Thailand drops in ranking of best places for expats - but which country is number 1?

webfact

5 hours ago, 3421abc said:

Not surprised Thailand is just above Morocco. However I am surprised VIETNAM is NUMBER 2!!!!!!!!! My rental contract ends in mid February and I am seriously thinking of moving to HCMC. Great to see Vietnam rising to the top. I tried to move to Taiwan 2 yrs ago butvisa was difficult and I am not a fan of earthquakes.

My visa is up in Nov. And I have already gone to Vietnam and found a very nice 1 bedroom apartment nicely furnish for $275.00 USD per month 

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, wisperone said:

Because the USA is a great country. I'm not knocking Thailand, but they are not even in the same league, 1st world vs 3rd world.  That's why so may people want to migrate there. 

It's the worldwide taxes on income that made me scratch US off. Otherwise a very interesting and varied country, if I was from there, I probably wouldn't bother with anything further than Mexico or Canada. 

And this survey was compiled BEFORE the announcement of higher prices at Thailand's public hospitals for foreign tourists, workers and retirees.

Small wonder the place is haemorrhaging expats at an unprecedented rate.

Thailand has peaked.

Next year, Thailand will be in the 30's, maybe even 40's, and the slide will continue for years to come.

I am stuck with several businesses here, so won't be leaving for a while, but we have bought a place in Australia and still have the home in CA, but as a long term future, Thailand does not really factor in those plans.

I'm sure many people will stick it out, because you can exist quite cheaply in Thailand if you really want to...

First, it had to have 800,000 Baht in the bank for 3 months before renewing your visa, then it was 2months before and 3 months after now it is 800,000baht all the time. Then it was you had to pay A large amount for medical insurance, then came enforcing a 40 old law the tm30 and just last week they said hospital could charge 4 times more for retiree. Next year Thailand could drop from 25 to 67th.

It is very clear that Thailand does not want expats here. The next thing is they will make all expats go clean Thai peoples toilets every day or be fined 5,000 Baht per day.

4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

That is you talking about you.

It has become too expensive for you, the guest.

I still find it quite inexpensive 1/4 of my home country costs.

I did some vegs prices in Aussie this week and vegs sold in small shops that  dont shop at supermarkets are now  the same in OLD as here blue me out  cop that, but man the power and rates is a killer in Aussie and getting worse

1 hour ago, Isaan sailor said:

Take a bow, Bank of Thailand.  Your selfish hogging of Chinese hot money inflows over the last two years has finally come and bit you in the derrière.  Not only expats though.  Your tourism and exports tanking, and now you even have the most expensive rice in all SE Asia.  Still want to be best friends with the ChiComs?  I thought so... 

Hurrah! Todays 'ChiCom' comment. ????

Give my regards to 1969. Halcyon days. Must be great to be still living them.

This is a joke, obviously. They've actually put the ones that are the worst at the top. Italy is said to be almost the worst, but it has just about the best food culture and, in many places, the best climate in the world, as well as the world's best fashion and design, some of the best-looking women, and the best fast cars on the planet. This survey is either a joke, or they only interviewed morons.

1 hour ago, LNKDES1 said:

Agreed! I left the U.S. about 10 yrs ago. When I was back there visiting my brother in San Diego last April, I went down to the Lake Chapala/Puerta Vallarta areas in Mexico. When the retirement bs, TM30 bs, dual pricing bs gets to be too much, the wifey & I are headed there. Beautiful weather & friendly people. We'll see how the wifey likes learning a new language.

Mexico is amazing. I know a lot of people living there and they all love it. Easy immigration too. Unfortunately Mexico gets a bad wrap in the media due to the drug violence that happens in certain areas. On the other hand, that’s a good thing because it keeps people out. 

4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

That is you talking about you.

It has become too expensive for you, the guest.

I still find it quite inexpensive 1/4 of my home country costs.

Its only expensive if your main source of income is coming from abroad. Eg my income is £. 2008 £/thb was 78/£ now 37.4/£ .so every thing I buy is twice as much in £. Cost of living in the period has increased negligently. Also wages have increased. 

Lol. What an absolute load of rubbish. More “cancel culture“ “Safe space” “fake news” “Political correctness” propaganda being pushed by Thai Visa. Honestly, I’ve lived in Rio Brazil, HCM Vietnam. Phuket Thailand, Odessa Ukraine, Medellin Colombia, Mexico City Mexico, and Hawaii USA. Born and raised In Laguna Beach and Beverly Hills, California aka the center of the universe and anyone that disagrees is just jelly jelly. 

None of these places even comes close to Thailand. Some folks are seriously confused. Very happy these tools are leaving. Thailand in 2020 is the greatest place on planet Earth and if you think otherwise it’s because Chads like myself with Beaucoup bucks are taking over your turf. Please leave Thailand if you are poor!!! That is what we are hoping for!! SMDLsrs.

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

Take it with a pinch of salt.

Thailand at 25 is still better than USA at 45 but why do so many people want to migrate to USA?

At today's Baht vs. USD, 30,67, you can live cheaper in some rural areas of the USA.

18 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

TAT as it's best..... nothing to worry, they will have a "good" excuse for the drop on the ranking

Yes i be curious how they will explain and or defend  this significant drop in their ranking and also how all of a sudden Vietnam is shining so brightly with their second place.

Archived