Expats keeping a phone number in their citizenship country (aka MagicJack not working).

We had a great deal of difficulty setting up an IRS account for my wife.  We still were living in USA and both of us had mobile service but under my name only.   IRS would not accept her mobile number.  Even after the mobile provider switched the account to her name the IRS would not approve her sign up.  There was a snail mail process to use but it was shut down for COVID mitigation.   Finally months later she got approval, just before we moved to Chiang Mai.

The IRS now uses a mobile app to provide 2FA codes.   Once account is created you no longer need a US phone #.  App is called IRS2GO.

On 1/25/2021 at 9:17 PM, JimmyJ said:

Am I the only one paying magicJack an annual renewal fee for using the app?

I don't have a landline and can't imagine ever getting one so the phone connector is useless to me unless I want to attach it to my computer but I would never feel comfortable giving that access to that company.

I've had the phone app with the same # for years and always pay - I'm sure I'd been told or read that it is necessary to keep one's number.

But someone on another forum stated he's had his for years and has never paid them anything - just did the free download once and that is it.

It's still my primary # so can't lose it.

Hi Jimmy! I am very late to this thread...

Anyway a longtime MJ user w/Canadian number. We got our MJ in 2006 and the App whenever it was released (2012-2013 I think). The MJ dongle is connected to a Mac computer and Panasonic wireless handset. We pay the advertised fees annually, plus a premium for a Canadian number. Never had a problem with this set-up, but as you have noted, no SMS/texting available. The MJapp has been installed on Apple, Android, and Google phones with few issues. But, again, as you have noted - no short messages such as bank codes etc... All the institutions we deal with which require SMS verification numbers have happily sent them to my +66 Thai number.

Don't know how much help that is...

• Like 1

I ended up paying the annual MJ fee as always - about $45 USD total bill.

Decided it is not worth risking losing my MJ #.

I keep Ultramobile/Paygo as a backup, but I expect to cancel in about a year after the funds in my account's wallet are used up.

TextNow works as a backup when my only option is to receive a shortcode text.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 2
5 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

IRS2Go mbile app. is used to check on a refund, make payments, get tax help.

Yes, I should have stated IRS2GO has many uses.  Tapping on the “Key” icon takes the user to the Security function which displays a 6 digit code used to verify your logon.  The code has a lifespan of 1 minute. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

IRS2Go mbile app. is used to check on a refund, make payments, get tax help. Works fine for me, but I don't have any sort of speciallized account.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs2goapp

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=gov.irs&referrer=utm_source%3DIRSpup%26utm_medium%3Dlanding-page

Never heard of it before!  Thanks for the mention...

5 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Do you already have an IRS account established?

I can no longer remember all the obstacles my wife and I encountered setting up account access for both of us.  We completed it all before losing our US mobile numbers.  Perhaps our phones are permanently linked through the mobile app to our IRS accounts to provide the access keys.

On 3/21/2021 at 4:26 PM, gamb00ler said:

Yes, I should have stated IRS2GO has many uses.  Tapping on the “Key” icon takes the user to the Security function which displays a 6 digit code used to verify your logon.  The code has a lifespan of 1 minute. 

Can you explain this more?    Does this bypass the requirement to receive the 6 digit 2FA logon code? 

I have an IRS online acct....logon via my computer....get 2FA logon code each time to my Google Voice number.   So, are you saying by using the Key icon on the phone app I could then use the code provided from the app to logon onto my acct instead of the 2FA code sent via mobile text---that is, no need to receive the 2FA via mobile number.

I reviewed the explanation of the Key icon security (a.k.a., Secure Access) and I didn't see anything where this would replace the 2FA code via mobile...it just seems to be "another" layer of security....like a second code on top of the 2FA code via mobile.

5 hours ago, Pib said:

Can you explain this more?    Does this bypass the requirement to receive the 6 digit 2FA logon code? 

