Well-behaved prisoners brought out to clean sewers

Rimmer

Well-behaved prisoners brought out to clean sewers

p3-N-Sept-02-06-Jomtien-sewage.jpg

PATTAYA:--An undisclosed number of well-behaved prisoners were brought out Sept. 2, and put to work cleaning out sewers in Jomtien.

Deputy Mayor Pattana Boonsawad and Pattaya’s Sanitary Engineering Office coordinated with Pattaya Remand Prison to help reduce flooding in the area during the current rainy season.

The prisoners climbed down into the sewers and used gloved hands and buckets to bail out the black, smelly mess and garbage that had been clogging the sewers and preventing water from reaching the local treatment plant.

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2019-09-06--

Seems a bit like cruel and unusual punishment to me....no safety equipment either not even a canary to check for poisonous gases..
Most of this cleaning could be done by robotic equipment with cameras so only problem areas need human intervention + better designed sewers would need less cleaning and of course the big problem of all the trash/garbage/rubbish that gets either deliberately or by "accident" put down the drain...so better rubbish collection before it gets washed down the street would help.

Hate to think what the "badly behaved" prisoners have to go through.

11 minutes ago, johng said:

Seems a bit like cruel and unusual punishment to me....no safety equipment either not even a canary to check for poisonous gases..

As much money as Pattaya makes annually they sure don't like to invest any back in the infrastructure! so the only time they can clean drains is when they get a "freebie" from some abused prisoners, been happening as far back as I can remember so not likely to change - ridiculous! ???? 

25 minutes ago, johng said:

Seems a bit like cruel and unusual punishment to me....

Try and lock yourself up in a Thai prison with less than 1m2 personal space, you would love to clean sewers and have a beach view.
Most likely they will even get some nice street foods as a reward!

5 minutes ago, Curt1591 said:

This has been going on, in Bangkok, forever.

Yep, I can still remember the first time I saw them as clear as day! the sight was horrendous, stayed with me - it was well over 30 years ago!

The first time saw Thai prisoners cleaning out sewers was in Bangkok nearly thirty years ago. They had leg-irons on, and wore bright orange jumpsuits, so you could spot them easily I assume.

Well, they were bright orange when they went down, but a definite dark brown on their return.

2 hours ago, johng said:

no safety equipment either not even a canary to check for poisonous gases..

Completely normal Thai working standard.

I haven't counted, but over the years a couple of workers died by suffocation when climbing down sewers etc.

One case I remember was at the parking deck (base floor) of Central Festival Pattaya.

so this is for good behavior, what do they get for bad, watching those idiotic Thai shows on daytime TV?

I can just imagine a guard      telling a prisoner who is sick after doing this, "what we have here is a failure to communicate".  Back into the hole you dog.

Looking at their faces ,they don't look too happy,you,you and you 3 over there,

your going for a day out..........shoveling <deleted>,time to start a fight in cell block  number 3,I think.

regards worgeordie        you cannot even say Cr@p on here now

Quite normal in Bangkok - I see this quite regularly. 

I think its a good think to use Prisoners for such tasks, why not?

The only issue of concern is their safety, risk of exposure to dangerous gasses, thus, I hope there is some gas testing etc and that they are not exposed to enclosed spaces. 

From what I have seen its just pushing rods down the drains - it's free labor and tax money can go somewhere else. 

I don't get why prisoners in the West can get away with just sitting doing nothing when if fit they could be put to doing something constructive for the society they have wronged.

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think its a good think to use Prisoners for such tasks, why not?

Funny, everyone was so upset that I ordered a bucket of fried chicken as it was "so unhealthy", yet you have no problem with people aka prisoners being immersed in waste.

Ahh, life in the time of Cholera .....

18 minutes ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

Funny, everyone was so upset that I ordered a bucket of fried chicken as it was "so unhealthy", yet you have no problem with people aka prisoners being immersed in waste.

Ahh, life in the time of Cholera .....

Its drains not waste (as in human fecieas etc) , even though they are colloquially called sewers, its just drainage, run-off.

Someone has to do it, so why not prisoners ?

