Da Lat

geisha

Hi,I am  not an expat , but I used to love spending thé European winters in Thailand, and I’ve been doing this since 1985. When in Thailand, I like travelling around, visiting the country side, Issan, the north and south and islands.

i also travel to neighbouring countries , from Bali to Burma, I’ve been to them all except Korea. Now, with my foreign friends moving away, or not wanting to stay in Thailand any more, plus the complications of the TM30 every time I go on a long weekend , I’ve decided to look for somewhere else. I’ve been to South America, beautiful , but a little unsafe, so I might try Vietnam. Ive been many times. How about Da Lat. ? The weather sounds great, i love Vietnamese food, and am very used to the people having worked with them all my life. If anyone has any info on Da Lat to stay for a few months, please. Otherwise, any other town where there are shops , restaurants, that is liveable. I like my comforts and English  speaking TV , preferably somewhere with pools to swim. Thanks. 

I've been, same as above, didn't do much for me, but that's just me.

spoke with some that are lving there and love it.

its very quiet, but that's what some like.

some like Bangkok, some like isaan.

whether it's Malaysia, Singapore, Vietnam, Thailand, Laos Cambodia. Everywhere has its plus and minus, nothing is perfect, have to spend time there and see what suits your tastes.

Hi. Been to Vietnam a number of times and love it’ Not been to Dalat but I intend to but not a few months. One place we loved was Na Trang, beautiful long beach plenty cafes, restraints plenty places to go. Hire a car and go into the country side. 

"some like  

Bangkok, some like isaan.

whether it's Malaysia, Singapore, Vietnam, Thailand, Laos Cambodia. Everywhere has its plus and minus, nothing is perfect, have to spend time there and see what suits your tastes"

That should be very helpfull?

1 minute ago, xxeo said:

Honking is normal in Vietnam, to my regret. So many bikes, so few cars and buses. Like in Saigon many years back.

Cool or cold weather in Dalat? I wonna be there in February, what climate to expect?

... and what's good; is that (there vs LOS), you don't get shot for honking!

2 hours ago, xxeo said:

Honking is normal in Vietnam, to my regret. So many bikes, so few cars and buses. Like in Saigon many years back.

Cool or cold weather in Dalat? I wonna be there in February, what climate to expect?

Many years ago I was in dalat in May. It was pretty chilly at night. Bring some warm clothes.

For me, after decades in central Thailand, Dalat would be too cold :It's also too touristy. 

Moved from Thailand to Vietnam 2 years ago. Been living in the Delta area, where I found the people very welcoming and very honest :hardly any rip-offs like in the more touristy area. Pick a medium sized town with not too many tourist :There are still department-stores, supermarkets and plenty of restaurants without the insane traffic and less of the senseless nerve-racking honking you get in bigger cities. 

On 9/6/2019 at 7:06 PM, HarryAbel said:

Hi, I was just there. The weather was nice and cold compared to Thailand. What struck me was the overwhelming amount of motorbikes, and the constant honking. Personally I don’t think the city have enough to offer to stay there more than a few days.

Totally agree. I love Da Lat and visit at least a couple of times a year but never for more than a few days. Its way too small to stay long term.

For me the diabolical food in Da Lat is another reason not to stay long. I love Thai style VN food because it’s adapted for a Thai (and my) palate so it’s full of flavour and spicy.

Da Lat climate is year round cool which means swimming pools are rare. Walking is great for this reason.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Dalat has a very nice climate; however, the novelty wore off after a few days. One expensive-looking golf course, and a gathering point for bird-watchers. No visible night life.

Not like the hard partying life in Chaing Mai. You Brits cant be without a pub, neh?

Archived