I have an IRS online acct....logon via my computer....get 2FA logon code each time to my Google Voice number.   So, are you saying by using the Key icon on the phone app I could then use the code provided from the app to logon onto my acct instead of the 2FA code sent via mobile text---that is, no need to receive the 2FA via mobile number.

I reviewed the explanation of the Key icon security (a.k.a., Secure Access) and I didn't see anything where this would replace the 2FA code via mobile...it just seems to be "another" layer of security....like a second code on top of the 2FA code via mobile.

Yes, IRS2GO has completely removed the need for a phone number capable of receiving a 2FA login code for both my wife and I.

After entering account name and password the IRS logon page then asks for the code that is displayed by the IRS2GO app under the Security option selected by tapping the key icon.

2 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

Yes, IRS2GO has completely removed the need for a phone number capable of receiving a 2FA login code for both my wife and I.

After entering account name and password the IRS logon page then asks for the code that is displayed by the IRS2GO app under the Security option selected by tapping the key icon.

OK, with your info above and looking at my IRS online acct Profile I now see where you can setup the IRS2Go app as an authenticator...will be married to my one each smartphone.   

I did not follow thru in setting it up because I got the impression from the setup instructions within my IRS profile that when selecting the IRS2Go app authenticator method that the IRS would no longer offer you the option to send the code to your mobile number.  Is that correct?   Are you now only offered the IRS2Go app option to generate the security code or do they "also" offer to send it to your mobile number?

If they do not offer the option to send to your mobile number anymore (which is my Google Voice number) then I would rather stick to just the mobile number option especially since I have GV setup to relay all texts to my email address also.....or said another way I don't even really need my phone to login from my computer as I can access my GV inbox and/or my email inbox from my computer....zero need to have my smartphone.

Thanks.

• Thanks 1
54 minutes ago, Pib said:

OK, with your info above and looking at my IRS online acct Profile I now see where you can setup the IRS2Go app as an authenticator...will be married to my one each smartphone.   

I did not follow thru in setting it up because I got the impression from the setup instructions within my IRS profile that when selecting the IRS2Go app authenticator method that the IRS would no longer offer you the option to send the code to your mobile number.  Is that correct?   Are you now only offered the IRS2Go app option to generate the security code or do they "also" offer to send it to your mobile number?

If they do not offer the option to send to your mobile number anymore (which is my Google Voice number) then I would rather stick to just the mobile number option especially since I have GV setup to relay all texts to my email address also.....or said another way I don't even really need my phone to login from my computer as I can access my GV inbox and/or my email inbox from my computer....zero need to have my smartphone.

Thanks.

I’m unsure if you would have the option to undo the switchover to using IRS2GO.  I’m currently traveling but will investigate if I can switch to using my GV number when I’m back home on Mon/Tue.  I’m more competent using my desktop vs mobile.

18 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

I’m unsure if you would have the option to undo the switchover to using IRS2GO.  I’m currently traveling but will investigate if I can switch to using my GV number when I’m back home on Mon/Tue.  I’m more competent using my desktop vs mobile.

Thanks.   Much appreciated. 

I'm gun-shy now with some IRS online acct options as some instructions they give are vague....can be a worm-on-a-hook.   Last year I was messing around with the "IP PIN" option, clicked a link that I thought would provide me more info & ask me one more time if I want an IP PIN, but NOOOOoooooo....it issued me an IP PIN and enrolled me into their IP PIN program....I "opted-in" to use their own words.    And right now when you opt-in for an IP PIN you can not opt-out....kinda like you can check into the hotel but never check out.....so, this means you "must" obtain a new IP PIN for each tax year....and if for some reason you can't get that IP PIN each year it will prevent you from efiling; will have to use snail mail for your return.

However, the IRS did open up the IP PIN program to everyone this year/2021 (up until last year it was limited to folks with addresses in certain states/locations) and their recent announcement they said they are planning/hoping to offer an Opt-out option in 2022 which I will probably do.  

Yeap, some of the IRS online acct options/instructions are vague...can lead you to places you didn't want to go. 

