Chiang Rai woman arrested over fake US dollars

webfact

Chiang Rai woman arrested over fake US dollars

By Natthawat Laping
The Nation

800_c38e2137a897729.jpg?v=1567755313

A 54-year-old woman was arrested in Muang Chiang Rai on Thursday for allegedly attempting to sell fake US dollar banknotes.

Border Patrol Police deputy commander Pol Maj General Sunthorn Chalermkiat said on Friday that Masarat Nitisakyothin was found to have dollar notes in her possession worth the equivalent of Bt30 million.

She has maintained her innocence, saying the banknotes did not belong to her.

1238861.jpg

She was arrested in a sting operation led by Pol Colonel Wachira Payanoi, superintendent of the 32nd Border Patrol Police.

Posing as a buyer, Wachira was allegedly taken by Masarat to her house in tambon Rim Kok and shown the fake banknotes and a chemical liquid used to cleanse the notes of black ink that covered them.

He agreed to pay Bt4.3 million for the liquid and they allegedly settled on a 50:50 split of the take from the resale of the available banknotes.

Other police officers then appeared with a search warrant, apprehended Masarat and seized the fake banknotes, a safe box and a counting machine.

Masarat faces a charge of possessing fake or forged foreign banknotes.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30375905

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-09-06

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Posing as a buyer, Wachira was allegedly taken by Masarat to her house in tambon Rim Kok and shown the fake banknotes and a chemical liquid used to cleanse the notes of black ink that covered them.

He agreed to pay Bt4.3 million for the liquid and they allegedly settled on a 50:50 split of the take from the resale of the available banknotes.

Classic Nigerian scam for many years.

I'm curious what denomination the are???? If they are 100's they are the older model, not the newer model with the large gold 100 on the back... I can see that much in the picture....

This story reminds me of an American Expat I know living in Pattaya who went to Phnom Pehn and came back to Thailand with a stack of 50 of the fake $100 notes.... He bought them in a market place for 2 or 3 USD so he took them just for amusement and passed them around..... AND THEN.... when I learned about it I suggested what could have happened to him if he had got caught at the airport entering Thailand with all those  counterfeit bills..... He had never gave it a thought but he was happy that he made it through with out that happening..... Can you just imagine if it had gone the other way?????

7 hours ago, OneZero said:

Wachira was allegedly taken by Masarat to her house in tambon Rim Kok "

Is this house right in the central city?  Does anybody know exactly where it is?

Apparently my close neighbors have some part time jobs.

The news article says she was arrested in Muang Chiang Rai. That means somewhere in the city's central district. "Rim Kok" means the edge of the Kok River which flows through Chiang Rai, so Tambol Rim Kok is a subdistrict on the river in the district that includes the city. I bet a little googling would turn up a map if you're still curious.

4 hours ago, LawrenceN said:

The news article says she was arrested in Muang Chiang Rai. That means somewhere in the city's central district. "Rim Kok" means the edge of the Kok River which flows through Chiang Rai, so Tambol Rim Kok is a subdistrict on the river in the district that includes the city. I bet a little googling would turn up a map if you're still curious.

Ya, that's why I asked the question if anybody knows exactly where the house is.  I own a condo at the Condotel (Utaradit Rd) and visit CR occasionally.  For all I know the house could have been just down the street (except I think the Condotel tambon is "Vieng").

1 hour ago, ThePioneer said:

Did you bother to look at the pictures in the OP?

I see lots of dollar notes without black ink covering.

From the OP:

On 9/6/2019 at 2:47 PM, webfact said:

The scam requires clean notes, since there actually is no magic black ink cleanser.

15 minutes ago, timendres said:

From the OP:

The scam requires clean notes, since there actually is no magic black ink cleanser.

Then where all those rolls of fake USD notes in the picture come from?

Do you really think they would go through the trouble of printing them first for then to paint them black?

By the way if you search FB there is a video showing the police applying the chemical on video and showing the clean USD notes as a result.

Archived