What maintenance do you do on your fans?

Hal65

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...when the plastic fan was injected molded about 10 years ago.

Why does Big C, Amorn and others always seem to have a large stock of replacement fan blades?
Silly me thought it might be because of damage caused by human hand, dropping the fan, getting knocked and blown over, getting damaged in transit on the pick ups etc etc

Having read all of the posts so far I see that that was far too simplistic.....

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

They (the stickers on the blade) are probably for fan blade balance (what). Try and keep up.

Hahahaha....!  Nothing posted about this "balance" (non-)issue is anything that needs to be kept up with!

Why would fan blades be balanced using an easily removed paper sticker?  Try to keep rational!  

I've just removed the sticker and it has made no difference whatsoever (obviously, no one could reasonably think that it would) so that's that theory disposed of.  I also cleaned half of the blades and left the rest dusty and, so far, perfectly smooth running.

Yes, but insufficient temp. for a thermal moulded plastic component to cause failure. 

Edit: doubt the fan temp would be in excess of 60 C, thermal injected plastics are moulded at above 200 C

Most cheap plastic fan blades are styrene, which will melt at about 100-120C.

The temperature used for injection molding is much higher than the melting point, otherwise the plastic will start getting hard ones it leaves the heating element.

“Them what bite, gonna get bit. Them what don’t bite, gonna damn sure get ate up” JDH ‘77

Hahahaha....!  Nothing posted about this "balance" (non-)issue is anything that needs to be kept up with!

Why would fan blades be balanced using an easily removed paper sticker?  Try to keep rational!  

I've just removed the sticker and it has made no difference whatsoever (obviously, no one could reasonably think that it would) so that's that theory disposed of.  I also cleaned half of the blades and left the rest dusty and, so far, perfectly smooth running.
Only half of the blades?

That seems like quite a dramatic experimentation, please be careful.......

On 9/6/2019 at 8:24 AM, jastheace said:

when they don't sound right, strip and clean, light oil. spares readily available, fan blade, bush bearings and spindles, all for pennies. depends how much time you have on your hands. I have too much obviously. I only fix my own though, I tell other people to take it to a repair shop or bin and replace. hatari ones cheap 'nuf

Where do you buy spare parts?

49 minutes ago, Anythingleft? said:

Silly me thought it might be because of damage caused by human hand, dropping the fan, getting knocked and blown over, getting damaged in transit on the pick ups etc etc

Having read all of the posts so far I see that that was far too simplistic.....

How do you treat the rest of your possessions, with the same due care?

39 minutes ago, Anythingleft? said:

Only half of the blades?

That seems like quite a dramatic experimentation, please be careful.......

Half an experiment, extrapolated to full investigation ????

50 minutes ago, RideJocky said:

Most cheap plastic fan blades are styrene, which will melt at about 100-120C.

The temperature used for injection molding is much higher than the melting point, otherwise the plastic will start getting hard ones it leaves the heating element.

“Them what bite, gonna get bit. Them what don’t bite, gonna damn sure get ate up” JDH ‘77

Styrene, not likely - reasonable for elcheapo coffee cups, picnic plates and loose packaging filler. 

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

Have you tried taking off that easily removed paper sticker?  I have to use a heat gun. But the paper sticker will be far too light to be worth using to balance the blade.

Though my fans have small metal weights with double sided tape that are supplied to use to balance them.

1 minute ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Have you tried taking off that easily removed paper sticker?  I have to use a heat gun. But the paper sticker will be far too light to be worth using to balance the blade.

Though my fans have small metal weights with double sided tape that are supplied to use to balance them.

I had one 6 bladed large diameter fan that needed a 10Bht coin glued onto 1 blade to get good balance. 

Started the process with a 5Bht and bulldog click to establish the culprit blade, refined it from there using different positions on the upper side of the blade using the 10Bht and sticky tape until I was happy with it, then a touch of super glue coin to blade. 7 years now smooth as smooth. 

15 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

How many blades does your fan have?

7 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Oh dear... you took me seriously.

8 hours ago, elgenon said:

Where do you buy spare parts?

just in case you havn't read the whole thread, in pattaya try amorn, amazing what you can get there. in ubon theres several shops in the Chinese area 'tween the mun river and the park. any other parts of the country, ask in a local thread, but the shops stick out like a sore thumb tbh.

8 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

"But the paper sticker will be far too light to be worth using to balance the blade".

God...I know that, that was my (sarcastic) point!

On 9/8/2019 at 8:31 AM, NanLaew said:

These fan breakages are usually caused by a heat-stressed plastic hub breaking down. The crack increases with the centrifugal forces and increasing imbalance until the hub partially disintegrates. Now what can cause the plastic hub to get so hot?

...and the excess heat passes down the shaft and into the plastic fan hub.

Here endeth the 3rd lesson.

I know that you're probably trying to take the urine, but, just in case you're not, guess what is one of he least efficient conductors of heat...yes, plastic.

On 9/8/2019 at 8:31 AM, NanLaew said:
On 9/7/2019 at 8:45 PM, Just Weird said:

Those breakages are not caused by dust-induced imbalance!  Thanks for the superfluous clue that I didn't need.

These fan breakages are usually caused by a heat-stressed plastic hub breaking down. The crack increases with the centrifugal forces and increasing imbalance until the hub partially disintegrates. Now what can cause the plastic hub to get so hot?

On 9/7/2019 at 9:23 PM, RideJocky said:

Dust accumulation on the blade and shroud generally will not cause imbalance, as it typically collects evenly. But dust on the blade and or shroud absolutely increases the friction which has a significant negative impact on the performance and the longevity of the motor.

...and the excess heat passes down the shaft and into the plastic fan hub.

Here endeth the 3rd lesson.

Of course, all that balderdash relies on the assumption that

(a) the plastic blades are constructed without consideration for the excess heat that you think will be conducted to the blades, (b)that the electric motors are made with so little tolerance for extra torque needed that a minute bit of dust on the blades will set it overheating and

(c)that the plastic blades (that in reality will not be conducting enough heat to be significant from the motor that actually will not be overheating because the weight of dust is also insignificant) that are spinning very fast in the air will be not getting cooled by that air that they are spinning in!

QED.

5 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Of course, all that balderdash relies on the assumption that

(a) the plastic blades are constructed without consideration for the excess heat that you think will be conducted to the blades, (b)that the electric motors are made with so little tolerance for extra torque needed that a minute bit of dust on the blades will set it overheating and

(c)that the plastic blades (that in reality will not be conducting enough heat to be significant from the motor that actually will not be overheating because the weight of dust is also insignificant) that are spinning very fast in the air will be not getting cooled by that air that they are spinning in!

QED.

omg, how serious can you guys get on a topic about fan maintenance?

i'm here for advice for no more than the next 12 hours btw...

9 hours ago, jastheace said:

omg, how serious can you guys get on a topic about fan maintenance?

i'm here for advice for no more than the next 12 hours btw...

You missed my assertion, and, therefore, my underlying point that all this was balderdash, did you?  But, having said that, did you read the thread title at any stage?

By the way, aren't you being a little bit of a hypocrite considering that you seemed to forget that you contributed to the "seriousness"!...

23 hours ago, Artisi said:

Styrene, not likely - reasonable for elcheapo coffee cups, picnic plates and loose packaging filler. 

"likely it is, but in the form of ABS, not expanded polystyrene as you refer to".

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Polystyrene (C8H8) and ABS are rather different as ABS is  Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene ‎(C8H8·C4H6·C3H3N)

Correct, saying that styrene is ABS is the same as saying fish sauce is som tam. 

Archived