Edited by Pib

After returning home, I logged into my IRS account to follow up on Pib's questions about 
IRS2GO and/or use of US phone number to receive 2FA codes via SMS.

I could not see any option within the IRS web pages that would allow me to receive future 2FA codes via my registered mobile number instead of using IRS2GO without discontinuing my use of IRS2GO.

I made a screen capture of the relevant page from my IRS account.

IRS still has my old US T-Mobile phone number stored on my account.

The IRS page lists 2 actions I can take: 

- move my IRS2GO app to a different mobile device

- discontinue using IRS2GO

Like Pib, I'm scared to break something if I make some change that would be difficult or impossible to change without a valid US based mobile number.

I didn't explore further.

IRS2GO.jpg

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Like 1

gamb00ler,

Thanks.   Yea, it seems the IRS is not very cooperative in clearly explaining options.....like if you can opt-out, do a u-turn, etc., to revert back to a previous way. 

Kinda like what happened to me with the IP PIN program which hooked me when I just dipped my toe into the IP PIN waters thinking I could easily pull my toes back out....but no!   Kinda like the Spider and Fly poem partially quoted below.

“Will you walk into my parlour?” said the Spider (IRS) to the Fly,
“‘Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;

“Oh no, no,” said the little Fly, “to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair can ne’er come down again.”

“Sweet creature!” said the Spider, “you’re witty and you’re wise,
How handsome are your gauzy wings, how brilliant are your eyes!

Alas, alas! how very soon this silly little Fly,
Hearing his wily, flattering words, came slowly flitting by;
With buzzing wings she hung aloft, then near and nearer drew,
Thinking only of her brilliant eyes, and green and purple hue–
Thinking only of her crested head–poor foolish thing! At last,
Up jumped the cunning Spider, and fiercely held her fast.
He dragged her up his winding stair, into his dismal den,
Within his little parlour–but she ne’er came out again!

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2021 at 7:07 PM, Pib said:

Above is a partial quote of my earlier post on US Mobile...and where I said for my first month  for texting purposes I chose an ala carte plan of 75 talk minutes and 50 texts which with fees/taxes totals $7.07/month....this was the lowest number of talk & text I could choose.  But I was thinking for the following billing month  which begin mid Feb to switch to just 50 texts which with fees/taxes totals $4.48. 

While surfing around in my USM online acct I noticed there is a "snooze" function where you can basically put your number to sleep and only pay $2.98/month until you reactivate the acct....this consists of the USM $2 service fee and a $0.98 regulatory fee.  As I'm using USM as a backup to a backup mobile number (i.e., piece of mind) I just may put my acct in "snooze" status for the upcoming month(s).   When/if I need to start using the USM number I just reactivate/un-snooze my number.

image.png.943b8b50a9557d385bb7ff5ba1c251d8.png

As FYI/update, this month I did put my US Mobile number into Snooze where you pay $2.98/month to keep the number but you do not have any talk/text/data for that billing month you have the number in Snooze.

However, you can bring it out of Snooze back to whatever plan you choose for the upcoming billing month and to allow use of the number pending your next billing month you can buy some add-on/top-up talk/text/data to get you thru the current month if you need to get the number out of Snooze immediately/today versus waiting for your next billing month to start.

I put the number in Snooze because it's a backup to other mobile numbers the wife and I use for receiving 2FA codes....actually it's a backup to other backups numbers like the $3/month TMobile and UltraMobile SIMs talked earlier in this thread.  Plus, since the US Mobile number did activate outside the U.S. via Wifi Calling mode I just don't want to give it up now....I'll keep it in my mobile number back-up toolbox.  Call it peace-of-mind backup in case of/when my primarily mobile numbers might stop working due to some reason (stuff happens....and usually with little to no notice).

Snapshot from my US Mobile acct....number in Snooze.

image.png.d428a9d3a3e5ca0f4a236c8227eb6ef5.png

Below a quote from the US Mobile website talking how to wake your number from Snooze.

