Success In Vientiane - 4th Education Visa Granted

Crazy Noobie

Went to Vientiane to apply for my 4th Education Visa and was successful 100%. Before going I heard all of these bad things, so I tried to prepare for everything. I dressed properly, I did not ware shorts or a t-shirt. Had a long sleeve dress shirt on. Included with my paperwork, I had two months bank statements, copy of my lease, copies of my health insurance, copy of my 5-year Thai driver's and motocycle license, plus all of the regular paperwork that is required. Of course the line I was in was for the older lady that has a bad repartition for disapproving everyone. I spoke nothing but Thai to her. Since this was my 4th Education Visa, she asked for a copy of my grades for the year I just completed, which I obtained and gave to her. She gave me the paper to come back tomorrow. Returned on the second day and when I was in line they called out my number and said I had to take a test to see how good I spoke Thai and how good I could read Thai. No problem for me, as for the three years of learning Thai, I went to all of the classes and I did learn how to read, write and speak Thai. So I had no problem with their test at all, passed with flying colors. Then I waited, and they gave me my passport with their approval. My first three Education Visa's were learning Thai language and this Education Visa was for Hand2Hand Combat here in Chiang Mai. So bottom line, my advice is prepare for anything they can throw at you, look the part, speak nothing but Thai and everything should go okay.

While I'm happy to hear that it worked out fine, that they tested your Thai language skills when you applied for an education visa for hand to hand combat is a complete joke. Don't they have any punching bags installed at the consulate section to conduct a proper test?

[quote post="14561760" timestamp="1568262564" name="Caldera" quote)

that they tested your Thai language skills when you applied for an education visa for hand to hand combat is a complete joke. Quote)

Not at all, it verifies the previous Ed Visa’s taught.

You want them to give hand to hand test when course not yet taken?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

So the maximum number of years that we can learn Thai in Thailand is 3 years?

Then we have to continue with 'hand-to-hand' in Thailand for x years?

I met some people studying 'hand-to-hand' and it's really a joke because there are no physical combat and is mostly theory. It's more like an ed visa mill.

Furthermore, you don't go to Thailand to learn combat skills (with their limited English) when there are many other countries that do it better.

3 hours ago, Caldera said:

While I'm happy to hear that it worked out fine, that they tested your Thai language skills when you applied for an education visa for hand to hand combat is a complete joke. Don't they have any punching bags installed at the consulate section to conduct a proper test?

Yes and no

He has been on a ED for learning Thai - they tested him to see if could really speak Thai and had indeed been attending classes before being satisfied that he had and then issuing him a new visa

If he had failed that test he wouldn't have got his new visa

53 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

Yes and no

He has been on a ED for learning Thai - they tested him to see if could really speak Thai and had indeed been attending classes before being satisfied that he had and then issuing him a new visa

I wonder how easy or difficult the Thai test is?

If it is of elementary level, then it shouldn't be a problem.

1 hour ago, darrendsd said:

Yes and no

My problem is that the concept of having a consular officer test an applicant's skills in their field of study is ridiculous. What would they have done if the OP's previous visa had been issued for studying semiconductor physics?

37 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

They are getting a visa to study Thai, which is clearly in the realm of the Thai consulate ability.

Nobody doubts that they have that ability. It's just a nonsensical process and the result of the Ministry of Education failing to do its job.

3 hours ago, Caldera said:

Nobody doubts that they have that ability. It's just a nonsensical process and the result of the Ministry of Education failing to do its job.

Thailand should really have a standardized testing system like English IELTS equivalent so that the results speak for themselves and immigration officers don't need to do the testing themselves which can be quite subjective.

15 hours ago, EricTh said:

Furthermore, you don't go to Thailand to learn combat skills (with their limited English) when there are many other countries that do it better.

One of my favorite quotes :

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.

Everybody's got plans... until they get hit.

Mike Tyson

tyson.jpg

22 hours ago, EricTh said:

So the maximum number of years that we can learn Thai in Thailand is 3 years?

Then we have to continue with 'hand-to-hand' in Thailand for x years?

I met some people studying 'hand-to-hand' and it's really a joke because there are no physical combat and is mostly theory. It's more like an ed visa mill.

I have a friend that has been doing ED Language for 12 years

Archived