BANGKOK
webfact

Father issues zebra crossing warning after daughter 9 mown down outside her school

the dangers in TIT are the zebra's

better they are NONE

gives false sense of nothingnesss

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

Where in many other countries around the world zebra crossing is a must give way, in Thailand it's an advisory and up to the driver discretion to stop or not...

And thank god for that. Sidewalks arefor pedestrians, roads are for motorized vehicles.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

"Nong Nine" was crossing the road and the motorcycle fled the scene. She suffered a broken ankle and has to wear plaster for two weeks. 

Waiting for the picture with the rest of the family, with Nong-one, Nong-two,Nong-three, Nong-Four , Nong-five.......................

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, bdenner said:

Just a waste of paint! Damned if you stop and damned if you don't. The effin idiot behind is just as likely to overtake you and collect the pedrestion anyway.

My thoughts exactly everytime I stop to let people cross. I look both side mirrors waiting for the <deleted> (usually a motorcycle) driver to cause havoc 😬

3 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

Though I've lived in Thailand for 30 years and know the drill well, I have of late been getting a bit cantankerous about pedestrian lights and have been putting my life on the line. For example, I cross Pattaya Beach Rd quite often these days to walk along the beach. I press the walk button, and when the lights change I cross. If a vehicle bears down on me and is either going too fast or looks likely not to stop, I stand my ground and don't move. It's resulted in some close calls and a lot of abuse, but stuff it, I'm sick of the callous attitudes of drivers. If I get knocked down, I expect TV members to send me chocolates. Save the flowers for the funeral.

Maybe carry a long iron bar while you cross, if they fail to stop, at least it would known off the bikers and damage the cars too

• Like 1

1. I had written earlier about Thai's not stopping at Zebra crossing. It's normal for Thai's not to stop at Zebra Crossing.
  2. Question arises how many times he has stopped at Zebra crossing?

My prayers are with the girl to have speedy recovery and a lesson to this Dad to take care of the baby and make her understand that she is not in United Kingdom. 

poor little girl. Glad she wasn't killed! Hope her pin heals fast n well. Hope someone, somehow dobs the bum in who hit her and didn't stop.

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Now do all those people who don't stop don't read the news or the forums?

NO!

• Like 1

When is enough enough .....

Edited by mok199

What's scarier than stopping at zebra crossings in a car with potential idiots bearing down on you is stopping for pedestrians when out as a motorcyclist. Another potential method of meeting your maker in the land of smiles. 

I had the almost experience in Chiangmai, I was crossing the Zebra cross, the motor cycle almsot ran me down, I managed to chase the rider and told him he was wrong and almsot killed me, his answer was that he had done nothing wrong and what was the problem. You see they did not want to stop or they dont even know they should stop.

That is the Government's fault. No road education and no police to enforce the law

"Look right, look left, and look right again." Then proceed with caution.

5 hours ago, mok199 said:

When is enough enough .....

The question with no answer .... 

It seems impossible to believe that there can be so many supposedly educated people with so little regard for the lives of their children. But then it's not just the Thais who are so callous - many members of TV are equally so. When the Bkk authorities started clearing street stalls off pavements, I weighed into the argument and said it was a great thing because I was tired of seeing little kids being forced to walk on the roads as there was no space on the footpaths. Many TV members decried my comments - all for their own pathetic reasons (they're an institution; provide entertainment for tourists; add colour and vibrancy; etc). 

The kids' welfare must always be first and foremost. But "enough is enough" is not a reality here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1