You have now activated Snooze mode. Your monthly cost will only be the monthly service fee + a small amount of tax, and you'll have peace of mind knowing that your phone line is in good hands, if you find yourself in need of services while the line is snoozed you can simply purchase an add on.

To take your account off Snooze, click on all my lines than the number and then click on review my plan>cancel autopay after which you can configure the plans you want for the next cycle or purchase add ons)

US Mobile is a good option since the SIM can be activated outside the U.S. by using Wifi Calling--no mobile connection needed.  Besides, as talked earlier in this thread, US Mobile does not provide international roaming via "mobile" connection to support SIM activation via mobile connection....but you can use the number anywhere in the world that you can make a Wifi connection with your phone setup for Wifi Calling also (super, super easy).   

On 4/18/2021 at 11:25 AM, Pib said:

As FYI/update, this month I did put my US Mobile number into Snooze where you pay $2.98/month to keep the number but you do not have any talk/text/data for that billing month you have the number in Snooze.

However, you can bring it out of Snooze back to whatever plan you choose for the upcoming billing month and to allow use of the number pending your next billing month you can buy some add-on/top-up talk/text/data to get you thru the current month if you need to get the number out of Snooze immediately/today versus waiting for your next billing month to start.

I put the number in Snooze because it's a backup to other mobile numbers the wife and I use for receiving 2FA codes....actually it's a backup to other backups numbers like the $3/month TMobile and UltraMobile SIMs talked earlier in this thread.  Plus, since the US Mobile number did activate outside the U.S. via Wifi Calling mode I just don't want to give it up now....I'll keep it in my mobile number back-up toolbox.  Call it peace-of-mind backup in case of/when my primarily mobile numbers might stop working due to some reason (stuff happens....and usually with little to no notice).

Snapshot from my US Mobile acct....number in Snooze.

image.png.d428a9d3a3e5ca0f4a236c8227eb6ef5.png

Below a quote from the US Mobile website talking how to wake your number from Snooze.

US Mobile is a good option since the SIM can be activated outside the U.S. by using Wifi Calling--no mobile connection needed.  Besides, as talked earlier in this thread, US Mobile does not provide international roaming via "mobile" connection to support SIM activation via mobile connection....but you can use the number anywhere in the world that you can make a Wifi connection with your phone setup for Wifi Calling also (super, super easy).   

I find this option very attractive,especially when you mentioned peace of mind! I’m currently using a Alcatel flip phone ,gsm Lte that I purchased in the states and I’m using Mintmobile for a carrier.I noticed  US mobile sells a NUu f4l flip phone and free sim with the similar properties as my Alcatel !

Do you think it’s possible to buy one of these online and have it shipped here ?Does Thailand allow phones to be shipped through a express carrier into their country!

4 minutes ago, riclag said:

I find this option very attractive,especially when you mentioned peace of mind! I’m currently using a Alcatel flip phone ,gsm Lte that I purchased in the states and I’m using Mintmobile for a carrier.I noticed  US mobile sells a NUu f4l flip phone and free sim with the similar properties as my Alcatel !

Do you think it’s possible to buy one of these online and have it shipped here ?Does Thailand allow phones to be shipped through a express carrier into their country!

I had a new US model smartphone mailed to me in late 2020.   But USPS would not accept it for mailing to Thailand (my sister was mailingng it to me).....USPS said the USPS computer system was showing a restriction to Thailand so the USPS would not accept it for mailing to Thailand....they told the sis that face-to-face at the post office when attempting to ail and they told me the same thing when I called that post office.   But they said I could mail it anywhere that their system didn't show a restriction. 

I ended up having the sis mailed it via USPS to my mail forwarder in Texas where I in turn had it remailed along with some credit cards and other docs to Thailand via FedEx.....no problem    But I did get hit with a 10% import duty and the 7% VAT....but that only totaled Bt389 (approx $$12.50) as I lowballed the phone's value at $49 (actual value about 3 times that)...and the customs slip did identify it as a smartphone made in China....but the Thai customs treated it as a phone made/bought in the U.S. since it was being mailed from the U.S.

