Expats keeping a phone number in their citizenship country (aka MagicJack not working).

On 4/24/2021 at 1:32 PM, mtls2005 said:

Thanks.

Finally decided to get one, ordered today $13.81 for me with sales tax.

My son will activate it then remail it to me here.

SIM received.

Activate by date is generous: May 7, 2022.

Activated, and in the mail to Thailand.

Quite simple.

Now on GV if your bank actually calls you to chat in person -- and this has happened to me a couple of important times -- you get a notification even if they don't leave voice mail.

But if you have voice mail waiting on UM, how are you notified? And unlike GV you don't seem to be able to record your own voice mail greeting on UM.

5 minutes ago, taxout said:

Now on GV if your bank actually calls you to chat in person -- and this has happened to me a couple of important times -- you get a notification even if they don't leave voice mail.

But if you have voice mail waiting on UM, how are you notified? And unlike GV you don't seem to be able to record your own voice mail greeting on UM.

UM gives you a voicemail notice as I have got them.  And you can setup you own greeting.   When first activating UM one of the texts you get will give a number to call (free) to setup voicemail....or when you go into voicemail you will hear instructions on how to do this or that.  Instructions also at UM website.   I just do the "long press 1" approach to reach voicemail.

image.png.c6673957eb3545ac874e8cc30d8d3a21.png

6 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I just checked my U.S. Paypal account, and the only two phone numbers I have entered are my GV number as primary and my MJ number as secondary. And I've had that setup for a long time.... So apparently it's working in my case.

I know I've gone thru a couple authentication challenges with them in the past year or two...I think mainly after I changed VPN providers... And I was able to pass those... I just can't recall at this point whether those were SMS based or another method.

Ditto for me in terms of the two numbers I had loaded were GV and MJ.  And now I have my TM number loaded  But that does not necessarily mean PayPal would still use the either GV or MJ number to send a 2FA code to.  

One of my U.S. banks is that way.  For many years my GV number worked to receive their 2FA codes and general info; but last year although the GV number is still loaded in my online bank profile the bank no longer offers the GV number to send a 2FA code (nor my TextNow number also loaded in my profile)....but they still use the VOIP-based numbers to send me general info/alerts like monthly your statement is available, I used my credit card to buy something, a deposit or withdrawal occurred as I get numerous such texts each month.

HOWEVER, BUT, the VOIP-based number in my profile are no longer offered when a 2FA code is required like to logon or to accomplish certain banking tasks like setting up a new external transfer link where a 2FA code must be sent first to start the process.  Only a real mobile number works/is offerrred which is my TM number I also have in my profile

Edited by Pib
  • 1 month later...

Textnow has changed their policy and now seems to be no longer free for receiving 2FA.

Now they are requiring that you upgrade to their $4.99/year plan.

They are blocking me from receiving 2FA texts.  I am curious how they identify the 2FA texts because I still receive other texts from friends.  Perhaps it is because the source of 2FA sends the texts using a short code address.

I have an old( not smartphone ) phone with 2 sims, one for here and one from the UK, just have a send a txt/sms every 70 or 80 days to keep it alive and you can set up an automatic top up online.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2021 at 8:09 AM, mtls2005 said:

SIM received.

Activate by date is generous: May 7, 2022.

Activated, and in the mail to Thailand.

Quite simple.

Ultra Mobile follow-up....

In a word, Wow.

Very impessive.

Wifi calling (and SMS over WiFi) works perfectly. (Note that ths SIM does seem to roam internationally as I got dinged for some SMSes before I got WiFi calling emabled on the handset.)

SIM was $13 ($13.81 with my tax), from eBay. $3/month gets you 100 minutes of voice, 100 SMSes and 100 MB of data. You can add data packs ( 1 GB, 7 days, $10 ), in case you were to return to the U.S. and need a solution.

SIM ID shows as T-Mobile.

App and web dashboard very easy to use.

10/10, Highly recommended.

Thanks to Pib for highlighting this option.

• Thanks 2

I have T Mobile.  It is $3 USD a month.  It is a prepaid plan.  Now I have a second phone that I keep that Sim Card in and when something like the bank sends an SMS message to verify I open up that phone.  However, if you have only 1 phone you can still have the T Mobile account.  Just don't insert the sim card.  You still have the account which is keeping your phone number.  Just insert it when you want to refill your account about once every three months you put $10 in a prepaid account and they auto charge you.  Or when you want to use the USA telephone number.  Mind you this prepaid plan is limited.  I use Facebook messenger, Line apps to talk to friends.  If I need to dial a USA phone number I use one of the VOIP services where calls are 2 cents per minute. 