Where did you get the idea that they are 'immersed in waste' they use rods etc, its a dirty job but they are not immersed in anything, suggesting so just highlights your penchant for exaggeration

Finally, your complaint in the 'other' thread was just a little pathetic - hence the fairly uniform backlash, you kind of brought ridicule upon yourself in that thread similar to complaining that your manpons were never delivered (even though I went to bat for you towards the end of the thread). 

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its drains not waste (as in human fecieas etc) , even though they are colloquially called sewers, its just drainage, run-off.

Someone has to do it, so why not prisoners ?

Where did you get the idea that they are 'immersed in waste' they use rods etc, its a dirty job but they are not immersed in anything, suggesting so just highlights your penchant for exaggeration

Finally, your complaint in the 'other' thread was just a little pathetic - hence the fairly uniform backlash, you kind of brought ridicule upon yourself in that thread similar to complaining that your manpons were never delivered (even though I went to bat for you towards the end of the thread). 

You did "go to bat" for me, but you have ultimately shown your true colors for all to see.

Didn't take much did it?  I reject your description of what is in that manhole.  We won't see you going into one of those holes will we?

I didn't think so.

One more observation, do you believe that because you were honest in the other thread, that I owe you one and hence I should be dishonest in this one?  Is that how you live your life?

Sad.

2 hours ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

You did "go to bat" for me, but you have ultimately shown your true colors for all to see.

Didn't take much did it?  I reject your description of what is in that manhole.  We won't see you going into one of those holes will we?

I didn't think so.

One more observation, do you believe that because you were honest in the other thread, that I owe you one and hence I should be dishonest in this one?  Is that how you live your life?

Sad.

Agreed... You most definitely won't see me going into a man hole or drainage hole, there are plains of other jobs I really wouldn't want to do and won't do, unless of course I commit a crime and I'm locked up and find it the only way of seeing the outside world.

What are my 'true colours' for all to see? this one piqued my interest.

Within the context of these discussions: Might my true colours be that I find someone who starts a thread about not being refunded for their KFC a little ridiculous and sad, or that I don't find it objectionable that prisoners are by choice (they are not forced) to clean the drains in the towns and cities of Thailand 

And.... Where did you think I'm expecting you to be dishonest to help me prove my point?... I think you may be leaping to strange conclusion there - just don't exaggerate or distort reality - I remind you that you mentioned that these prisoners are 'immersed in waste'... So, where have you seen or how do you know that the prisoners are immersed in any waste, and by waste, do you mean human feces?.... the prisoners are cleaning street drains not septic tanks 

Note: The word sewers was used in the Headline - somewhat inaccurately, the prisoners are cleaning out the drainage system to prevent flooding.

Used to see and watch them get down and dirty in the Bangkok sewers. Mainly in the Sukhumvit area on Soi 3 or 4. Just the smell alone is enough to make you vomit. They are unprotected and from the assortment of chemicals to <deleted> in there it will probably take 10 years off of your life from just doing it 1 week dying of some sort of cancer. Human skin absorbs stuff..

Very cruel and more unusual punishment for something they say is a benefit for human beings who just don't know how severe and caustic it is.

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed... You most definitely won't see me going into a man hole or drainage hole, there are plains of other jobs I really wouldn't want to do and won't do, unless of course I commit a crime and I'm locked up and find it the only way of seeing the outside world.

What are my 'true colours' for all to see? this one piqued my interest.

Within the context of these discussions: Might my true colours be that I find someone who starts a thread about not being refunded for their KFC a little ridiculous and sad, or that I don't find it objectionable that prisoners are by choice (they are not forced) to clean the drains in the towns and cities of Thailand 

And.... Where did you think I'm expecting you to be dishonest to help me prove my point?... I think you may be leaping to strange conclusion there - just don't exaggerate or distort reality - I remind you that you mentioned that these prisoners are 'immersed in waste'... So, where have you seen or how do you know that the prisoners are immersed in any waste, and by waste, do you mean human feces?.... the prisoners are cleaning street drains not septic tanks 

Note: The word sewers was used in the Headline - somewhat inaccurately, the prisoners are cleaning out the drainage system to prevent flooding.

Anytime I walk near one it smells like s*$$**t.  

Archived