The answer is yes, you can have phones mailed to Thailand....but don't be surprised if you get hit with a 10% import duty and 7% VAT assuming you identify it as a phone on the customs slip which I'm sure the online vendor would do.

On 4/21/2021 at 7:53 PM, Pib said:

I had a new US model smartphone mailed to me in late 2020.   But USPS would not accept it for mailing to Thailand (my sister was mailingng it to me).....USPS said the USPS computer system was showing a restriction to Thailand so the USPS would not accept it for mailing to Thailand....they told the sis that face-to-face at the post office when attempting to ail and they told me the same thing when I called that post office.   But they said I could mail it anywhere that their system didn't show a restriction. 

I ended up having the sis mailed it via USPS to my mail forwarder in Texas where I in turn had it remailed along with some credit cards and other docs to Thailand via FedEx.....no problem    But I did get hit with a 10% import duty and the 7% VAT....but that only totaled Bt389 (approx $$12.50) as I lowballed the phone's value at $49 (actual value about 3 times that)...and the customs slip did identify it as a smartphone made in China....but the Thai customs treated it as a phone made/bought in the U.S. since it was being mailed from the U.S.

The answer is yes, you can have phones mailed to Thailand....but don't be surprised if you get hit with a 10% import duty and 7% VAT assuming you identify it as a phone on the customs slip which I'm sure the online vendor would do.

I was informed by US mobile CS, that their service is only good in the states! I told her I wanted to use it while in Thailand , just for  receiving txt bank codes !

Unfortunatly she never offered any options such as wi fi calling which you have mentioned in another previous post!

My concern with wifi calling is that "some" not all institutions sending txt codes won't communicate via  voip technology !

Edited by riclag
1 hour ago, riclag said:

I was informed by US mobile CS, that their service is only good in the states! I told her I wanted to use it while in Thailand , just for  receiving txt bank codes !

Unfortunatly she never offered any options such as wi fi calling which you have mentioned in another previous post!

My concern with wifi calling is that "some" not all institutions sending txt codes won't communicate via  voip technology !

The CS was right for a "mobile" connection; but incorrect for a Wifi Calling connection.    US Mobile implement Wifi Calling capability 15 Jan 2021....read about it at their webpage below with a partial quote from the page talking connect from anywhere---even outside the U.S.

The US Mobile number is a mobile number; not a VOIP number like Google Voice, Magic Jack, TextNow, etc.   And just because you are making your U.S. Mobile connection via Wifi Calling does not change the fact it's still a mobile number.    Just like how I use my UltraMobile numbers by using Wifi Calling to "ensure" I don't incur an extra charge if I was using a UM mobile connection which you can make worldwide like in Thailand.   Using Wifi Calling mode does not turn your mobile number into a VOIP number.

https://www.usmobile.com/blog/introducing-wifi-calling-easy-seamless-connectivity/

Connect Anywhere. Even from outside the US

On 4/21/2021 at 8:23 PM, Pib said:

Just a reminder for anyone who needs a $3/month type U.S. SIM basically for the receipt of 2FA short codes, the UltraMobile (UM) $3/month PayGo SIM is hard to beat (talked earlier in this thread).   I've had two for about a half year now and they have worked fine whenever I check them out....but I still primarily use my TMobile $3/mo. SIM for 2FA short codes since that SIM still works fine.  

But you MUST activate the UM SIM in the U.S. before it will work....repeat, you MUST activate within the U.S....then it can be used worldwide. 

Yes, you can do the "online" activation part from anywhere in the world (i.e., create an online acct, enter the activation code, setup up payment, etc)  but the SIM must make an initial, one time connection to a U.S. mobile tower to complete the activation process.    Think of it as a two part activation process of online setup (which you can do from anywhere using your computer) and allowing the SIM to make it's initial connection to a U.S. cell tower.   If you have a friend/family member in the U.S. who can put the SIM in their unlocked phone to make that initial connection and make a call and text to confirm all works then you will be good to go.  Then have that person mail you the SIM.

