Hua Hin: Two hundred Illegal hotels apply for amnesty

webfact

4 minutes ago, BestB said:

For small hotel, from memory up

to 50 rooms , no conference or ballroom 50000 for 5 years

price goes up depending on facilities and number of rooms

10,000 per year? thats not so sad I know most of these dont comply with fire and safety regulations, I bet no such things as 1 hour fire retardant materials in Thailand 

On 9/6/2019 at 10:33 AM, ezzra said:

That's the system in this country, first start a business with a complete disregards to the rules and requirements, most of to enacted to ensure safety and fair trading, operate on the margins of the law for as long as you can avoiding paying taxes and other payments and when your numbers are up you will ask for amnesty... and than people wonders why lawlessness and corruption is rife in Thailand...

and set it up in a national park to boot...

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

10,000 per year? thats not so sad I know most of these dont comply with fire and safety regulations, I bet no such things as 1 hour fire retardant materials in Thailand 

Fire and safety is a tiny part of it. Requirements are as such that existing building unless built with hotel approval permit simply can not qualify .

1 hour ago, geoffbezoz said:

Well looking in from the outside one could well consider that if a kick-back become the only means to obtain an amnesty then 200 x say 100,000 baht per hotel would be a nice little earner for someone don't you think ?

Amnesty is easy, just go register but all it gives is extra 2 years and then back to being “illegal” and already registered so an easy target 

I stay in a guest house that was legally built, but the rules have changed and

they are being hassled by the current government. I say Good Luck to them all.

To those that say demolish them,  well , lets start with your house. Oh, What,

you do not agree?

Geezer

2 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

you do not agree?

Geezer

Exactly, meanwhile the scumbags who build resorts in national parks in phuket can keep them and only have to pay a lease to the GOV....

And that's whats wrong here, in the whole of SEA, poor people get exploited to the max and hisos can do whatever they want.

4 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

you do not agree?

Geezer

You are spot on.

only government arguement is it was built legally but not as a guesthouse but a commercial unit , therefore in some insane universe it is illegal and unsafe for daily rental, HOWEVER totally legal and safe for monthly rental . 

On 9/5/2019 at 8:40 PM, seajae said:

if built without any legal approval they should be demolished, they simply waited as long as possible to ask for amnesty so they could increase their profits. The govt needs to crack down on all the illegal traders/businesses operating in Thailand and hit them with massive fines as well, money is all they understand

In general I agree, but if this modern and proper approach is followed, Thailand will quickly jump further into the not inexpensive tourist or expat category.

On 9/7/2019 at 12:03 PM, rickudon said:

Just capitalism at work. The strong destroy their smaller competitors when they get in the way. Tobacco, alcohol, supermarkets - competition not tolerated.

Nothing stopping the "little guy" from running a small guesthouse or hostel. Less than 4 rooms or xx beds (I forgot the exact number). No hotel license needed, hardly any paperwork, probably no tax.

About the hotel license thing, most of the measure that need to be taken to obtain one pertain to fire safety. They make sense. The green space thing is nonsense, I agree.

Also: we're only one hotel fire away from everyone crying foul about poor hotel safety! Then the whole narrative changes and we can hear everyone cry out "something's gotta change".

On 9/6/2019 at 10:51 AM, RotMahKid said:

Maybe that is the reason for you to like Thailand, maybe to work or start something also illegal.

A lot of things in Thailand I like and love, except the criminality, illegal stuff, dishonest and lazy police etc.

Even the smog here in the north during wintertime is caused by illegal fires lighted by farmers & compagnies and no police to handle it.

There are more than enough police in the North to handle the illegal fires plus plenty of army units.

The problem is creating the will to take the action of fining or arresting  the culprits.

I really wonder they manage to find to occupy their day because it’s certainly not proactive policing.

On 9/6/2019 at 10:40 AM, seajae said:

if built without any legal approval they should be demolished, they simply waited as long as possible to ask for amnesty so they could increase their profits. The govt needs to crack down on all the illegal traders/businesses operating in Thailand and hit them with massive fines as well, money is all they understand

They cant crackdown to much to lose

Archived