Incoming baggage to be x-rayed at Suvarnabhumi by next year: Customs

webfact

Incoming baggage to be x-rayed at Suvarnabhumi by next year: Customs

By The Nation

800_066bba89b75dca3.jpg?v=1567744514

The Customs Department will by year end complete installation of 23 x-ray machines above the baggage carousels at Suvarnabhumi Airport in a move to improve the efficiency of security checks of luggage of inbound passengers and to prevent goods smuggling. The machines will be switched on early next year.

“The machines will help improve the security check of luggage transported from inbound planes before the passengers can claim them,” Customs director-general Krisada Jinawijarana said on Friday. “At present we use the random check method by human staff, which results in smuggled goods being slipped through sometimes.”

Krisada noted that with the x-ray machines, customs officials can see what is in the luggage and immediately prompt the passengers to pay the Customs duty before leaving the airport.

“This measure is one of the policies assigned by the Ministry of Finance in order to improve the efficiency of tax collection,” he said.

Meanwhile, Finance Minister Uttama Savanayana said that in addition to installing the x-ray machines, he had also ordered the Customs Department to use internet technology systems to improve their working processes.

“The government aims to establish the National Single Window (NSW), a comprehensive network of import-export database that connects all related departments nationwide and with those of neighbouring countries,” he said.

“The system is scheduled to be up and running in three months and we only have two countries left to connect with – and that should also be finished by year-end.”

“As for the x-ray machines at Suvarnabhumi Airport, they will not only help with tax collection, but also prevent the smuggling of sensitive goods into the country, such as agricultural products, palm oil, fuel oil and drugs,” said Uttama.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30375894

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-09-06

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Well, I could think of one way.

Most lemmings and that includes most travelers allow them to full body xray them.

XRAY.

I always opt out.  But then I also travel with a child. They don't let you get go through the full body scanner with a child.  

Do you know why?

1 hour ago, webfact said:

“As for the x-ray machines at Suvarnabhumi Airport, they will not only help with tax collection, but also prevent the smuggling of sensitive goods into the country, such as agricultural products, palm oil, fuel oil and drugs,” said Uttama.

As they don't allow my wife to bring her small bottle of contact lens cleaner, just how much fuel oil would one be able to smuggle?

1 hour ago, webfact said:

“This measure is one of the policies assigned by the Ministry of Finance in order to improve the efficiency of tax collection,” he said.

Sounds like a nice little earner for the MOF. Expect more queues and irate foreigners at airports across the country. 'Cough up or go home' should be their motto.

19 minutes ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

Most lemmings and that includes most travelers allow them to full body xray them.

XRAY.

I always opt out.  But then I also travel with a child. They don't let you get go through the full body scanner with a child.  

Do you know why?

TSA have lots of reports saying it's safe etc and also reports saying that it can cause problems as they may not be able to stand still  long enough etc. They can do the walk through of the metal detectors but don't need to remove shoes for it.

You can opt for a pat down instead but then people are posting about kids suffering trauma when patted down by a 6 foot 6 inch scowling officer and some have gone as far as to say it could be used for grooming kids by sexual predators. So lots of reasons. 

3 hours ago, overherebc said:

TSA have lots of reports saying it's safe etc and also reports saying that it can cause problems as they may not be able to stand still  long enough etc. They can do the walk through of the metal detectors but don't need to remove shoes for it.

You can opt for a pat down instead but then people are posting about kids suffering trauma when patted down by a 6 foot 6 inch scowling officer and some have gone as far as to say it could be used for grooming kids by sexual predators. So lots of reasons. 

I can only find one reason to fit the facts, and that is they won't show naked children to the screeners.  When they tell you that they can't see detail, that has been proven a lie.

When the pregnant woman is corralled through the scanner along with the rest, that tells me one thing and that is they don't trust their screeners.  Full stop.

5 hours ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

XRAY.

Do you know why?

They don't do lead radiation suits in child sizes?

Will you now need a dosimeter ???? badge when you collect your luggage? 

9 hours ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

XRAY.

Do you know why?

Good for you.

They do let children go through them by the way.

No one sees you naked.  The machine identifies - by way of a box on an illustration of a stick man - any area that should be inspected further and that is followed up by a hand scan or pat down.

54 minutes ago, tgw said:

this is quite the bummer.

I usually fill the suitcase with chocolate, tartare sauce, french mayo, soluble vitamin tabs, etc.

https://www.tourismthailand.org/About-Thailand/Custom-Immigration

apparently, the limit has been changed to 80.000 baht, so my little imports should still be ok, unless customs consider 5Kg chocolate to be "unreasonable".

If it would be anything else than BELGIAN chocolate, yes it would be unreasonable.

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

The way its written is that the immigration officials are going to be mixed with tourists looking at big tv above the carousel before collaring someone.  

maybe just the way its written.

more logical surely the xray would be watching the carousel before it goes through the door to the waiting area

Archived