Normally the UM $3/month SIM is only sold at select T-Mobile stores (yes, select T-Mobile stores and not UM stores), but for the last six months or so MintMobileAdmin on Ebay has also been selling the UM $3/month SIM....cost is only $13 and includes the first month's service.   See below U.S. Ebay webpage which had the UM SIM as of 21 Apr 2021....they do sell out pretty quickly and then the UM SIM disappears from the MintMobileAdmin seller Ebay page until he restocks.

But I repeat, to complete the UM $3/month SIM activation you MUST activate within the U.S....allow the SIM to make its initial connection to a U.S cell tower....then it's good to work worldwide.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/mintmobileadmin/m.html

image.png.a500387ed7fe1f07f07f0a64a4d9bc3e.png

"But I repeat, to complete the UM $3/month SIM activation you MUST activate within the U.S....allow the SIM to make its initial connection to a U.S cell tower....then it's good to work worldwide."

I assume you are referring to Ultramobile/Paygo.

I was thinking of cancelling my Paygo when my funds in its wallet is gone, assuming I would start another account there if needed.

But if this is correct I may keep paying my ~$40/year for it.

EDIT - Ting is another Ultramobile MVNO.

I'm pretty sure they sent me a replacement SIM which I activated while in 

Thailand - but

I may be "dismembering" this.

Edited by JimmyJ
46 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

"But I repeat, to complete the UM $3/month SIM activation you MUST activate within the U.S....allow the SIM to make its initial connection to a U.S cell tower....then it's good to work worldwide."

I assume you are referring to Ultramobile/Paygo.

I was thinking of cancelling my Paygo when my funds in its wallet is gone, assuming I would start another account there if needed.

But if this is correct I may keep paying my ~$40/year for it.

Thailand - but

Yes, the UM Paygo $3/month SIM....it's basically the successor to the T-Mobile Paygo $3/month SIM. 

From the standpoint of being able to receive 2FA codes via mobile or Wifi Calling connection in Thailand (or pretty much worldwide) with the UM Paygo $3/month SIM you are not going to find a cheaper plan.  

Regarding Ting, last year I had a horror story in dealing with Ting when trying to buy a phone and start service with them which ended in failure (but I won't bore you with the details).  They are now on my sh&t list.   But it was a blessing in disguise as I subsequently got my UM and US Mobile numbers.....three numbers for basically the price of one Ting number on a monthly basis.     While a person could apparently activate a Ting SIM within Thailand several years ago it may not work now based on what Ting CS told me.  And Ting now has a 3 month waiting period after activation before international roaming becomes available on a person's account based on what Ting CS told me and as quoted from their Terms of Agreement below.   With this 3 month period where international roaming will not work I doubt you could make an initial connection outside the U.S. (except maybe by Wifi Calling) to activate a new Ting number....would  need to activate within the U.S. first.  

And the Ting service is going to cost your around $10-$12/month....their cheapest plan "now" for "new activations" is $10/month plus fees/taxes.....kinda expensive if the service is just needed for 2FA short codes and an occasional call.  You are probably still under the legacy plan where you could pick and choose how much talk/text/data to buy each month which allowed a person to lower costs for some months to right around $10/month including taxes/fees by selecting how much talk/text/data you wanted for that month; however, that legacy plan is no longer offered to new customers.  Now they offer fixed package type plans starting at $10/month plus taxes/fees which is probably going to total around $12/month minimum.  

https://ting.com/terms/12

3.6  Roaming While Outside the United States

International roaming is turned off on all new accounts by default. Enabling international roaming as a feature requires a minimum of three months of service, previous usage on your account, and for your account to be in good financial standing.

When you enable international roaming on your account, you are expressing your intent to roam internationally and you agree to pay all charges associated with international roaming. Depending on where you go with your Ting phone, roaming can incur significant charges over and above the regular Ting rate for minutes, messages and megabytes of data used. A better option for international roaming is an unlocked phone and a local prepaid SIM specifically for your destination, a prepaid phone that you purchase when you get there, or a combination of Wi-Fi and a calling or messaging service when needed (e.g., Skype). Ting international roaming rates can be found on our web site.

