Expats keeping a phone number in their citizenship country (aka MagicJack not working).

18 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I think (but do not know) that you can only use one sim at a time. 

At least I wouldn't need to do the the sim swap dance.  My need to use the UltraMobile sim will be infrequent.

21 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

At least I wouldn't need to do the the sim swap dance.  My need to use the UltraMobile sim will be infrequent.

The issue as I saw it was getting notified as needed in a timely manner. 

Look in to it, I'd like to be wrong on it.

5 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

The issue as I saw it was getting notified as needed in a timely manner. 

Look in to it, I'd like to be wrong on it.

Apparently some mobile phones do allow 2 sims to be active at the same time.  However as an Apple user, I can only use 1 sim at a time.  That shouldn't be too much of a problem as basically the only time I'll need the UltraMobile sim active is when I'm at my desktop doing some financial functions.

If my Thai mobile carrier allows it I could forward my inbound calls to my wife's phone while I'm using the UltraMobile sim for a 2FA message or call.

Info on dual sim phones, etc. found at:

https://www.techadvisor.com/article/723395/best-dual-sim-phone.html

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I just finished setting up my UltraMobile PayGo online account and enabling WiFi calling/texting.

I also set my password to a more secure sequence.  I logged out and back in to check.  Everything was fine so I logged out and then I went on to send a test SMS from my GV account to my new UM #.  That worked fine.  I went to login to UM again but I was rejected with this message:

We're sorry

Whoops! Something went wrong and we weren't able to fix it ourselves. Please try to log in again.

Now UltraMobile won't let me log in unless I use a VPN connection to a US access point.  Even with the VPN running, I still have to accept a 2FA code from them to login.

Anyone else experience new security measure from UM?

Yeap...me too.

I have a couple of UM SIMs.  I always use a U.S. VPN connection to log onto to accts. 

About a week ago both numbers started requiring 2FA for acct logon...it will send a text to the UM number and you must respond by typing  "Allow" and then about 5 seconds later the logon to your acct completes.

Before last week a 2FA challenge was practically never.   I think UM has switched to 2FA for every logon.

• Thumbs Up 1