inebriated is irresponsible. There isn't a country on this planet where you are not an easy mark in that condition.  I have lived in Thsiland for years and never feel my safety and possessions are in danger, but I also keep my wits about me.

17 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

You forgot the perils of the footpath too.

Don't even mention balconies.

From what I have seen in Jomtien footpaths are just a smaller road for motorbikes ! This must be correct because the motorbikes travel in both directions all day and night RIGHT IN FRONT OF A FULLY MANNED POLICE BOX !

19 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

What the heck did this Chinese bloke have on him? Decked out in real diamonds? Platinum-plated sneakers? Treasury bonds in his rucksack? Did the taxi driver also pull all his 24K gold teeth before escaping?

On second thought, someone might be trying to pull a giant scam.

Or was the Chinese possibly an Indonesian national of Chinese descent and the loss amounted to 3.6 million RUPEES?

and how can he be sure that is was a taxi-driver, maybe the car unloaded him in front of the destination he had asked for.
He then passed out and someone else "found" a bag beside him ...

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 1:45 PM, Misterwhisper said:

What the heck did this Chinese bloke have on him? Decked out in real diamonds? Platinum-plated sneakers? Treasury bonds in his rucksack? Did the taxi driver also pull all his 24K gold teeth before escaping?

On second thought, someone might be trying to pull a giant scam.

"Or was the Chinese possibly an Indonesian national of Chinese descent and the loss amounted to 3.6 million RUPEES? "

If you are going to try to be a smart <deleted>, at least get it right. The Rupee is Indian currency, the currency of Indonesia is the Rupiah

I have been lucky in Thailand , in Bangkok, I am pretty safe as I stay with

my Thai relatives, in Jomtien Beach I stay at a couple of good guest houses, and

in Hua Hin I have stayed at some good guest houses as well. My travel clothes are

well used and not fancy, and I do not wear any fancy jewels. Drink only beer and 

order new bottles of it after I use the toilet, less chance to get any additives in the

drink that way. This Chinese guy is lucky he only lost money and not his life.

Chok Dee,  Good Luck.

Geezer

On 9/5/2019 at 10:40 AM, webfact said:

Klong Tan police said the tourist did not remember the number of the cab.

He fell asleep and recovered his senses to find himself lying next to the C Ekkamai condominium in Ekkamai Soi 12.

Valuables worth 3,621,000 were missing and he went to Klong Tan police. 

It was not reported exactly what was missing.

That 3.621 million baht of missing valuables doesn't include the brain that obviously went missing a bit earlier.

On 9/5/2019 at 3:54 PM, spidermike007 said:

The tourism minister lives in a different world than most of us do. He lives in an Ivory Tower, and is completely shielded from the world we live in. He has no idea about the reality of life on the ground. He just says stuff, in a hapless effort to promote tourism, without even the pale shadow of consequence. As of four years ago, these assets were just a partial list of what he has disclosed.

Holdings of Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn  
Name Equities % Valuation
th.png PTG Energy PCL (PTG) 65,650,000 3.93% 17,340,135 USD
th.png AMA Marine PCL (AMAm) 78,240,000 15.1% 10,861,277 USD
th.png AMA Marine PCL (AMA)
Marine Freight & Logistics 
78,240,000 15.1% 10,861,277 USD

https://www.marketscreener.com/business-leaders/Phiphat-Ratchakitprakarn-0GH3G1-E/biography/

Looking at those numbers, does anyone have any clue as to how he became a government minister?

20 hours ago, Mavideol said:

by having the "right" friends at the right places at the right time

Oh... so the money doesn't factor into it? Always happy to learn that it's all democratic, legal and above board here.

NB: I am still not happy.

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Oh... so the money doesn't factor into it? Always happy to learn that it's all democratic, legal and above board here.

NB: I am still not happy.

The money can be factored in if it is properly handled ????

I would say that Thailand is like many other countries but just like those countries you have to be diligent and do not go somewhere that you may face danger, lonely soi with minimal lighting etc etc. The mu-ban that i stay in has had several homes broken into and one was on the main drive 50m from the so called security. guess this can happen anywhere but the security check every hour and their are cameras all over the place kinda makes you wonder

1 hour ago, kevinmartyn said:

I would say that Thailand is like many other countries but just like those countries you have to be diligent and do not go somewhere that you may face danger, lonely soi with minimal lighting etc etc. The mu-ban that i stay in has had several homes broken into and one was on the main drive 50m from the so called security. guess this can happen anywhere but the security check every hour and their are cameras all over the place kinda makes you wonder

bars on windows on most houses, i've had break in, we only had bars on the first floor not the second floor, so a robber climbed up and went in, and 2 bikes stolen in 3 years, robbery and snatch attempts not far from our house (live in the darkside ) 

Archived