3 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Ultra Mobile follow-up....

In a word, Wow.

Very impessive.

Wifi calling (and SMS over WiFi) works perfectly. (Note that ths SIM does seem to roam internationally as I got dinged for some SMSes before I got WiFi calling emabled on the handset.)

SIM was $13 ($13.81 with my tax), from eBay. $3/month gets you 100 minutes of voice, 100 SMSes and 100 MB of data. You can add data packs ( 1 GB, 7 days, $10 ), in case you were to return to the U.S. and need a solution.

SIM ID shows as T-Mobile.

App and web dashboard very easy to use.

10/10, Highly recommended.

Thanks to Pib for highlighting this option.

Did you have a friend in the USA activate it and then send to you in Thailand?

On 5/31/2021 at 1:27 PM, kamalabob2 said:

Has anyone had success in activated for the first time a MINT sim card on their mobile phone in Thailand? My mobile phone IMEI non contract phone meets the requirements on the website. Thank you.

I just downloaded the app.  It has a free 7-day trial, so I activated that, credit card required but by accident I put in an expired one so maybe it doesn't matter.  The eSIM installed, but you have to provide a US address for 9/11.

I didn't try too hard to get the eSIM to connect but it shows no bars.  

It was easy to activate Wi-fi calling and then SMS worked also.

At $15/mo its probably a bit too much unless you need it, in which case it might be a great deal.   Should also add they only seem to allow payment 3 months at a time, so its $45 for 3 months which is a lot more than I need right now.  I would probably do a month just to try it out.

In the "cellular" it shows at Ultra/Mint. Someone mentioned an Ultra 3.99 SIM, my guess is it would work about the same.  I looked on Ultra's webpage though and didn't see anything about eSIM, and they said wifi calling only supported for Android so maybe don't get your hopes up, or get a cheap Android.

If you need some US calls in a pinch this could come in handy with the 7 day trial.  Also remember that you can make Skype calls to toll free numbers in the US for free.

Edited by theWTD
1 hour ago, theWTD said:

I just downloaded the app.  It has a free 7-day trial, so I activated that, credit card required but by accident I put in an expired one so maybe it doesn't matter.  The eSIM installed, but you have to provide a US address for 9/11.

At $15/mo its probably a bit too much unless you need it, in which case it might be a great deal.   Should also add they only seem to allow payment 3 months at a time, so its $45 for 3 months which is a lot more than I need right now.  I would probably do a month just to try it out.

In the "cellular" it shows at Ultra/Mint. Someone mentioned an Ultra 3.99 SIM, my guess is it would work about the same.  I looked on Ultra's webpage though and didn't see anything about eSIM, and they said wifi calling only supported for Android so maybe don't get your hopes up, or get a cheap Android.

If you need some US calls in a pinch this could come in handy with the 7 day trial.  Also remember that you can make Skype calls to toll free numbers in the US for free.

Correct me if I'm wrong but no bars mean no signal from the tower !

Have you tried testing it by sending a txt to it through a voip ?

1 hour ago, theWTD said:

You may have to fund your "international roaming" to get the bars to show. I put $20 in back in August and still have $9 left. It is only $0.10 a minute if you are out of wifi and take/make a call Thailand the US. 

4 hours ago, Thomas J said:

I have T Mobile.  It is $3 USD a month.  It is a prepaid plan. 

Of course this plan went away ages ago, transitioning to Ultra Mobile, but grandfathered for exisiting cusomers. 

2 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Did you have a friend in the USA activate it and then send to you in Thailand?

Yes. It's a little tricky. In my case an SMS with a specific unique URL was sent to the phone. That was forwarded to me while I was setting up the UM dashboard. But the activating partner could do all that, just give you the account PW.

Pretty sure Mint supports WiFi calling, so no need for any bars. True international roaming requires UpRoam to be funded.

I inquired about purchasing a phone from mintmobile

I have a mint mobile account already ,I'm looking to buy a second phone(4g,5g capable  ) from Amazon or ebay exactly the same as the ones on the MM website!

