Father issues zebra crossing warning after daughter 9 mown down outside her school

webfact

People will only act change when they hit with heavy fines.

Probably they can install small tiny flickering lights on the road along the zebra crossing 10 meters away.

Place many of the flashing lights for more awareness. 

So that it can alert motorists to drive slowly.

Like when we saw police check-point with lights far away,

we start to slow down in our pace.

22 hours ago, ezzra said:

Where in many other countries around the world zebra crossing is a must give way, in Thailand it's an advisory and up to the driver discretion to stop or not...

A cop tried to ride his bike in front of me across one. Suffice to say I didn't stop. 

Perhaps a 30 cm high speed hump the width of the crossing would work. At least vehicles would slow down a little. 

40 minutes ago, GoodieAfterDark said:

Are there any speed bumps in Thailand?

There are lots of speed bumps..but they don't stop any idiot, maniac, drunk driver in a 2 tonne 4x4 pickup truck just hurtling over them...the cars and motorbikes may slow down just a bit if they see them in time..the bumps are very often not marked in any way and can be quite difficult to see.

1 hour ago, GoodieAfterDark said:

Are there any speed bumps in Thailand? There are two speed bumps not far from where I live. Speed limit is 15 mph. 

There are many. And maybe placing them on both sides of zebra crossings would make a difference.

Anyone who just walks out onto a zebra crossing is a little dumb. Even back home I don't just walk out onto zebra crossings, I wait, ensure that the cars are stopping and then cross when it's safe. Same rules apply in Thailand except you got to start slowly edging out into the road to encourage cars to stop and always look out for over and under taking scooters, sometimes they're impossible to see if Somchai in his Fortuner has 100% black out windows. Too many people in Thailand just run out over the road without looking. Zero education on the roads and zero education on how to cross them. Chinese are the same too.

Had a jerk nudge me with their bumper awhile back, making a turn on red over a zebra crossing.

I'm 65, disabled, and have died a couple of times already in ambulance and on operating table. I sorta don't give a flying you know what anymore.

I creased their hood pretty well with my metal cane. They stopped until I was all the way across. Not even a beep after.

I'm guessing the thought "Big crazy farang with metal stick! Better be careful. ????"

5 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

I'm guessing something shorter - two syllables - or shorter still, maybe see you next Tuesday

Next Tuesday I was still a big crazy farang with a metal stick, and the motobite taxi guys on the corner like me. ????

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 12:44 PM, owl sees all said:

One of the worst aspects of the road abuses. 

There was an accident outside my daughter's school earlier this year. Three people were injured when a m/c hit a group kids crossing the road on the crossing. The culprits; a 13 year old, with 2 school mates passengers from the next school along.

The police could do a lot to stop this flagrant disregard for the road law, but hardly seen interested. Being strangely missing between 3-30 and 4-30 pm, when the children turn out.

I find myself, that stopping hardly helps things and can sometimes make things worse. M/cs simply overtake me and cars/pick-ups/trucks etc coming in the other direction blatantly ignoring anyone who tries to cross the road. 

I suggest a barrier coming down each side of the road like on train crossings.

Your country, your problem to solve.  

If mai pen rai isn't working for you and you want your children to be safe from injury by idiot motorists, then you and all the other parents take to streets and get your people to change their behavior.  
Good luck.

Archived