Airport Full Body Scanners - Do you opt out?

Do you allow airports to use the full body scanner to screen you?  

104 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have never gone through one of those full body X RAY scanners.  I always travel with my minor son.  They don't allow you to go through the scanner, at least in the United States, if you are traveling with a child.  Now I know some of you will say that is because they are protecting the young children from exposure to radiation.  You might be right, except they allow pregnant women to go through. 

So why do you think they won't allow children to go through the scanner?  I know the answer, but I'm curious if you can figure it out.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I always travel with my minor son. "  So you have a major son as well ?

Why not send him out for you KFC next time.. That way you'll get your cholesterol fix on time & not have to whinge about getting a refund.

Thais security again dont understand how to use them. I saw them last week at Swampy make an alien take off his flip flops as the scanner maybe cant see through rubber? He couldnt believe it; got so irate he threw the flip flops in the rubbish bin there.

Prefer them as have artificial joint which sets off metal detectors which then makes them pat you down and use the wand along with typically testing for explosives.  A lot of extra time which can be avoided with the body scan as in and out in a few seconds.  In US just tell them you have a medical device and they will usually open for you if closed for regular passengers.

About 10 yrs ago visited UK and on leaving Heathrow had a random wand check, which displayed explosive residue on my person or on my carry on.. This was when London was a light with arson fires.. I was surrounded by 3 officers. 

I was told to go through the body scanner, which I initially objected to, and was told if I don't, I won't be leaving today.. At that time there was a lot of controversy about emitted radiation.. I went through, and got the all clear.. 

Have of the folks manning the scanners... full body or not... I fear would not know what to look for. At least body scanners show you where something is that might need a closer look. Color coded xray images... that needs a trained eye.... right...  not focused on a FB page.

10 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

I don't have a problem with them, as i'm a white Anglo Saxon who never travels with a stomach full of coke filled condoms...

Whats the prob unless you are a Nigerian drug runner or South American cocaine mule?

Dissenting opinion

But not everyone agrees. Some experts say the cancer risk may be higher because they believe the per-scan dose is higher. Others use math that yields a different estimate of the additional number of cancers. In an article in the April 2011 issue of Radiology, Dr. David Brenner of Columbia University estimates that one billion of the backscatter x-ray scans would result in 100 additional cancers, which he says "no longer represents a trivial population risk." Brenner's position is that the cancer risk from backscatter x-ray scanners might be acceptable, given the benefits of possibly stopping a terrorist, but millimeter-wave scanning is a feasible alternative that doesn't involve any ionizing radiation exposure, so why not use it?

The TSA's stance is that by investing in multiple suppliers of imaging technology, it's able to leverage competition to procure systems that "provide the best value to the government."

https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/are-full-body-airport-scanners-safe

2 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Yeah, well, it's dangerous walking out the front door.

Something's gonna get us one day, even if it's an x-ray machine in the local hospital checking your ulcer....

I never said the opposite but to say you don't care because you are not a drug mule is not the point for most peoples.

3 hours ago, legend49 said:

Thais security again dont understand how to use them. I saw them last week at Swampy make an alien take off his flip flops as the scanner maybe cant see through rubber? He couldnt believe it; got so irate he threw the flip flops in the rubbish bin there.

Hey asking too much. Do you really think there has been / will be comprehensive training to the point where the staff understand WHY? 

WHY? Let's face it 99% of the staff attended typical government schools where they learn the correct answer (if they're lucky) but have no understanding whatever of WHY it's the correct answer or approach etc. And not their fault.

3 hours ago, legend49 said:

I know, right?!  Racist airport security, always hassling the Aliens!

Tell him to wear his protest Converse next time, that'll really show 'em. 

Do your alien mate a solid, hook him up with a pair of socks, bro, the floors are funky.

image.png.a4486632600609c83d09682de1e94fdd.pngimage.png.fbfc166cec4b525b0ca75f0cd0bbd65f.png

First they take your belt, then tell you to stand in the scanner with your hands over your head.  Just how are my trousers supposed to stay on?  I'm not particularly shy, but giving half the airport an eyeful isn't on my bucket list.  ????

2 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

First they take your belt, then tell you to stand in the scanner with your hands over your head.  Just how are my trousers supposed to stay on?  I'm not particularly shy, but giving half the airport an eyeful isn't on my bucket list.  ????

Don't go commando 

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Hey asking too much. Do you really think there has been / will be comprehensive training to the point where the staff understand WHY? 

WHY? Let's face it 99% of the staff attended typical government schools where they learn the correct answer (if they're lucky) but have no understanding whatever of WHY it's the correct answer or approach etc. And not their fault.

And never forget that that also applies to 90% of Thai polititians and all those in positions of authority in Thailand. This is compounded by their probable purchase of their job rather than getting it on merit. Most worrying is that this may also apply to physicians.

Archived