7 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Thailand - but

Ting is a totally separate service and company from UltraMobile, AFAIK...

However, the one thing they do share is both being MVNOs that run on the T-Mobile network, among others.

I activated my Ting SIM in Thailand, but that was some years ago, so can't say whether that's still viable or not anymore.

----------------------------

PS - On a related matter, just recently, I ordered and received a Tello SIM, another T-Mobile MVNO now, to see if one could activate their service here, since they have some pretty good offers and prices.  And the answer unfortunately seems to be NO!  I tried every which configuration under the sun on two different unlocked Android phones, and couldn't get anything working with them.

So, at this point, I'd add Tello to the list of mobile providers, along with UltraMobile Paygo, that need to be first activated in the U.S.

Although, UltraMobile's own (and more expensive) non-Paygo plans and service CAN be activated in Thailand, just like US Mobile, for anyone looking to start from scratch in Thailand with new U.S. mobile service.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
6 hours ago, Pib said:

Yes, the UM Paygo $3/month SIM....it's basically the successor to the T-Mobile Paygo $3/month SIM. 

From the standpoint of being able to receive 2FA codes via mobile or Wifi Calling connection in Thailand (or pretty much worldwide) with the UM Paygo $3/month SIM you are not going to find a cheaper plan.  

Regarding Ting, last year I had a horror story in dealing with Ting when trying to buy a phone and start service with them which ended in failure (but I won't bore you with the details).  They are now on my sh&t list.   But it was a blessing in disguise as I subsequently got my UM and US Mobile numbers.....three numbers for basically the price of one Ting number on a monthly basis.     While a person could apparently activate a Ting SIM within Thailand several years ago it may not work now based on what Ting CS told me.  And Ting now has a 3 month waiting period after activation before international roaming becomes available on a person's account based on what Ting CS told me and as quoted from their Terms of Agreement below.   With this 3 month period where international roaming will not work I doubt you could make an initial connection outside the U.S. (except maybe by Wifi Calling) to activate a new Ting number....would  need to activate within the U.S. first.  

And the Ting service is going to cost your around $10-$12/month....their cheapest plan "now" for "new activations" is $10/month plus fees/taxes.....kinda expensive if the service is just needed for 2FA short codes and an occasional call.  You are probably still under the legacy plan where you could pick and choose how much talk/text/data to buy each month which allowed a person to lower costs for some months to right around $10/month including taxes/fees by selecting how much talk/text/data you wanted for that month; however, that legacy plan is no longer offered to new customers.  Now they offer fixed package type plans starting at $10/month plus taxes/fees which is probably going to total around $12/month minimum.  

https://ting.com/terms/12

I have Ting, and as you say there's a 3 month waiting period for international calls. My bill usually runs about $20/mo. When receiving a call in Thailand you can't see who's calling, little irritating. Most of my calls are telemarketers trying to buy property. But security codes from banks works great and fast. I believe it's like 30cents/min whether you call or receive calls. I never use it to call out. And you can keep your same cel number.

• Like 1
On 1/26/2021 at 6:44 PM, Pib said:

The T-mobile Paygo $3/month SIM does not work with Wifi Calling based on my testing; only a mobile connection.

I’m a bit confused.

In an earlier post “Testing done using my Ultramobile $3/month SIM” you mentioned “Real world testing was calls/texts sent & received by both Mobile connection and Wifi Calling connections”.

But in this post you are saying that it does not work with wifi calling?

Could you please clarify?

Thank you.

@snowdedbyh2o

The "TM" Paygo $3 SIM (no longer sold) and "UM" Paygo $3 SIM are two different SIMs.  Yes, both use the TM network but TM and UM are different companies and their SIMs have different capabilities/rules.

The UM $3 SIM uses both mobile and Wifi Calling connections, but the TM $3 SIM only uses a  mobile connection.

• Thanks 1