Man killed by lightning while fishing

webfact

Man killed by lightning while fishing 

By The Nation

800_655ea6f4d9845b6.jpg?v=1567736801

A man was struck and killed by a lightning while fishing from a boat on an irrigation canal in Prachin Buri’s Prachantakham district Thursday night.

The Prachantakham police station was alerted of the incident at 8.30pm.

The victim was identified as Suphan Chantharaphakdee, 52, a resident of Moo 4 village in Tambon Nong Horyor.

His relative, who identified himself only as Niwat, told police that he and Suphan went to fish in the canal near the village in the evening. Niwat said Suphan was on another boat with his nephew.

Niwat said when it started to rain, he covered himself with a canvas sheet. The lightning struck a moment later and the nephew shouted out that Suphan was dead so they came back to the village to alert police.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30375888

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-09-06

RIP , condolences to his family.

Not unusual in a boat, but unusual in a canal with many other high points around,

A few week ago we were fishing  on a 20ft center console open boat,  off the Saint Augustine outlet about eight miles out in open water, A squall came from nowhere and Florida being the world capital of lightning strikes, The sky was lighting up.

A scary situation to say the least. The process in such situation is to lay down at the lowest possible location in the boat. Unfortunately I had to stand up to steer the boat and keep it in the weather as not to  get broad sided and swapped.

I was not a happy camper.

Later on we found out that another boat had divers in the water and one diver had being stuck but fortunately not seriously enough to cause permanent damage or death..

Lightning in a boat is serious business. 

3 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

So that's what is meant by a lightning rod

Got it in one... had a friend way back in time who bought a roach pole.. when they first came on the market, a very long carbon fibre fishing rod, he said watch me I'll be the first to get something, true enough he got the power cables above his head... fast ticket to the next life.

Archived