My thinking was,what could go wrong if the phone is the same model and its unlocked !

Just out of curiosity I asked Mintmobile CS about activation,  they couldn't guaranty that their phone would pass the IMEI test!

I'm not a tech geek but shouldn't this company being testing their product before it leaves the warehouse ! CS said good question and that he would present this to his team  mgr. lol

Edited by riclag
43 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Of course this plan went away ages ago, transitioning to Ultra Mobile, but grandfathered for exisiting cusomers. 

I knew it transitioned to Ultra Mobile but yep the $3 plan is gone.  Looks like now $10 plan is still there. 

7 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

Viber

Hey T ,Why viber? Its just free for members .Why not a free one like textfree or talktone apps! I have these,I'm almost positive there's free calling to the states 

Edited by riclag
13 minutes ago, riclag said:

Hey T ,Why viber? Its just free for members .Why not a free one like textfree or talktone apps! I have these,I'm almost positive there's free calling to the states

You could be right.  I have not investigated those.  I rarely call to the USA but I know some services I used in the past did not go through.  Viber always did and its cost was about 2 cents a minute so that is the one I have used several times.  The vast majority of the time, I am talking via video on Facebook messenger, or on Line.  I think Whatsup also has video calling.  

On 4/30/2021 at 10:21 AM, taxout said:

But if you have voice mail waiting on UM, how are you notified?

With Ultra Mobile you receive a notification of a voicemail, for my phone in the top-most notification bar, looks like a tape recorder reel. When you activate the SIM they send you a voicemail, which tells you how to set up your voicemail, handy that. You can record your name, and a presonalized greeting. Very simple.

20 hours ago, Thomas J said:

I knew it transitioned to Ultra Mobile but yep the $3 plan is gone.  Looks like now $10 plan is still there. 

ultramobile.com/paygo has the $3 plan.

I guess you are referring to T-Mobile switching to $10 plan.

6 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

ultramobile.com/paygo has the $3 plan.

I guess you are referring to T-Mobile switching to $10 plan.

Jimmy J ,what did you end up getting  for a phone and plan ?

Edited by riclag
On 6/12/2021 at 5:56 PM, mtls2005 said:

But the activating partner could do all that, just give you the account PW.

Note that the UM SIM comes with one month free (mine did), but it may take more than one month to get delivered from the U.S to Thailand. So you, or your activating partner, should probably add $20 (enough for another six months) at activation.

WiFi Talk & Text can be activated from the web dashboard (under "My Account"). Assume it can be activated from the app as well, though not sure.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.uvnv.ultramobile

18 hours ago, riclag said:

Jimmy J ,what did you end up getting  for a phone and plan ?

Going back to when I started this thread - MJ got the phone app working again, and that still remains my main #.

I got Ultramobile/Paygo as a backup, as well as Ting which I kept live for my 1st 6 months in Asia but found it was overkill and cost more than Ultra Paygo so cancelled it.

I was planning to cancel Paygo once its wallet it empty, but since apparently if I wanted to restart it I (or someone else)  would have to do so in the USA, I will probably keep it active and pay the $3/month as a backup/emergency option.

It is listed currently as my primary # for receiving OTP from 1 or 2 cc's and is listed as a secondary # with all companies.

If MJ is having problems I usually use TextNow.

Someone posted it's necessary to pay a small amount for it which I will probably do if it's a one time charge for a few dollars.

I tried Google Voice but I hate the Google spy machine and I would have had to turn off several privacy options I use and stopped trying to use it and haven't missed it. 

I did get a recent notice that I need to send a message or call or lose it, so I did take care of that just in case it's ever needed.

• Thanks 1
  • 3 months later...

Pib - "One of my U.S. bank phone apps will not function to deposit/scan a check when using a VPN connection to the U.S.....the app comes back and says something don't seem right about your location.  However, the app functions in all of aspects, like bill payment, funds transfer, just everything except for check cashing--whether using a VPN connection or not.   Just that one check cashing function that will not work "if using a VPN connection;" but it will work if "not" using a VPN connection and I've tried using two different VPN service providers and different VPN protocols."

"...the app comes back and says something don't seem right about your location."

Could be the Time setting on your device - You are using a USA VPN but for your Time/Date setting are you using Thailand's?

Edited by JimmyJ